Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever ask for up front payment before accepting a job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 16:04
SITE STAFF
Jul 23, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever ask for up front payment before accepting a job?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
German to English
no never Jul 23, 2013

as fortunately, I have reliable customers that (generally) pay in time, even if the projects are larger

[Edited at 2013-07-23 21:28 GMT]

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 02:04
Turkish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jul 23, 2013

I either grant credit terms to a client, if I deem them to be creditworthy, or else insist on advance payment (in which case I make a discount).

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 23, 2013

In my world, that would be tantamount to saying "I don't trust you (and am only interested in your money)...". Not the best way to start a relationship of any kind IMO.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No ... Jul 23, 2013

I have never done so. I'm with Neilmac - I don't think it makes a very secure foundation for a business relationship. I don't want to do business with anyone I don't have faith in.

Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
No, but... Jul 23, 2013

Well, that's indeed an hard way to make acquaintance with your client, 'please pay me before I translate your text', but sometimes I wonder if I should do this: it's already the 6th time I'm being scammed by some jerk for an amount above 1,000 USD. It's pretty depressing to know you're trying to make a living, spending almost a complete week on a text and discovering that the guy used another of those aliases which are not blacklisted. Sometimes I feel like I could even make a living hunting those scammers. Well, nevermind.

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Jul 23, 2013

I do make a habit of trying to check a new client's credentials (on Proz and/or elsewhere). If I really don't trust them, I don't accept their job. So far it has worked, although of course for all I know, I may have missed out on acquiring a perfectly lovely and trustworthy new client or two.

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Yes, partial payment in certain cases. Jul 23, 2013

For instance, when someone I have not worked with before asks me to translate or edit a book or other very large text, we arrange that they will pay one-third up front, the second third sometime in the middle of the process (by which time we both are more comfortable and trusting about each other) and the last third before I submit the last chapter.

Clients don't seem to mind. No one has ever balked at or refused this arrangement, and it reassures me that they are a serious, paying client.

[Edited at 2013-07-23 10:06 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Partial payment with new clients Jul 23, 2013

When an individual direct client comes to me for a translation, I ask for half up front. That seems to work nicely; they are usually pleased for the opportunity to reassure me that they are reliable.

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Not as yet Jul 23, 2013

I have never asked to be paid before starting on a job as I mainly work with agencies which have a good rating on the Blue Board. I might ask for half up front if a new own client wants me to translate a large project. I have had problems with known contacts in the past, one of whom never paid me.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yep Jul 23, 2013

DianeGM wrote:

I have never done so. I'm with Neilmac - I don't think it makes a very secure foundation for a business relationship. I don't want to do business with anyone I don't have faith in.

Same here. I either trust my gut or don't accept the offer. In any case, I wouldn't even consider taking a large job from a first-time client. Trust is something that builds up over time.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:04
Member (2008)
French to English
Yes Jul 23, 2013

From time to time I get a request from someone who has a poor rating on the BB. Rather than ignore them or else simply do business with them at the risk of not getting paid, I will ask for payment in advance and tell them why. Usually that's the last I'll hear of them, but once in a while it's been accepted - I suppose they have passed the requirement on to their client.

[Edited at 2013-07-23 11:19 GMT]

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
not really Jul 23, 2013

only when a huge job comes along, then I want partial payment, otherwise my account runs dry!
Not many agencies would agree to up-front payment.

tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:34
Member (2012)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
No Jul 23, 2013

No agency or company agrees to pay up-front payment. Most of big jobs are received by regular clients, which are our trustworthy.

Diana Edmond
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:04
Member (2008)
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Yes Jul 23, 2013

I have, but only to one or two agencies who have a bad reputation on Blue Board or elsewhere, and I also explained to them why I requested an up-front payment. Believe me, if they are desperate, they will pay (although it is advisable to avoid them).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever ask for up front payment before accepting a job?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search