Poll: Do you have professional indemnity insurance?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 3, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have professional indemnity insurance?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mary Worby. View the poll results »

Galina F
Galina F
United States
Local time: 03:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Not yet Aug 3, 2013

But I'm planning on buying it one day.

Have a great day,
Galina

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 10:04
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Curious.. Aug 3, 2013

What does a TRANSLATOR's "Professional Indemnity Insurance" cover ?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Aug 3, 2013

Julian Holmes asked the same question about a year ago. Any changes?

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/233368-poll:_do_you_have_professional_indemnity_insurance.html

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:34
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
No Aug 3, 2013

No, I have not.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 3, 2013

I don't think I need it. In fact, I had to google to find out more about the concept of "professional indemnity" and according to wikipedia: "Professional liability insurance (PLI), also called professional indemnity insurance (PII) but more commonly known as errors & omissions (E&O) in the US, is a form of liability insurance that helps protect professional advice- and service-providing individuals and companies from bearing the full cost of defending against a negligence claim made by a client... See more
I don't think I need it. In fact, I had to google to find out more about the concept of "professional indemnity" and according to wikipedia: "Professional liability insurance (PLI), also called professional indemnity insurance (PII) but more commonly known as errors & omissions (E&O) in the US, is a form of liability insurance that helps protect professional advice- and service-providing individuals and companies from bearing the full cost of defending against a negligence claim made by a client, and damages awarded in such a civil lawsuit. "

A couple of months ago I translated "15 days" from Spanish as "15 weeks" instead of "2 weeks". That's the only instance of "negligence" on my part I can recall in the past 15 years or so and I can't imagine any clients I work with going so far as to make a formal "claim" against me for something like that.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:04
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Aug 3, 2013

I have thought about it, but it is very expensive and so far I haven't heard of any incidents among translators.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have professional indemnity insurance?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »