Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How many hours per week do you actually spend working (translating, accounting, marketing, etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:53
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It varies Aug 5, 2013

On the average I dedicate myself to translation-related activities between 35 - 40 hours a week.

However, last month's "average" was 80 - 85 hours/week (3 weeks in a row). Perhaps 2% of that time was spent writing invoices and establishing new connections. One can't work so many hours 7 days a week without taking a break...this week with perhaps only 10 - 15 hours of translation-related work.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Less than I used to Aug 5, 2013

I'm experimenting with Mies van der Rohe's dictum "less is more".

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is your dog a silent partner? Aug 5, 2013

Triston Goodwin wrote:

But because my wife and I translate, build websites, work in graphic design, and I still dabble in construction. I am much happier person when I'm working and being able to work along side my beautiful wife makes it perfect.

Oh, my dog tries to climb on my lap while I work, but he quickly receives a good fajada. Gaby doesn't seem to mind him though.

[Edited at 2013-08-05 04:37 GMT]

Glad to hear you have a pooch, Triston. What's his/her name? Does he/she sit on the board? Does he/she bark at unpleasant clients?

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
May I ask Aug 5, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nunya
As in “none of your business.”

They're really scraping the barrel with these poll questions. My suggestion: stop thinking with your lizard brain and use your evolved hominid brain!

Hi Mario, I actually had the same impression, but then I thought, how many hours per week does it take to earn a decent living?

A number of variables have to be taken into account:
rate applied, speed for instance, but also taxes, field of specialization, country of residence (i.e. cost of living)

So at the end of the day, I think the poll is interesting and useful, for example (and this is a general example):
Family of four, main breadwinner, working in the technical field, etc. - working hours 35 per week.
Taxes paid: 25% of income, living in a big city (or a small village) and so on, we can have a clear idea of choices made by colleagues, and we could think about changing some of our standards and mabybe change something in our approach to work.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 01:53
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
80+ ??! Aug 5, 2013

As much as I admire that ability to translate 80 hours/week, I wouldn't want to work any time close to that! When does a translator who works 80 hours/week get to eat, sleep, give his/her back and eyes some rest, avoid dizziness, BREATH, and if he/she has a family and kids... wow.. I don't even want to think of that possibility!
Which brings us to the same question: Is it worth it?

And, as a pharmacist, may I add: Have you ever wondered what are the possible hazards on your ph
... See more
As much as I admire that ability to translate 80 hours/week, I wouldn't want to work any time close to that! When does a translator who works 80 hours/week get to eat, sleep, give his/her back and eyes some rest, avoid dizziness, BREATH, and if he/she has a family and kids... wow.. I don't even want to think of that possibility!
Which brings us to the same question: Is it worth it?

And, as a pharmacist, may I add: Have you ever wondered what are the possible hazards on your physical and mental health if you worked for that intensity in the long term?
Translation is considered to be a stressful profession, so yes, again: IS IT WORTH IT?

[Edited at 2013-08-05 13:42 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Second question (yours) is better Aug 5, 2013

Gianluca Marras wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nunya

They're really scraping the barrel with these poll questions. My suggestion: stop thinking with your lizard brain and use your evolved hominid brain!

Hi Mario, I actually had the same impression, but then I thought, how many hours per week does it take to earn a decent living?

A number of variables have to be taken into account:
rate applied, speed for instance, but also taxes, field of specialization, country of residence (i.e. cost of living)

So at the end of the day, I think the poll is interesting and useful, for example (and this is a general example):
Family of four, main breadwinner, working in the technical field, etc. - working hours 35 per week.
Taxes paid: 25% of income, living in a big city (or a small village) and so on, we can have a clear idea of choices made by colleagues, and we could think about changing some of our standards and mabybe change something in our approach to work.

Gianluca,

I really like your second question (How many hours per week does it take to earn a decent living as a translator? (boldface is my addition)

This question would invite a useful discussion on cost of living standards in different regions of the world, among other things.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
But... Aug 5, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

I really like your second question (How many hours per week does it take to earn a decent living as a translator? (boldface is my addition)

This question would invite a useful discussion on cost of living standards in different regions of the world, among other things.

In that case, wouldn't you have to define what you consider a decent living first of all? People might have very different ideas of what a decent living means to them.

To get back to the original question:
If I get enough work it is not unusual for me to work up to 60 hours a week. Do I like it? No, to be quite honest, I hate it sometimes. Plus I do feel guilty because I feel I have to neglect other people I would like to spend more time with. But experience has taught me that there may always be times when business is very slow, so I don't think I have that much choice.

BTW, at least 45% of what I make has to be spent on taxes and mandatory health insurance.

Vibeke Degn-P
Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Could we keep Proz professional? Aug 5, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nunya

Dear, dear Mario. You know it's not mandatory to answer the daily poll on Proz? You can ignore it. Walk away. Look in another direction. Exit Proz and go back to work. I would really appreciate it if you would on days like this, when you find the question sooo unbearable. If I want to read negative, off topic answers online, I can go to an online newspaper and get my fix of trolling there. But Proz is my professional internet meeting place, so could we please try to keep it professional?

There is also this small piece of wisdom we all could use - myself included after writing this post: "Your thoughts are not facts." I understand that you probably want to be a troll on this poll, and that you think your thoughts on what "a good question" is, is a fact - but hey! Read some of the other answers. Some of us like to hear how others feel.
If you don't like the question - ignore it. It works for me. Maybe for you too?
Kind regards,
Vibeke
(working about 30 hours a week - doesn't want to be too tired when the weekend comes)

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Good to see Aug 5, 2013

inkweaver wrote:

BTW, at least 45% of what I make has to be spent on taxes and mandatory health insurance.

that I am not alone in those senses;-)

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
People's opinions are valid. Nothing unprofessional about having one. Aug 5, 2013

Vibeke Degn-P wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nunya

Dear, dear Mario. You know it's not mandatory to answer the daily poll on Proz? You can ignore it. Walk away. Look in another direction. Exit Proz and go back to work. I would really appreciate it if you would on days like this, when you find the question sooo unbearable. If I want to read negative, off topic answers online, I can go to an online newspaper and get my fix of trolling there. But Proz is my professional internet meeting place, so could we please try to keep it professional?

There is also this small piece of wisdom we all could use - myself included after writing this post: "Your thoughts are not facts." I understand that you probably want to be a troll on this poll, and that you think your thoughts on what "a good question" is, is a fact - but hey! Read some of the other answers. Some of us like to hear how others feel.
Kind regards,
Vibeke
(working about 30 hours a week - doesn't want to be too tired when the weekend comes)

It's not because someone answers with a negative or sarcastic comment that Proz professionalism will suffer. Being dead serious all the time isn't one of the requirements for being a translator afaik and lightening up can be good for one's health.

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Difficult to quantify Aug 5, 2013

I answered 41-50 hrs, because that's what it feels like, but it's ages since I've kept a record of how many hours I actually put in. It's also difficult to quantify because when I'm bored, or stuck on a particular sentence, I wander off to websites (like now) instead of getting up and taking a break, so this all gets mixed in with how much time I spend in front of the computer...

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Chimpa Aug 5, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

Triston Goodwin wrote:

But because my wife and I translate, build websites, work in graphic design, and I still dabble in construction. I am much happier person when I'm working and being able to work along side my beautiful wife makes it perfect.

Oh, my dog tries to climb on my lap while I work, but he quickly receives a good fajada. Gaby doesn't seem to mind him though.

[Edited at 2013-08-05 04:37 GMT]

Glad to hear you have a pooch, Triston. What's his/her name? Does he/she sit on the board? Does he/she bark at unpleasant clients?

His name is Chimpa (or Chu). One night Gaby and I were chatting about how nice it would be to have a trained monkey to do all the simple tasks around the house, like turning off the bedroom light so we don't have to get out of bed or taking out the trash. We ended up getting a beagle, but named him Chimpanzee.

While Chimpa doesn't have voting rights, he is the public face of the company. Our super secret awesome project is code named "Project Chu," as well. He does bark at unpleasant clients, as well as the neighbors, bugs, and everything else.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mario, there is nothing wrong with the question. Aug 5, 2013

I think these daily polls are not only useful from a professional point of view. They also help to make us feel that we are in touch with other members of the translating community all over the world. As somebody else pointed out, if you do not like the question, just ignore it. There is no obligation to answer the poll and even less to post something in the discussion, as you seem to feel.

About the question, I answered 31-40, which I figure is correct, but I really do not know. I
... See more
I think these daily polls are not only useful from a professional point of view. They also help to make us feel that we are in touch with other members of the translating community all over the world. As somebody else pointed out, if you do not like the question, just ignore it. There is no obligation to answer the poll and even less to post something in the discussion, as you seem to feel.

About the question, I answered 31-40, which I figure is correct, but I really do not know. I "work" about 12-14 hours a day in front of the computer, but I do not only work. I also use it for lots of other activities, and I have no idea what percentage of my time is spent actually working. If I have a large job with a tight deadline I might work for long hours at a stretch without stopping, but if there is not so much pressure, I get sidelined a bit too often. I might have to research a term and get interested in it and read about it longer than what would be necessary to make sure about it, or I might browse the news, or look up something that came up in the book I am currently reading, or just travel around the world virtually in Google Earth. And then I have no idea how much time I spend away from the computer, taking short breaks, eating, helping a little around the house, talking to my wife, taking a few laps in the pool, walking the dogs, etc.

It is the greatest advantage of being a freelancer.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good advice Aug 5, 2013

Vibeke Degn-P wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nunya

Kind regards,
Vibeke

That's good advice, but calling someone a troll is not professional either.

Joachim Milz
Joachim Milz
Germany
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
25 hours per week Jul 2, 2022

That's my average. If I am having a busy week, It can be close to 40, and when I am taking it easy, just 15 hours. But these are actual working hours. I do track my time with an app, usually doing 60-minute sessions. Invoicing is mostly done at the end of the month. I do have a company (not related to translations), so I spend anywhere from 5-15 hours/week on developing my business as well.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hours per week do you actually spend working (translating, accounting, marketing, etc.)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »