Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If you could do it all over again, would you choose same career?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:58
SITE STAFF
Aug 6, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you could do it all over again, would you choose same career?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mohamed Mahmoud. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, probably Aug 6, 2013

Although to tell the truth, it chose me...

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
One of those imponderables Aug 6, 2013

If I hadn't chosen translation I wouldn't have all the wonderful things I have now.

On the other hand, if I'd chosen another career I might have ended up with even more...

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Probably not Aug 6, 2013

A year ago I would have replied "yes, definitely", now I have come to a point where I – unfortunately – have to say "probably not". However, this has less to do with translation as such as with the "attending ills" (like being a freelancer in Germany).

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
Exactly Aug 6, 2013

neilmac wrote:

Things just happen. But it may have been worse.

tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:28
Member (2012)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
Probably yes Aug 6, 2013

translation career is good career. I was an seo expert where I found very hard to earn livelihood. then I chose translation as career, I found it is satisfactory position for me and my family. As I have been doing I am doing good and perhaps I would choose the same if it could be happen.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 11:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here! Aug 6, 2013

neilmac wrote:

I had plenty of other jobs (ranging from hotel management to PR and account executive) before starting working as a translator. If I could do it all over again (figure of speech, obviously), would I choose to become a translator again? Knowing what I know now, probably yes! I am really doing what I love and I am good at it.

[Edited at 2013-08-06 15:09 GMT]

Gallagy
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
translation last in long line of careers Aug 6, 2013

I can't see any more changes of career after this. I've worked in so many different jobs and loved most of them while I was doing them.

Though I've been translating part-time for many years I am only full-time for the last 4 years and while it's great not having to commute and being my own boss I miss some things about my most recent career, teaching.

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
French to English
Yes, but Aug 6, 2013

I would have started my translation career earlier, if I could have my time over again. However, it's really only the existence of Distance Learning MA translation courses that made it possible for me to get this career started. I enjoy it so much more than my previous career in librarianship.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:58
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Probably not... Aug 6, 2013

...but fate is unpredictable

It all goes back to the fateful day at grammar school whem I was a stripling of about 16 or 17. I went to see my Latin and Greek teachers in the Masters' Common Room during their teabreak. I asked to see them and three of them (the other two were hiding) came out and stood at the top of the stone steps above me sipping away at their mid-morning cuppa.

"What could I be if I continue my Latin and Greek studies at college, sirs?" I asked innocently. The answer was immediate and all three of them tacitly agreed in the career choices open to me, "You could become a teacher like or us become a computer programmer." The former of the two options was the less palatable. So, I opted to choose something completely different and bought myself a book with a book token I received as a school prize. It was the first book I picked up in a bookshop that matched the face value of the book token, and it was titled Teach Yourself Japanese, which I did.

I suppose I could have become an engineer but that path, too, was thwarted by another career-changing event when I was 13.

[Edited at 2013-08-06 10:32 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No idea Aug 6, 2013

And not that translation was my first choice, though I did consider philology as a young lad.

With the benefit of foreknowledge, I'd probably have tried to finish law school and translation school around the same time, get credentialled faster, perhaps get some EU funding to spend on hardware, software and office paraphernalia.

Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Perhaps Aug 6, 2013

Anthropology instead.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ah, there are so many careers I would love to do/have done Aug 6, 2013

...but that doesn't stop me enjoying this one and, I like to think, it probably means I'm better at this one, since I'm always nosing around and finding out about other things. Curiosity didn't kill this cat, it brought me more knowledge.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't know ... Aug 6, 2013

But I do quite enjoy this crazy roller-coaster as it goes

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
If I could turn back time... Aug 6, 2013

...then I would change one day, actually only 5 minutes decades ago when I made the wrong choice. So if I could turn back time, then I would (have) become a pilot...which also requires languages.

And then, after having retired from active duty, I would become a translator cause I do love this profession and its freedom.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could do it all over again, would you choose same career?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search