Poll: When I first started as a freelancer, I planned on it being a...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 17:37
SITE STAFF
Aug 16, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I first started as a freelancer, I planned on it being a...".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Part-time / permanent Aug 16, 2013

Although I didn't actually "plan" anything, it just sort of happened...

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 01:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ditto Aug 16, 2013

neilmac wrote:

I did not plan to become a translator, it just came my way...

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:37
Turkish to English
+ ...
I wasn't sure Aug 16, 2013

Despite having made a concerted effort twice previously in my life to become a freelance translator without ever getting any work, the first professional translations that I did was when I was running a small company in Turkey that provided in-company language training courses and, out of the blue and unsolicited, we received translation requests from some of our client companies. I did most of the Turkish to English translation work that came along, so the first paid translations I ever did were very much a sideline.

That was 1996, and I think I have come a long way since then. I have been at it full time for the last eight years.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Part-time & permanent Aug 16, 2013

Actually, I though of working fulltime as a freelancer, but when it comes to translations, it turned out that I wanted to do this type of work only part-time but permanently.

The other "half of part-time" is spend on freelancing in a different career.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Aug 16, 2013

neilmac wrote:

Was always just working on the side, but the workload just seemed to increase and the company that I was working for full time went bust which was a good reason just to go full time.

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:37
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Full time, permanent Aug 16, 2013

I chose "full time" in that I'm potentially available to work full time without commitments to other work or family. But part of the plan was always to spend less than 'full time' actually working.

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
German to English
actually Aug 16, 2013

I wanted to be a chemist and did a Chemistry with German degree, but the placement year was a nightmare and put me off completely. Not the chemistry itself, but the people working in the laboratory. Didn't want to end up like
    them
      , so I decided to go the other direction with languages. And hey presto, a technical translator was born in 1994

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's sad! Aug 16, 2013

Heather McCrae wrote:

I wanted to be a chemist and did a Chemistry with German degree, but the placement year was a nightmare and put me off completely. Not the chemistry itself, but the people working in the laboratory. Didn't want to end up like
    them
      , so I decided to go the other direction with languages. And hey presto, a technical translator was born in 1994

Their loss. One less mad doctor is a sad thing to see.

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
German to English
very good Aug 16, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

Heather McCrae wrote:

them

Their loss. One less mad doctor is a sad thing to see.

Yep their loss, now I am a *sane* translator and have far more power at my fingertips

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
It just happened Aug 16, 2013

I started as a freelance graphic artist when I was about 16, working with my beloved coreldraw 6. I illustrated two school text books and was even asked to do a "learning to draw" book for young children before leaving for Argentina for my missionary service.

My work and educational goals underwent several drastic changes during the last four years. I had been interpreting and translating for a couple of years, but it my mind was set on another profession (airliner pilot). Once all the dust settled after proposing to my now wife, finding a new degree program and getting laid off from my in-house job, I was still translating.

It certainly hasn't been the easiest path, but it's one that I've come to love.

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:37
German to English
Part time / permanent Aug 16, 2013

Ideally, I would have liked to work two days a week and earn enough to go sailing the other five days. Sadly, it is currently Work 7 Sailing 0. I really must do something about that...

Steve K.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Full-time / permanent Aug 16, 2013

I've wanted to be a translator since the age of 13, when I first started studying Spanish.

Sticking to one field all my life has been helpful in building contacts and a client base. I couldn't ask for more. I'm happy!

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Other Aug 17, 2013

It was supposed to pay the bills while leaving the time for my Ph.D. work in law. Guess that didn't work out as planned. My law Ph.D. still isn't complete, while my translation career is quite an established one these days.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
full time, permanent Aug 17, 2013

I had another job, when, for several reasons, I decided to quit, I had just started working with my first client, and I had been told that I would have received at least the same money I got with my previous job (we have always had a very direct and sincere working relationship) so this encouraged me to work full time. Since I had to pay for rent, food and bills, I could not be a part-time translator for some time, I just planned to do everything necessary to be a full-time translator. (oh I forgot, being a translator was my plan when I was 15.....)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I first started as a freelancer, I planned on it being a...

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search