Poll: How long did it take you to have a constant workflow as a freelancer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 08:56
SITE STAFF
Aug 25, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long did it take you to have a constant workflow as a freelancer?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:56
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
From the very beginning Aug 25, 2013

Because I was lucky to find a good customer.

But customers come and go, and I am no longer dealing with that first customer. Circumstances change and so do customers and workflow. It is always in a state of flux.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
From the very beginning Aug 25, 2013

I think we had a version of this poll recently.

I was working as a full-time staff translator, and when I left my former employer had a long-term project waiting for me that kept me busy for the next two years. During that time, new clients came along. That was more than 20 years ago, and I've rarely had a break since then, except for one year when I got sick.

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:56
English to Russian
+ ...
There is nothing constant in this world Aug 25, 2013

I had a number of "constant worflow periods" over the past 10 years ... and abysses in between.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
Hebrew to English
After 2 years Aug 25, 2013

I think if you manage to pull this off immediately like Julian and Muriel above then you're probably quite lucky. Mine built up sloooowly over time, seems to be a snowball effect though once you get going.

I'm not sure I'd even define my workflow now though as "constant", very occasionally I will sometimes have a quiet week (which I'm usually quite grateful for).

[Edited at 2013-08-25 12:36 GMT]

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Over 3 years Aug 25, 2013

It slowly sort of built itself up. I didn't do any of the things you usually see suggested on proz, like promoting my services, approaching agencies or clients or getting a website or maximising this, that or the other. It just happened.

PS: Ditto what Ty said...

[Edited at 2013-08-25 09:39 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Right from the very beginning! Aug 25, 2013

I started with a big project: translation every month of the bulletin of the European Community. But, like Ty, I am not sure, even now some 30 years later, I would define my workflow as "constant", very occasionally I will have a quiet few days (which I am usually quite grateful for until I begin to panic… and fortunately the cycle starts again!).

PS This same question with a slightly different wording pops up from time to time…

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
2 - 3 years Aug 25, 2013

It took nearly 4 weeks for my first customer to "arrive". But since then several new customers came (some of them went, too), several of them having become regulars.

However, a constant work flow is not "a given", so that there are quiet periods that are used to catch up on glossar building, admin work, creating a new webinar and leisure time.

A constant workflow also, IMHO, depends on the language pairs and fields offered.

Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:56
Romanian to English
+ ...
not so easy Aug 25, 2013

Joe Doe wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long did it take you to have a constant workflow as a freelancer?".

View the poll results »

I might say the work flow I had it after 3 years, but the pay is the big issue.

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
From the very beginning. Aug 25, 2013

There are constant ups and downs, of course. You get used to it over the years.
Gudrun

tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:26
Member (2012)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
From 10th month Aug 25, 2013

Very beginning I could not establish as translator but I did well in starting. But constant workflow start after joining with various clients in 10th month.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
1 to 2 years Aug 25, 2013

Both times: When I left a full-time job with a strong translation component at the end of 1989, and more recently, when I resumed full-time freelance work in July 2010 in Portugal.

One can never be complacent, though.

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Other Aug 25, 2013

After twenty odd years, it still tends to be famine or feast... not so much famine these days, but more often "unfortunate juxtapositions of plenty" which mean that I have to reject "good" jobs when I have just taken on a "bad" one!

One day I will find the perfect client/woman/motorbike/recipe for shrimp Saganaki!

Hopefully,

Steve K.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Constant work vs. constant income Aug 26, 2013

When I first started freelancing, I had work immediately. I've seen it taper off and build back up so many times now that I stopped counting (and I've only been freelancing full for the past two years.

The past few months have been slow on the translation side for us, but our multilingual website design work has been keeping us really busy.

Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:56
Member (2013)
Finnish to English
+ ...
Definition of constant? Aug 26, 2013

You could have a constant workflow with only 2 hrs of work per day, right? I've had a constant workflow since the beginning but the workflow was quite small for a long time.. now it's both constant and big.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long did it take you to have a constant workflow as a freelancer?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search