Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What % of your income are you putting towards your retirement?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:32
SITE STAFF
Aug 26, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What % of your income are you putting towards your retirement?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Aug 26, 2013

I pay a fixed amount every month with the goal to have enough when I retire. If I earn a little more, then I will stock it up, but not to do anything for your retirement is a little irresponsible, even if it is just a little every month.

[Edited at 2013-08-26 08:22 GMT]

Just thinking about it, paying for your own flat is also a sort of "retirement" thing, but Heather, I would not count on living in a "less economical" country as a retirement otherwise you may land in Boliva or some other favourable country.

[Edited at 2013-08-26 08:45 GMT]

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
what retirement? Aug 26, 2013

Frankly, I will continue to work at something until I can no longer phyiscally or mentally work. The thought of sitting around sucking my gums when I am old is horrendous boring! icon_razz.gif
And, to be honest, not sure if there will be such things as pensions still around in 25 years time!

Also, due to my former life as an artist (no pension plans) and then only starting my translation career at 34 means I will never be able to pay enough money into any retirement fund to make it worthwhile. I have a little savings plan which might just allow me to live in an economically-disadvantaged country in the distant future. Quite happy with that prospect. Go and be an eccentric old beachcombericon_smile.gif

But maybe our daughter will become a world-famous cello player or star and she can look after usicon_wink.gif

Might even win the lottery one dayicon_rolleyes.gif

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 15:32
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Not planning.. Wake up call! Aug 26, 2013

Am I dreaming that my sight, brains, and back will remain sound forever??!
Maybe.. Maybe not.
But right now, in the middle of sky rocketing living costs, the main focus is to put food on the table, perhaps preparing for other "emergency" needs that the situation in the country may hit us with at any given moment, as well.

Anyway, if I survived all this, when and if it's all over, I got my wake up call. Thanks!

Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Retirement? Aug 26, 2013

I expect to keep working until I fall off the chair.....

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
I save about 25% all in all Aug 26, 2013

Not just for retirement - what if you have an accident or get ill and can't work?
I do have insurance cover for that too, but it doesn't pay very much.
Once the kids have left home I might start to spend more and save less.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:32
Turkish to English
+ ...
1 - 4%, unfortunately. Aug 26, 2013

I would love it to be 50% plus, but the cost of living keeps rising, while translation rates are under pressure. There is not much left after I have met my basic needs.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You will not be alone!!! Aug 26, 2013

Mark Hamlen wrote:

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
>26% Aug 26, 2013

I am totally against the idea of dying on stage, so we subscribed to a private pension plan besides the compulsory contributions and we bought a flat that we rent for additional income.

The sooner I stop working, the better. There are plenty of other things to do, provided that we are healthy enough. Another 20-25 years and we're there.

Philippe

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
"I have a cunning plan" Aug 26, 2013

Rich widows with yachts living in Greece or North Wales please contact me asap - time's running out!

Steve K.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:32
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Am part of a national pension plan Aug 26, 2013

And I'm not telling anyone any more -- that's private info.

Yet another intrusive hit-and-run anonymous poll. Grrrr icon_mad.gif

Have not fallen off the chair yet. There's still lots of mileage left in the old dog icon_biggrin.gif

Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Short-sightedness might hurt in the future Aug 26, 2013

Mark Hamlen wrote:

Okay, but what if you fall off your chair and don't die a merciful death?

Even here, the one who pays makes the decisions. If you have no money to pay for health care etc., other people decide what happens to you. I am not saying that we should all do nothing but save our money for retirement, but cash buys freedom and I love to be free.

patriciacharnet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
none Aug 26, 2013

I wish I could save but right now I can't - too many bills but I need to do it even though I would prefer right now to pay off my mortgage in advance and that has priority before any retirement fund plus in the UK I don't know if I'll ever be able to retire current date of retirement 67 years old - I might be dead before anywayicon_smile.gif if not I'll keep going

right now I'm trying to pay my mortgage before its due date - it'll save me more money and is a better investment fund than a retirement fund at present

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Trouble is: Aug 26, 2013

how many questions can possibly be asked before they get repeated?

Julian Holmes wrote:

Yet another intrusive hit-and-run anonymous poll. Grrrr icon_mad.gif

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
How depressing! Aug 26, 2013

Could this question not have been saved for a Tuesday?icon_wink.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What % of your income are you putting towards your retirement?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search