Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 07:46
SITE STAFF
Aug 28, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:46
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, separate Aug 28, 2013

office in my flat

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:46
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, in home Aug 28, 2013

I have a whole basement to myself, my own den.

It's not gloomy at all -- we are located halfway up a hill and the sunlight just streams in through the sliding doors. It's accessible only by stairs outside so I can do whatever I want. I have a fridge stacked with my favorite white wines and beers. In fact, I can crank up the music and noone knows since the walls are 1-foot thick concrete. It's party time, folks!

Heather, which wine will it be tonight? Hic icon_smile.gif

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 17:46
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, in my home.. Aug 28, 2013

.. With 2 fish tanks, a 6 foot large glass door to the balcony, and a wall-sized home library (Currently serving the purpose of moral inspiration icon_smile.gif ). A French door is what separates my office from the living room.

So, yeah.. I have my 'dedicated' work place.. emmm.. if only I could keep my two kids from invading 'my' space with their piles of toys and constant 'occasional' visits.. Those French doors never remain closed! Mammaaaaa.. Here we go!

Edited to replace "Mommyyyy" with "Mammmaaa" (One of many Arabic versions of Mom)!

[Edited at 2013-08-28 10:00 GMT]

tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:16
Member (2012)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
Yes, in home Aug 28, 2013

Translation is not an easy job where you can do other activities hand in hand. So separate setup is required in home. Being a freelancer home is the best place to work but with this separate portion and good concentration upon work give boost in quality and work commitment.

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
dedicated room Aug 28, 2013

yeah, right, my office is so full of stufficon_wink.gif
but sadly, Julian, no fridge (btw, bought a chardonnay yesterday - saw it and thought of youicon_biggrin.gif)

btw, the finance office in Germany expects an office to have just one door - so hopefully the door onto my balcony does not counticon_wink.gif and sadly I can hardly gain any financial benefit from it as I have to pay for a corresponding proportion of the total area of the house and then take 50% off that sum as it is part-owned by my hubby. I even had to take out a rental agreement with him for tax purposes as he of course "owns" the other 50%. Ridiculous, what?

our cellar is toooooo gloomy to work in so it is officially my filing roomicon_smile.gif Another few cents off the tax bill at the end of the year.

But I can see trees and sky out of my balcony door, so I am happy.

Manescu Alexandra  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:46
Romanian to English
+ ...
in my home...but Aug 28, 2013

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?".

View the poll results »

I work in my home but I cannot say is a dedicated room....there I also watch TV or sleep....this is it for now.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 15:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, in my home Aug 28, 2013

I used to have a very nice office outside of my home and that worked pretty well for some years but then my last daughter left the nest, I had a room free in my apartment and so I decided to move my office home...

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
No Aug 28, 2013

I work in my living room...which is slowly but surely being turned into an office...

JFDiaz  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, but not at home Aug 28, 2013

In my opinion, it's very important to split working and personal life and that's why I need an office in a flaticon_smile.gif

It's very cute and I have everything I need, even TV for breaks hehehehehe.

Toodle!

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Any flat surface... Aug 28, 2013

...preferably a table, anywhere I am in the world, even worked on a beach chair, tent in the mountains...where else?...inside a car...but most of the time on a desk beside my bed

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Not quite a room, but an area Aug 28, 2013

I have a dedicated table with a notebook and the windowsill in front of it for papersicon_smile.gif)

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
No Aug 28, 2013

I live in a studio, so one room serves as my office, dining room, bedroom, living room and kitchen. I live alone (unless counting two cats), so it works fine for me, as I'm not bothered by anyone.

Anni

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:46
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Either in or away from home ... Aug 28, 2013

... translators need a totally comfortable environment free from any distractions and interruptions to concentrate and show the world what they are capable of.

If you're nomadic in or outside your home, I really, really do recommend finding ways of creating your own enclosed comfort zone. It's conducive to good thinking. Couldn't be simpler!

Of course, a good fridge filled with brewskies does help as well. icon_biggrin.gif

@Heather
Thanks for the Chardonnay thoughts. Hic!

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Attic Aug 28, 2013

I have a room in the attic where I can escape from the rest of the family (at least that's the idea!). It has a skylight window which lets in plenty of light but, as all I can see out of it is the sky, it stops me spending hours gazing out at the view.

I have a feeling there was a similar question not long ago, as I remember someone pointing out that there may be tax implications in the UK if you have a dedicated room for working. The HMRC website contains information on claiming for the costs of heating, lighting etc.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search