Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How much time do you dedicate to self-promotion (Twitter, blogging etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 00:19
SITE STAFF
Aug 30, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How much time do you dedicate to self-promotion (Twitter, blogging etc.)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Kathrin Caiger. View the poll results »

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:19
Member (2006)
German to English
I do not market mayself on such platforms Aug 30, 2013

And am very happy about it. I did want to invest more time in getting direct customers, but I consider myself very fortunate to be more than really busy.

When things start to get a little quieter, then I will get around to it, as long as it is before I retireicon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2013-08-30 12:17 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 08:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Self-promotion? Aug 30, 2013

Sorry, that is not what I am about. I do not use Twitter nor Facebook (and do not plan on it, by lack of time and interest) and I do not have a blog (also by lack of time and interest). I do not have fans or followers, I have customers!

tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:49
Member (2012)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
It depends upon the workload Aug 30, 2013

I am not regular self-promoter on twitter or blogging. But sometimes I give in this work as per workload. If already doing work on various projects, then no way to self-promotion.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None Aug 30, 2013

I don't promote myself (I find the very notion of having to do so rather embarrassing... and deeply uncool). I even find the very word "Twitter" irritating, never mind what it often degenerates into...

And I'm glad to see I'm in with the majority here, as I sometimes get the feeling that I'm some some kind off oddball because I'm not interested in any of the networking (and similar) initiatives proposed on this site and others.

What a relief!

PS: Come to think of it, even answering this post could be seen as self-promotion... But I don't mind that.

[Edited at 2013-08-30 09:11 GMT]

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
None Aug 30, 2013

I don't currently need to advertise my services, I have plenty of work coming in and regular enquiries via the ProZ site. Like Neilmac, I find the very idea of Twitter kind of makes my toes curl....

Steve K.

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
I don't tweet... Aug 30, 2013

... and I only use Facebook to keep in touch with far-flung family and friends. However, I do use that time in between jobs to do some kind of self-promotion in the form of contacting potential customers, updating profiles in various places, networking etc. I did start a blog but haven't really done very much with it yet.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Taking umbrage! Aug 30, 2013

I blog when I have the time and the inclination, and sometimes on translation-related matters and sometimes not.

I do take umbrage at the assumption that the primary motivation is "self-promotion", though

For me it is more about sharing an opinion, or generating an exchange of views which would otherwise not occur. If something (translation-related) I have blogged on strikes a chord with another translator, or helps them in some way, well then, yay.

I do not publish every blog I write on LinkedIn, Google+ and various groups within those platforms. But I do publish translation-related articles on one or two LinkedIn groups because there are many translators who will comment on a LinkedIn group discussion but do not comment on a blog. This method of so-called self-promotion therefore has a positive effect in that it provides people with a forum in which to express themselves. The more, the merrier, I think.

To my knowledge, I have never solicited nor received any translation work as a result of my blogging activities. I have been asked to write a couple of guest blogs though.icon_smile.gif

I like to think that I receive (repeat) translation work based on my translation abilities!

I do not Tweet, but there are certain translator's blogs which display their Tweet feed, and I have found some interesting translation-related articles to read by clicking on these links.

As to "dedicating" time to this activity, I would rather dedicate time to making sure I have issued all my invoices and paid all my taxes in time. Yes, really.

Edited: Removed an unwanted "ed" from a word.

[Edited at 2013-08-30 12:55 GMT]

Kathrin Caiger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Time-consuming? Definitely. Embarrassing? Aug 30, 2013

I find it really interesting to read the results of this poll and the comments above. I hardly ever have time to self-promote my services, or even the capacity to take on more work resulting from that self-marketing.

I strongly agree that there is an overwhelming tendency of sending out as much tweets as somehow possible, just to avoid sinking into oblivion. For someone with a strong client base, there should not be much need for self-promotion.

However, I do not share the opinion that good marketing or some advertisement is "degenerating" or even "embarrassing". All businesses need to spread the word somehow. Look at sole traders in any industry - carpenters, lawyers, musicians, ... I do not think that there is a bad element to making others aware of your services; if done well and only to a certain extent.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 15:19
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Exactly Aug 30, 2013

Kathrin Caiger wrote:

All businesses need to spread the word somehow. Look at sole traders in any industry - carpenters, lawyers, musicians, ... I do not think that there is a bad element to making others aware of your services; if done well and only to a certain extent.

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Other than my profile and forum comments on Proz, I don't... Aug 30, 2013

neilmac wrote:

I don't promote myself (I find the very notion of having to do so rather embarrassing... and deeply uncool). I even find the very word "Twitter" irritating, never mind what it often degenerates into...

And I'm glad to see I'm in with the majority here, as I sometimes get the feeling that I'm some some kind off oddball because I'm not interested in any of the networking (and similar) initiatives proposed on this site and others.

What a relief!

PS: Come to think of it, even answering this post could be seen as self-promotion... But I don't mind that.

[Edited at 2013-08-30 09:11 GMT]

Pretty much with Neil.

Edited to add that I also give my card to people I meet who could use my services.

[Edited at 2013-08-30 11:18 GMT]

nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
None Aug 30, 2013

Don't promote my services either. No proz profile, no Twitter, no website = no requests for things I cannot do (driver's licences, work at the client's offices, cheap work, give my cv to unknown people, ...).
The work is finding me (by translators' associations, essentially), at a professional level. Clients can always ask me.

Marketing is and would be time-consuming, oh yes. Embarrassing, indeed. I would be ashamed to beg for it.

[Modifié le 2013-08-30 11:29 GMT]

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
With Kathrin Aug 30, 2013

Kathrin Caiger wrote:

However, I do not share the opinion that good marketing or some advertisement is "degenerating" or even "embarrassing". All businesses need to spread the word somehow. Look at sole traders in any industry - carpenters, lawyers, musicians, ... I do not think that there is a bad element to making others aware of your services; if done well and only to a certain extent.

I agree.

I have never had to promote of *my translation services* (NOT *myself*, note!), but I am planning a mini-marketing campaign for early next year for a specific language pair in a specific market covering a specific type of text.

Why? Because I like the kind of work I hope the "campaign" will generate, and I believe I can do a very good job of it.

Why should I promote my own services? Ha! No one else is going to do it for me!

If the only way my target clients are going to hear about my services is if I tell them, then I will jolly well do it, using conventional marketing methods.

I am certainly not going to be "embarrassed" if a potential client reads my blog, my website, my LinkedIn profile or my ProZ profile in addition to any marketing material I send out.

We are all (I think) human beings, and if making a connection at a human level brings the kind of clients and work that you enjoy, then any effort you make to promote your services will be well worth it.

P.S. I am very shy.icon_wink.gif

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am with Allison... Aug 30, 2013

My problem was with the choice of words... Self-promotion sounds very much like someone who is focused on talking only about you, you and you. In my mind self-promotion is associated to the celebrity culture. Not to be pedantic or picky, but I do not promote myself, I promote the services I offer as a freelance translator…

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
We advertise, but not through twitter or blogs Aug 30, 2013

I spend a couple of hours each week updating SEOs for our websites, commenting in different forums, throwing out a google adword campaign, etc... It's important and necessary to advertise services.

I've been asked to write for some gaming magazines and websites, but I saw them as opportunities to educate potential clients, as well as to bring more attention to the importance of translation and localization by professionals. I make an effort to not advertise our services during these interviews, my objective is to raise awareness, not find more work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How much time do you dedicate to self-promotion (Twitter, blogging etc.)?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search