Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever done any volunteer translation/interpreting work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 11, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever done any volunteer translation/interpreting work?".

This poll was originally submitted by J Tomkowicz. View the poll results »

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
From time to time Sep 11, 2013

I translate without charge the annual reports of a local group that works with underprivileged children. Since children are the future, I see it as my way of helping building a better society for the coming years.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Sep 11, 2013

As I do not have time for that, unfortunately. I invest a lot of time in the community here where I live though, PTA for the kindergarten, I support social projects for local schools, etc.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
occasionally Sep 11, 2013

I do occasional translation work for an NGO working with entrepreneurs in developing countries. The work is interesting and, I think, worthwhile; as they know they are asking for a favour, their deadlines tend to be very reasonable and I can usually fit in the work when I need a break or when I have an easy day.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 16:29
Turkish to English
+ ...
It depends on how you define that. Sep 11, 2013

This is not a forum for political discussion, so suffice it to say that I am an ardent supporter of the recent anti-government demonstrations that have swept Turkey. I consider that I can make a small contribution by translating news about these protests and posting them in forum threads to help get the word out to the world. Yesterday evening/night was particularly eventful in Turkey, and I found myself starting out at about 1900 and translating brief reports as they were coming in, and then be... See more
This is not a forum for political discussion, so suffice it to say that I am an ardent supporter of the recent anti-government demonstrations that have swept Turkey. I consider that I can make a small contribution by translating news about these protests and posting them in forum threads to help get the word out to the world. Yesterday evening/night was particularly eventful in Turkey, and I found myself starting out at about 1900 and translating brief reports as they were coming in, and then being glued to the computer until about 0100 next morning just rapidly typing out translations of reports coming in on live threads in Turkish and posting these on an English-language political forum. That made for nearly five hours' non-stop free translation work, so if that kind of thing counts as volunteer translation work, then I do it from time to time, and view it as being a kind of political activism, although never before have I put in the kind of time that I did last night.Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Other Sep 11, 2013

Yes, a long time ago.
Then I thought I could use my free time doing other things for a good cause than translating.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Volunteering Sep 11, 2013

My hat's off to you for donating your time to worthy causes.

I never felt the inclination to donate my translation time, except on rare occasions and for building rapport or enhance my relationship with a given client.

Cheers.

Barbora Slana
Barbora Slana  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Czech
yes Sep 11, 2013

I translate TED talks from time to time. It is a great way of gaining experience when you are starting out and of course respectable to make the conferences available for non-English speaking audience. They organize talks regarding advances in medicine, science and technology as well as giving advice to victims of domestic violence etc. The talks are worth watching. I enjoy the volunteer translation work for them very much.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:29
German to English
Charity begins at home Sep 11, 2013

Judging by the rates offered by some outsourcers these days, there are many out there who seem to think that I am a charitable institution...

Steve K.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Yes Sep 11, 2013

Yes, but it is low-key, and cannot always be said to be for a particular social or political cause. Any "gift" of my talents is on a personal, one-on-one basis, entirely of my own volition, and normally comes from a genuine liking I have for the individual who is likely to get a boost from the giving.
I am more inclined to offer English editing services voluntarily than translation, although I have volunteered both in the past.

Everyone else has to pay!

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:59
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
I am thinking to start Sep 11, 2013

I have become member of translators without borders and soon I will start my volunteer translation work.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
It's not always easy to find volunteer translation work Sep 11, 2013

I'm keen to do some volunteer translation work, but have only done one piece, a couple of months ago. I have sent my CV to several places that say they are looking for volunteers, but have rarely received a reply.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
From time to time Sep 11, 2013

Usually for one and the same non-profit organisation. There are several positive aspects of our collaboration, e. g. they contact me when they need a translation, but leave the delivery deadline completely up to me so that I'm able to fit it in whenever I have some spare working time.

And there are no discussions about payments and rates.

They did pay me once by sending me 5 of their organisation's t-
... See more
Usually for one and the same non-profit organisation. There are several positive aspects of our collaboration, e. g. they contact me when they need a translation, but leave the delivery deadline completely up to me so that I'm able to fit it in whenever I have some spare working time.

And there are no discussions about payments and rates.

They did pay me once by sending me 5 of their organisation's t-shirts, of which 4 went to the members of a Native American band here in town.

Steve Kerry wrote:

Judging by the rates offered by some outsourcers these days, there are many out there who seem to think that I am a charitable institution...

Steve K.

This idea always enters my mind when I see a job posted by one of those "best price/rate" agencies.

[Edited at 2013-09-11 12:42 GMT]
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:29
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
from time to time Sep 11, 2013

I translated for an international NGO, and a shelter for street kids. I have a soft spot in my heart for troubled kids, so I thought that would be a good venture. I also volunteered for a local literary festival, but this year they didn't use my services.
The last job was for Lac Megantic, which was devastated by a rail disaster. It was a favour for a client who needed an editor.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
All the time Sep 11, 2013

Following the injury that cut my career as a stuntman so tragically short, I scaled Everest in fancy dress a few times for various charities, most famously as a fully functioning squeezy ketchup bottle. Despite repeated badgering, though, our local disabled/disadvantaged/homeless donkey/cat/child charities seem to have little need for translations from obscure foreign languages. I console myself with the knowledge that 21% of my annual income goes to other good causes, such as propping up pet di... See more
Following the injury that cut my career as a stuntman so tragically short, I scaled Everest in fancy dress a few times for various charities, most famously as a fully functioning squeezy ketchup bottle. Despite repeated badgering, though, our local disabled/disadvantaged/homeless donkey/cat/child charities seem to have little need for translations from obscure foreign languages. I console myself with the knowledge that 21% of my annual income goes to other good causes, such as propping up pet dictators and dropping bombs on out-of-favour OPEC nations.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever done any volunteer translation/interpreting work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »