Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you speak languages other than your working languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:00
English to Polish
Cantonese Sep 15, 2013

After a few years of studying and living in Hong Kong, I speak some Cantonese and read some Chinese, but I my abilities are not sufficient to add them to my working pairs. It's not a big loss, though, because almost all of my jobs are EN > PL, since I hardly ever get anything in my other pairs. Adding one more probably wouldn't change much.

I still can "impress" my friends by reading something (a Chinese character) that they consider a "drawing"...
See more
After a few years of studying and living in Hong Kong, I speak some Cantonese and read some Chinese, but I my abilities are not sufficient to add them to my working pairs. It's not a big loss, though, because almost all of my jobs are EN > PL, since I hardly ever get anything in my other pairs. Adding one more probably wouldn't change much.

I still can "impress" my friends by reading something (a Chinese character) that they consider a "drawing"
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No and yes Sep 15, 2013

I said no, but in fact I studied French for several years in high school and college; I can read it and translate from it in an emergency, but I have some difficulty speaking it. I also studied Japanese for a year and managed to find my way around Kyoto for a couple of days until my bilingual traveling companion showed up and became our interpreter.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:00
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Congratulations, Muriel Sep 16, 2013

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I also studied Japanese for a year and managed to find my way around Kyoto for a couple of days .....

This is a feat in itself since Kyoto is full of nooks and crannies and boasts the longest addresses in Japan that baffle the majority of Japanese. Well done! (coming from a Kyotoite)

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:00
German to English
once upon a time Sep 16, 2013

I used to speak fluent French, Italian, Spanish, Greek, swear easily in Hungarian and even find my way to the airport and book a flight in Japanese.
Sadly, my Japanese is now practically non-existent, my spoken Greek, Spanish and French are rather rusty and my Italian only good enough for holiday use these days.
Nowadays, I speak mainly German, and English of course, and am slowly learning Plattdeutsch (Hamburg dialect).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you speak languages other than your working languages?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »