Poll: Have you ever had enough of your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 19, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever had enough of your work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Dalibor Uhlik. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not really Sep 19, 2013

I sometimes get fed up with certain aspects of translation, mostly when dealing with agencies, such as being asked to clean up MT messes or similar sub-par efforts rather than simply being offered the translation in the first place. However, this almost never happens with my regular clients.

Other things that get my goat are when I tell people something and they don't pay attention - for example I recently closed one old bank account and opened another, but one client kept sending m
... See more
I sometimes get fed up with certain aspects of translation, mostly when dealing with agencies, such as being asked to clean up MT messes or similar sub-par efforts rather than simply being offered the translation in the first place. However, this almost never happens with my regular clients.

Other things that get my goat are when I tell people something and they don't pay attention - for example I recently closed one old bank account and opened another, but one client kept sending my payments to the old account, despite my written notification delivered to their offices in person, by hand. Or clients who send me scanned PDFs and similar dodgy formats. Clients who prepare beautifully formatted and laid out documents which they then decide need to be translated, regardless of the hassle and timewasting involved in converting the text into something workable.

Etc. But my translation work per se? Not really.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:26
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Like Neilmac Sep 19, 2013

Not really

Translation itself if a very satisfying, challenging and, in a sense, empowering profession -- just think of all the knowledge you are gaining and being paid for at the same time.

It's the business side of things that can jade my view of the profession. Like the monster customer I recently "divorced". Good riddance!

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
sometimes Sep 19, 2013

when the job I accepted turned out to be incredibly boring or so complicated that I was out of my depth for a while. But usually, I really enjoy translating and creating readable texts. And I just cannot think of another job where I work so little for so much and can slob around at home as well

Nicola Wood
Nicola Wood  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
German to English
Hits the nail right on the head Sep 19, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

Not really

Translation itself if a very satisfying, challenging and, in a sense, empowering profession -- just think of all the knowledge you are gaining and being paid for at the same time.

I really enjoy the challenge and diversity, so if I get fed up it's over ccustomers who need chasing to pay bills, filling out tax forms etc, but not the work itself. For me translation is the ideal job: I get to do something I really enjoy, learn lots of interesting things and all without even having to leave home!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not in the perhaps implied sense Sep 19, 2013

Translation to me is like the salt on the meat, it has become such a vital part of my life. I will never have had enough of my work. The only thing that might happen is that after working nearly non-stop for days on a large project is that I might have (temporarily) enough of that particular project, but never of the work itself. Even when I am happy to finally no longer have to work on a particular project, thze great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction sweep this emotion right out the win... See more
Translation to me is like the salt on the meat, it has become such a vital part of my life. I will never have had enough of my work. The only thing that might happen is that after working nearly non-stop for days on a large project is that I might have (temporarily) enough of that particular project, but never of the work itself. Even when I am happy to finally no longer have to work on a particular project, thze great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction sweep this emotion right out the window.Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
not really Sep 19, 2013

I get fed up with some aspects of it:
- being a freelance in Italy (taxes and bureaucracy)
- requests from some clients (can you translate 10.000 words for tomorrow morning at 9, I know it is 8 pm now, but it won't be a problem for you, correct? - Yes it is a problem)
- constant need to explain that the fact that I know two languages (or more) does not mean that typing is not time consuming

But I have never had enough of the job itself

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, not really! Sep 19, 2013

I always enjoy the challenge (even when, as right now, I am translating from English some IFUs that were originally written in Korean and I can’t read a word of Korean…).

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
To have had enough of translation? Sep 19, 2013

In other words, to be fed up with translation or to find that activity insufferable, unbearable or intolerable?

Translation? Not at all. Why, Dalibor? Have you?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 19, 2013

Every day round about wine o'clock

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Never Sep 19, 2013

My work is one of the things that keeps me alive. There are others also, and they have their priorities.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Never! Sep 19, 2013

Translation is the magic touch of the fairy wand which enables the chrysalis of yearning to become the butterfly of intellectual achievement and fulfilment!

Steve K.

(P.S. Any jobs going at Tescos?)

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:26
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Translation brings out the "best" in writing Sep 20, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

Translation is the magic touch of the fairy wand which enables the chrysalis of yearning to become the butterfly of intellectual achievement and fulfilment!

Steve K.
(P.S. Any jobs going at Tescos?)

A scrumptiously superb and syruppy example of uber hyperbole and breathtaking bathos. Touché, Athos.

There's a 6.50 quid/hour shelf-stacking job at the local supermarket. Night shifts only. Interested?

Julian H.

p.s.
For some wit and humour, you might appreciate having a butchers at the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXZJF0-d_M8

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Now you're talking.. Sep 20, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

There's a 6.50 quid/hour shelf-stacking job at the local supermarket. Night shifts only. Interested?

I spent a happy couple of months once shelf-stacking on the night shift at Asda. The money wasn't great but the toilet-roll diving from the top of a fork lift truck was an experience not to be missed!

Steve K.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever had enough of your work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »