Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How often do you use translation memories (TMs)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Diana and Mario Sep 25, 2013

@Diana, it works well for me. I don't like Trados and other CAT tools where you translate in a separate window and it's all very segment by segment with no flow. Wordfast Classic is very basic (which is good) so you still work in Word, you can see the layout and text around the bit you're working on, and you can move up to earlier segments easily when you need to. Kind of CAT-lite, which is perfect for me.

@Mario, maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have never come across a good memory wh
... See more
@Diana, it works well for me. I don't like Trados and other CAT tools where you translate in a separate window and it's all very segment by segment with no flow. Wordfast Classic is very basic (which is good) so you still work in Word, you can see the layout and text around the bit you're working on, and you can move up to earlier segments easily when you need to. Kind of CAT-lite, which is perfect for me.

@Mario, maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have never come across a good memory where there aren't mistranslations and multiple translations of the same terms and half-translated segments and so on.

My point, though, was that however good the memory, they're not my words. This means I either have to edit the matches that come up (unpaid) or tailor my style and terminology to the memory, which undermines the whole joy of translating.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Memories vs proofreading Sep 25, 2013

It's interesting how in the previous poll most people said they don't like editing, yet in this one most say they like to use translation memories - which is all about editing!

Pierantonio Paulon
Pierantonio Paulon  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:22
German to Italian
+ ...
CAT tool has also other useful functions Sep 26, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

The question basically means, "How often do you use CAT tools?"
Ahem. You can't use a TM without a CAT tool.

In answer to the question, 99% of the time since I'm a tech translator and I just can't imagine translating big manuals without the aid of a CAT tool any more.

Like Chris S, they're helping me get lots of translation done more quickly that I can bill the customer for.

And like the rest of you, I hate using a TM from a customer that has come out of the wrong end of a cow. I hate having to sift through someone else's clustermess to get my gem of a translation done.

Hi Julian,
thank you for your remark, but the contrary could be true: in specific work you can use a CAT without a TM.
Even it may sounds strange I found my self using a CAT tool even I do not have a specific TM ready to use. CAT tool include proofing functions etc. and autosuggest dictionaries/termbases which could be anyway of help also without a TM.

[Edited at 2013-09-26 14:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you use translation memories (TMs)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »