Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think knowledge of CAT tools is essential for a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Couldn't agree more Sep 29, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I and many other colleagues translated repetitive websites and technical manuals before CAT tools were even developed. The trick? A sheet of paper and a pen. Looking back, workflow and execution went much faster.

Ashish Kumar Jaiswal
Ashish Kumar Jaiswal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:41
Member (2013)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Subject to Need` Sep 29, 2013

For IT - Necessary

Others - Not really necessary.

Moreover, freelancers also have to oblige the requirement of agency.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:11
Russian to English
+ ...
Not always. Sep 29, 2013

Ashish Kumar Jaiswal wrote:

Not really,if some of the requirements are unreasonable. They should be able to convince the agencies,that sometimes some of the requirements don't make any sense.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, perhaps Sep 29, 2013

At least many people seem to think so. As for myself, I have absolutely no need for them, because 1.- I know how to translate; 2.- I do a lot of paper and .pdf documents; 3.- If I have a similar text from before I know how to go back and find it; 4.- The learning curve and delay would be totally unacceptable.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also: it depends Sep 29, 2013

Cecilia Civetta wrote:

... on what type of work the translator does. I translate technical, so I couldn't do without one. But, for instance, I don't see the use of it if you translate film scripts or subtitles.

Not long ago I wrote (in a poll here) that I was surprised to see such strong reactions against CAT tools.

Of course, as our beautiful colleague said elsewhere, knowledge of CAT tools —or any tools— and proficiency in CAT tools are two different things.

For some colleagues, I believe that using CAT tools has become a political issue: if you are using, say, Trados or SDL, you are following a corporate agenda and buying into their propaganda. Or, if you use Trados or translation memories, you are giving away your work in the form of Trados discounts or fuzzy matches.

You may have knowledge of and proficiency in a set of CAT tools, but you may not understand their purpose. And that lack of understanding is what I detect in many of the opinions against CAT tools. You may be an expert user of SDL or Transit, and still ignore the purpose of a CAT tool the same way you keep ignoring the purpose of cultivating good writing skills, good research habits and appropriate translation strategies and techniques.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
How to open Multiterm Sep 29, 2013

I jumped on the bandwagon when Trados first came out. And it was OK. Since I translate mostly legal stuff, I have no use for Trados and don't appreciate it. The problem was that things soon started to go wrong. I don't know anything about computers or software so anything installed on my PC is always done by a computer expert or the Trados people, and my husband does the routine maintenance. This means that I am not to blame when things go wrong.

One day, I couldn't get the file to
... See more
I jumped on the bandwagon when Trados first came out. And it was OK. Since I translate mostly legal stuff, I have no use for Trados and don't appreciate it. The problem was that things soon started to go wrong. I don't know anything about computers or software so anything installed on my PC is always done by a computer expert or the Trados people, and my husband does the routine maintenance. This means that I am not to blame when things go wrong.

One day, I couldn't get the file to clean up, so I had to retype it. Never again, I said to myself. The Trados people advised me to update, and so I obediently parted with my cash. An American lady installed it remotely for me. I could only actually open the application once. But I carried on using Multiterm. Again, I updated to Trados 2009. For some reason, my multiterm database was not compatible with the new version, which is the only thing I really wanted.

Nowadays, I would be happy just to know how to open multiterm 2009 either directly through the shortcut or via the Trados application itself. Multiterm has already been installed by the Trados people, but when I click on it to open it, it just keeps asking me if I want to install it.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
You have to be your own mechanic, so to speak Sep 29, 2013

Tatty wrote:

I don't know anything about computers or software so anything installed on my PC is always done by a computer expert or the Trados people, and my husband does the routine maintenance. This means that I am not to blame when things go wrong.

A car driver doesn't have to know the inner workings of the car's engine or how a spark plug works to drive the car. If something goes wrong with the car, we take it to a mechanic.

But if the car were used for work or professional purposes (truck driver, taxicab driver, etc.), the driver has to know some basics of auto mechanics to be a good professional. Back in the day when translators only used typewriters, the extent of our required mechanical knowledge was learning how to replace the ribbon or free the stuck letter arms. If we didn't use a typewriter, only a pen or pencil, the mechanics were even simpler: the pen no longer works, just replace it. The paper is smudged with ink or torn from erasing words? Just start a new sheet of paper.

Today, the simple act of using a computer to perform work requires that we become our own mechanics, so to speak. Basic “PC mechanics” require that we know what an operating system is, what a word processor is, what zip files are and how to use a keyboard proficiently. Simple PC maintenance tasks are part of this mechanics knowledge: how to clean up your browser's cache or perform a backup copy of your hard drive are tasks anybody with a computer should know.

Sorry to say it this way, but there is no excuse for not knowing. If something goes awry, you are to blame because many malfunctions or imperfections are preventable and/or solvable.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can handle my computer Sep 29, 2013

Yes, hasta ahí llego.

But Trados is complicated just to install. I know because I have seen the Trados people do it several times. It wasn't complicated the first time, I must admit. But even so, small things started going wrong just a couple of months after installation.

All these things have certainly dampened my appetite for CAT tools.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:11
German to English
Yes, no, maybe... Sep 29, 2013

I love my Trados. I want to marry it and have its babies. It saves me time and hence money on large technical translations. I love the crystal clear, side by side interface which probably increases my speed far more than the memory and glossary features. Is it essential? Certainly not. Is it useful? Depends very much on the type of translation you do. Great for tech and to some extent finance, contracts etc. Less good by far for one-off creative translations, but in my opinion the interface is s... See more
I love my Trados. I want to marry it and have its babies. It saves me time and hence money on large technical translations. I love the crystal clear, side by side interface which probably increases my speed far more than the memory and glossary features. Is it essential? Certainly not. Is it useful? Depends very much on the type of translation you do. Great for tech and to some extent finance, contracts etc. Less good by far for one-off creative translations, but in my opinion the interface is still helpful.

Steve K.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends Sep 30, 2013

It basically depends on the type of translations one does.

Spreadsheet, material ordering lists, and all repetitive nomenclature are done a lot faster with a CAT tool. In other fields, like literature, marketing & Co. they're of little to no use.

Additionally, one can be an expert with one CAT tool, but still won't get the job because of the fact that one uses the "wrong" CAT tool.

Ashish Kumar Jaiswal
Ashish Kumar Jaiswal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:41
Member (2013)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Agency to agency varies Sep 30, 2013

Many a times a job, which can be done on MS-word or on CAT (but without any previous TM) equally well, agency discretion prevails, if they insist, I mean you simply can't refuse saying that I am more/not comfortable with/without CAT.

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

Ashish Kumar Jaiswal wrote:

Not really,if some of the requirements are unreasonable. They should be able to convince the agencies,that sometimes some of the requirements don't make any sense.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No, absolutely not Sep 30, 2013

Even though I generally use one.

But it's definitely getting harder to survive without them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think knowledge of CAT tools is essential for a translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »