Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever work in a team of translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 30, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever work in a team of translators?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ramona Ali. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Sep 30, 2013

I work in a team (we are a small cooperative of 4 freelance translators) but as a rule we NEVER divide the work up. We help each other when one of us is in trouble, we proofread/revise each other's work, but we do not believe in splitting a project between several translators.

P.S. I worked in-house for 20 years in a team of translators (16 Portuguese translators)

[Edited at 2013-09-30 08:30 GMT]

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:17
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes! Sep 30, 2013

Not permanently ... but sometimes.
I have a couple of tried and tested colleagues with whom I work on large projects from time to time. It's a nice experience.
There rest of the time I work alone.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few times Sep 30, 2013

If I have to, I can usually put a small team together. However, I don't really like working with people I don't know and in general I try to avoid situations where I have to depend on anyone but myself.

[Edited at 2013-09-30 09:26 GMT]

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, once or twice Sep 30, 2013

but did not like it because the quality of some other translators was not very good / consistent and it was pretty much disoganised by the agency.

[Edited at 2013-09-30 11:28 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
In the past Sep 30, 2013

I worked in-house as part of a team for many years and at over 50 international conferences. Since I started freelancing, I've had several experiences working with colleagues.

I think this question was already asked very recently.

M. Irshad (Master of Science)
M. Irshad (Master of Science)
Germany
Member (2016)
English to Urdu
+ ...
No Sep 30, 2013

i am new to the translation world, i hope to have some experience to work with a team of translators

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:47
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
No Sep 30, 2013

I have never worked in a team of translators.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
German to English
Only loosely... Sep 30, 2013

..in that I have completed parts of large projects, but without personal liason with other translators. I am not in favour of "government by committee", nor do I often find the TMs of other translators to be of satisfactory quality. Added to this, marked differences in style frequently mean that a "joint effort" does not provide a satisfactory result.

Steve K.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:17
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
once or twice Sep 30, 2013

I did become the defacto PM of a team of translators a couple of years ago, but it was kind of disorganized and hastily put together by the agency and while I think I managed fairly well, it was really hard to overcome the initial handicaps. I did think that I have the skills to be a PM and it wouldn't be so bad under better circumstances and with a better agency. However, I haven't done it since and am not sure I'd want to.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Tag team Sep 30, 2013

Only once with a fellow emigre from the UK

We worked together on a series of manuals for a grinder for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. About 1,200 pages or so to do in 3 months, if my memory serves me correctly.
He was from an engineering background and learnt Japanese and I was from an language background and learnt engineering. We got on like a house on fire -- we both complemented each other's strengths and weaknesses, and produced a great set of manuals for the customer. We m
... See more

We worked together on a series of manuals for a grinder for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. About 1,200 pages or so to do in 3 months, if my memory serves me correctly.
He was from an engineering background and learnt Japanese and I was from an language background and learnt engineering. We got on like a house on fire -- we both complemented each other's strengths and weaknesses, and produced a great set of manuals for the customer. We met lots of talented engineers on the shop floor, and visited the foundary where they poured lots of cast iron parts and chatted extensively with the blokes on the manufacturing and assembly lines. We had a fantastic time. Wonderful memories!
It was a "grind" but well worth it!

And we still see each other occasionally, have a few beers and have a good 'ole chinwag.

Otherwise, I have not had the pleasure of finding someone else of a similar caliber to work with.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Occasionally Sep 30, 2013

Some colleagues are quite easy to work with, and sometimes it is not critical - like the obligatory tender documents that always have to be translated in a hurry. I have coordinated terminology once or twice and lined up the rest as well as possible in the time available.

Sometimes the source is written in sections by several different people, and it does not matter if each is translated by a different translator with a slightly different style - and then coordinated along the way
... See more
Some colleagues are quite easy to work with, and sometimes it is not critical - like the obligatory tender documents that always have to be translated in a hurry. I have coordinated terminology once or twice and lined up the rest as well as possible in the time available.

Sometimes the source is written in sections by several different people, and it does not matter if each is translated by a different translator with a slightly different style - and then coordinated along the way as necessary.

Generally most of my jobs are small, and there is no question of dividing them up.

I only team up with people I know and can rely on.

I don't regard it as teamwork when agencies divide projects between different translators who never see what the others have done.
Collapse

SYTham
SYTham  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 09:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
A few times Sep 30, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

He was from an engineering background and learnt Japanese and I was from an language background and learnt engineering. We got on like a house on fire -- we both complemented each other's strengths and weaknesses, and produced a great set of manuals for the customer. We met lots of talented engineers on the shop floor, and visited the foundary where they poured lots of cast iron parts and chatted extensively with the blokes on the manufacturing and assembly lines. We had a fantastic time. Wonderful memories!
It was a "grind" but well worth it!

And we still see each other occasionally, have a few beers and have a good 'ole chinwag.

Otherwise, I have not had the pleasure of finding someone else of a similar caliber to work with.

This is a brilliant example of how working with other translators can be effective!

I've worked with other translators on a few occasions, but some of their work are inconsistent and I often have to spend extra time proofreading or taking over some of their work.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Like Steve Kerry Sep 30, 2013

I've worked on parts of large projects.

I don't like either the work or the TMs generated, so I try to avoid those jobs as much as possible.
And I would hate to be the PM or the QM on anything like that.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Sep 30, 2013

I am not a teamworker. I am, have always been and shall always remain a solo act.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever work in a team of translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »