Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you often refuse assignments based on the requirement of a certain CAT Tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 14:02
SITE STAFF
Nov 4, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you often refuse assignments based on the requirement of a certain CAT Tool?".

This poll was originally submitted by Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons). View the poll results »

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
German to English
+ ...
Occasionally Nov 4, 2013

I occasionally have to turn down work because the client wants a specific CAT tool which I do not have, but this is once or twice a year at most.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:02
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Nov 4, 2013

If "based on the requirement of a certain CAT tool" means that I am being asked to do work using a CAT tool I do not have, have never used or refuse to use.

I answered "No" because I have never been asked to translate using a commercial CAT tool other than Trados in Japan -- excluding a certain customer's own tool, which was user-fiendly. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Trados seems to be the tool of choice over here.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aren't all CAT tools user-fiendish? Nov 4, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

I answered "No" because I have never been asked to translate using a commercial CAT tool other than Trados in Japan -- excluding a certain customer's own tool, which was user-fiendly. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other: I *get rejected*; I don't refuse Nov 4, 2013

Most of my clients simply don't care about my use of CAT tools, as long as I don't leave traces of their use on what I deliver.

On my own, I use WordFast Classic, if anyone asks about it. Now and then a client requires me to use free Passolo, or provides me with a portable MemoQ license to use on their job, no problem with that.

There are still some clients who demand Trados absolutely, even when their job doesn't justify the use of ANY CAT tool whatsoever (e.g. script-less video, handwriten docs, sworn translations in hard copy). They sort of tell me, "We don't talk - not even socially - with people who don't have Trados. If you ever have it, please be welcome to contact us again, however not before you buy it." So they reject me for not having/using Trados, no point in asking them if I can do that job with WF.

A few require translators to use, as they put it, "our own online translation engine, which we are developing". These are the only ones I actually refuse. After my unhappy experiences with both WordFast Pro and Anywhere, I can only imagine what it would be like working with their probably incipient CAT tool.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:02
Member (2006)
German to English
No, not really Nov 4, 2013

but if the "user-friendliness" is not user friendly, then I do tend to turn down the next job offered.
Fortunately, the jobs with a customer-customized program are pretty much well paid so the time taken to teach yourself how to use it does pay-off.

@Chris, Aren't all CAT tools user-fiendish - No, if you do not use them, then you may have that opinion, but I always use them even if not required and am more than happy with them. Everyone for themselves.....

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Yes Nov 4, 2013

If they want a CAT tool I don't have, then I don't accept the job. They won't dictate me what kind of tools I should use. I wouldn't have them tell me what kind of computer, mouse brand or printer use either.

But if I have the CAT they want - which automatically means I use it anyway - then there is no problem.

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Yes Nov 4, 2013

Whenever an assignment is based on CAT tool different from mine, I refuse it.

Fortunately, this happens very rarely.

And once I was asked to pay 10 Euros per month for a special CAT tool owned or controlled by the translation agency. Of course, I turned down the offer.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:02
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not often Nov 4, 2013

I am not often approached with sensible offers from prospective clients requesting CAT tools I don't use.

I have three CAT tools which I have collected over the years, I use them all, but I use one much more than the others. Most of my clients don't care about my use of CAT tools anyway, the ones who do express a preference usually ask for Trados, as it is one of the tools I have, I am fine with that.

Recently I have used, but not yet purchased, MemoQ for an increasing number of jobs for a couple of new clients too and quite like it. That's a possible future investment for me ... but too early to say yet

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Across Nov 4, 2013

I always turn down or suggest a higher rate for Across projects now, it's a nightmare tool, completely user "unfriendly", and unstable.

Fortunately most clients reject my higher rate and look elsewhere!

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:02
English to Russian
+ ...
depends Nov 4, 2013

I will not study such sophisticated tools like deja vu, transit, across, etc. for just one clients and one project, however, I may consider such if offered by a long standing client or several clients

Marta Brambilla  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to Italian
+ ...
I don't understand the question! Nov 4, 2013

I'm not sure I understand what the asker whish to know from us with this question.
Of course, I have to turn down a job if the required CAT tool is one I do not have and/or I do not want to buy or install on my computer.
Otherwise, if the requested CAT is one I regularly work with and if I do accept working with CATs in general, I don't see why I shall turn down a job for this reason - I may turn it down for other reasons like deadline, rates, etc.

So I replied other ...
Have a nice day,
Marta B.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Oh Nov 4, 2013

Hazel Underwood wrote:

I always turn down or suggest a higher rate for Across projects now, it's a nightmare tool, completely user "unfriendly", and unstable.

Fortunately most clients reject my higher rate and look elsewhere!

If you use the freelancer version where you download the files, it is much more stable.
I never use Across online as I do not always work from home and, as you mentioned, it really is a nightmare

But it is just the same as Trados Studio now

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
French to English
No Nov 4, 2013

My mentor knows which CAT tools I use/own and sends me work accordingly.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Occasionally Nov 4, 2013

I inform my clients at the start that I work with Trados - Studio these days, or fairly happily without if necessary. I am rarely offered jobs that actually require a different tool.

Now and then I do turn down a job because the client requests a CAT that I don't work with, but not often.

I have never really managed to collaborate with one big agency who started a project and took me though a webinar with their tool. They then started asking me to do QC on a tight budget and with very tight deadlines, and I turned down those jobs for other reasons.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you often refuse assignments based on the requirement of a certain CAT Tool?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search