Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use a high-performance computer for your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 23:24
SITE STAFF
Nov 11, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use a high-performance computer for your translation work?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:24
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think so Nov 11, 2013

I said "other" because I'm not sure what a "high-performance computer" is. My new computer is a super-fast iMac (desktop) with 8 gigs of memory. Does that qualify?

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Nov 11, 2013

but what is "high-perfomance"

My computers and laptops have fast processors and large monitors with loads of RAM.

But they still do not reach a Mac by far..... Would prefer a Mac, but running Trados & Co on a windows partition? Nope

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Maybe (other) Nov 11, 2013

I think my computer is a middle-performance device. Not super-ultra-technological anyway.

But it does the work it is supposed to do...

Cristiana Sima  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:24
English to Romanian
+ ...
No Nov 11, 2013

I work on a MacBook, with a processor of 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and a memory of 2GB.. so, no, I don't think I use a high-performance computer.
Now, on the other hand, my (computer) brain.. whoohoo

Seriously, again, my next investment will be in a MacMini and two monitors (huge monitors). I really feel the need for a high-performance computer, but the cost of it is proportional, so for the moment I guess I must rely on the same old strategy - work > save > invest.

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
No Nov 11, 2013

Unless you count the one between my ears!

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:24
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Nov 11, 2013

Since my computers are "dangerously old" at 5 and 8 (10?, so old I've forgotten) years old, which in computer years is the equivalent of a geriatric in a wheelchair

High-performance? Hmmmm. Let's face it, you can never expect to get a computer fast enough, and they get exponentially faster with every model appearing on the market. Mine boot up in the morning with a lurch and groan -- they are not the Usain Bolts of the computer world.

However, they do what I tell them to do and my typing can't keep up with their processing speeds. So, that's good enough for me, I suppose.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What's high performance? Nov 11, 2013

I have 2 PCs, both running XP. Their performance is sufficiently "high" for my purposes. My backup PC is actually faster than the main one. I also have two laptops, which I suppose would be deemed "higher performance" because they have the abominable Windows 7... (needs must when the devil drives), but I still prefer to work on the older PCs.

Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 13:24
English to Vietnamese
high performance? Nov 11, 2013

I am working on a Laptop Dell Latitude E6520, Processor Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 M250@2410M, 8Gb RAM and I have no problem so far.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Core i5 Nov 11, 2013

Doan Quang wrote:

I am working on a Laptop Dell Latitude E6520, Processor Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 M250@2410M, 8Gb RAM and I have no problem so far.

Yes, the good old i5 processor. I have a laptop with the i7 processor, but after purchasing it, I had a discussion with some "computer freaks" and they told me that the i7 uses a heck of a lot more power than the i5.

So, high-performance is not always good, I recon?

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't know... Nov 11, 2013

I voted 'no' as I do have a fairly new computer (bought last year) but it was one of the cheaper (ergo: slower) ones on offer. Usually, I have only a dictionary, CAT-tool and internet browser open, so I reckoned I don't need an ultrafast one and so far I don't.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:24
German to English
+ ...
I laughed Nov 11, 2013

I laughed out loud at today's poll.

I have recently plugged a second 19-inch screen into my laptop (2-core) and am enjoying the ease with which I can now see marketing layout, diagrams and the occasional dead PDFs without moving away from the text on the laptop screen.

With a bit of luck, the super-duper desktop with two 22-inch screens and a desk to accommodate them will materialise in February for my 50th birthday.

In the meantime, I shall have to rely on the high performance of the translator.

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
I don't know. Nov 11, 2013

What does "high performance" mean?

I use an almost 4-year-old iMac OS 10.6.8, 4 GB... serves my purposes well. I can have 2 browsers, several dictionaries and thesaureses, MS Word and several other programs (and sometimes iTunes) open, and it still works quickly and efficiently. So high performance enough for me.

Edited to ask "Why?"

[Edited at 2013-11-11 11:47 GMT]

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 09:24
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes (?) Nov 11, 2013

Intel core i5
4 G memory (max 8 Gb)
15,6" display
750 G Hard disk

PLEASE tell my anxious laptop that he's considered a high performer, I really can't deal with yet another temper tantrum today!
My first ever "work" pc was a netbook, that was 6 years ago, and it was absolutely NOT bought for that work!
It used to choke when I opened PDFs. And my previous laptop "Right before I purchased my i5 ASUS" thought that it was OK to snooze in between paragraphs.

I agree that you don't need to buy higher specifications than what your work requires, but I don't think that processors like Dual Core are capable of handling a translator's workload anymore, unless you only use it as a sophisticated typing machine!

[Edited at 2013-11-11 14:23 GMT]

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Nov 11, 2013

I imagine the point of the poll is to see whether anyone feels the need to have a super-duper all-bells-and-whistles computer for run-of-the-mill translation work. I imagine those who do DTP will, but I don't.

My PC is middle of the road and about four years old. I change my computers only when they get too slow to bear, and so far this one is fine. Although it does take about 10 minutes to boot up.

I do always spend extra on a decent screen though.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a high-performance computer for your translation work?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search