Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you a part of a multicultural family?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 16, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you a part of a multicultural family?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka Márquez. View the poll results »

Simon Chiassai
Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:18
English to French
+ ...
I chose other Nov 16, 2013

I chose other because I am not part of a multi-cultural family per se, but if I were to have a family of my own in the current situation (not going to happen though), it would be multi-cultural.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice question! Nov 16, 2013

I don't think we've had this one before.

I answered "yes" because I was married to a Brazilian and inherited a large family from him who treat me as their own.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
French to English
Possibly Nov 16, 2013

I'm English, with a Welsh mother and Cornish husband. There is a Wiki entry for Cornish culture, which states that the culture of Cornwall "forms part of the culture of the United Kingdom, but has some distinct customs, traditions and peculiarities." So I'm not sure if I qualify or not.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Nov 16, 2013

My wife is Japanese, Japan has "very distinct customs and traditions" (thanks Elizabeth T) which I absolutely enjoy and my kids have inherited the best of both worlds -- and hopefully not Dad's "peculiarities".

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Nov 16, 2013

If I consider the immediate family I have Cape Verdean roots on my father's side. If I consider the extended family, there are members from Brazil, Belgium, England, France, USA...

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
yup Nov 16, 2013

two different nationalities both living abroad, so that makes three just at home

plus we the parents have brothers in three other countries (not counting our home countries)

a niece in another and a sister-in-law from yet another

makes four continents too!

(caps on strike today)

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A definite "Yes" Nov 16, 2013

Yep, a mixture of English, Scottish, Russian and Chinese, born in Malaysia, brought up in Brazil, married to someone who is part English, part Scottish, part German - we and the children have British and French nationality

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
German to English
+ ...
Quite multicultural Nov 16, 2013

I'm an American, with the frequent mix of various immigrant backgrounds (Norwegian, German, Swiss, Irish; 3 of my 4 grandparents had a first language other than English, the 4th stems from pre-Revolutionary War Scottish colonists). My husband is a Palestinian, but we met in Germany and lived there several years, so German is our primary family language. Now we are living in Palestine, but have 2 children in the US, one in Germany, and one in Jordan.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 16, 2013

Very international. My mother was Silesian (her parents were Prussian-Austrian), she was mostly Polish speaking though, even though the first language she learned was German perhaps some Silesian as a child. My Father was Lithuanian who had lived in Siberia for eighteen years (from age twelve and spoke perfect Russian, Lithuanian and the Eastern type of Polish as well as "native languages"). My husband is Russian and he mostly speaks English, having lived in the United States for many years, an... See more
Very international. My mother was Silesian (her parents were Prussian-Austrian), she was mostly Polish speaking though, even though the first language she learned was German perhaps some Silesian as a child. My Father was Lithuanian who had lived in Siberia for eighteen years (from age twelve and spoke perfect Russian, Lithuanian and the Eastern type of Polish as well as "native languages"). My husband is Russian and he mostly speaks English, having lived in the United States for many years, and Russian.(Russian from Northern Russia, but there is more or less one standard Russian). That's The story. I have only American nationality, but ethnically I am really Silesian/Baltic -- as far as some customs are concerned. Everyone in America likes talking about their roots from time to time. I think international families are great.

[Edited at 2013-11-16 11:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-16 11:07 GMT]
Collapse

Ben_ (X)
Ben_ (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
No Nov 16, 2013

Quite the opposite, actually - all my family are English going back as far as anybody can tell, and I'm the only person in my family who can speak more than one language. Where I grew up I more or less never heard anything other than English being spoken, so God only knows where my love of languages comes from! If/when I have children of my own though, I'll certainly expose them to other languages at a young age so they don't develop a mental block towards them.

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Nov 16, 2013

Like Ben above, we are all Portuguese and I am also the only one who can speak foreign languages.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about the kimono...? Nov 16, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

My wife is Japanese, Japan has "very distinct customs and traditions" (thanks Elizabeth T) which I absolutely enjoy and my kids have inherited the best of both worlds -- and hopefully not Dad's "peculiarities".

...you don't get to wear a kimono to work?

Mario

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Multicultural families Nov 16, 2013

If by multicultural we mean more than one culture in terms of more than one set of customs, traditions, worldviews, religions, etc., then I stand by my original answer: no.

I once had a wife who thought she was multicultural because she spoke some Spanish (which is my native tongue). Our worldviews differed greatly, which was only evident after a few months of marriage. We split.

Since I lived part of my childhood in both Argentina and Perú, raised mostly in the former
... See more
If by multicultural we mean more than one culture in terms of more than one set of customs, traditions, worldviews, religions, etc., then I stand by my original answer: no.

I once had a wife who thought she was multicultural because she spoke some Spanish (which is my native tongue). Our worldviews differed greatly, which was only evident after a few months of marriage. We split.

Since I lived part of my childhood in both Argentina and Perú, raised mostly in the former, I never quite fit in their traditional cultural framework. I am my own portable culture, which seems to rub some people the wrong way. Oh, well.

Good question, by the way.
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
A rare breed Nov 16, 2013

@ Ben: you are one of a very rare breed I would say.

Personally I am a Brit with Irish blood, as my father is Irish. My husband craftily holds dual British/Spanish nationality and one day I intend to take up Spanish nationality too, but I won't be relinquishing my British passport though. As a result, our children could be either British or Spanish but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you a part of a multicultural family?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »