Poll: Do you only work via the internet or do you have clients that come to your office as well?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:39
SITE STAFF
Nov 17, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you only work via the internet or do you have clients that come to your office as well?".

This poll was originally submitted by rziegler. View the poll results »

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Internet only Nov 17, 2013

Even if someone did want to come to my "office", it's too far off the beaten track for most clients. I can't even get post delivered.

Manescu Alexandra  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:39
Romanian to English
+ ...
sometimes Nov 17, 2013

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you only work via the internet or do you have clients that come to your office as well?".

This poll was originally submitted by rziegler. View the poll results »

Rarely some client come to my office.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 10:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Only via Internet nowadays! Nov 17, 2013

Both when I used to work as a sworn translator...

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Internet only Nov 17, 2013

I prefer customers/clients not to come to my office. It would take ages to make it presentable. It's my 'den', chaotic and disorganized just the way I like it. icon_biggrin.gif

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Twice Nov 17, 2013

Thus far 2 clients visited my office; two rare exceptions since most of my work comes either via Internet or phone.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Via e-mail and Internet Nov 17, 2013

In the old days, I used to go to the client's office to collect documents for translation and deliver translations.

My current office is not conducive to receiving clients; there is no visitor's chair, for one. Looking around today, it is certainly not presentable either. Besides, there is no need.

The author of a large project I worked on visited twice (when I had spare chairs) and spent a couple of hours each time working with me about two years ago, That was an exception to the norm.

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just the clients Nov 17, 2013

who want me to translate their birth certificates and the like come to my office.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Chaos is good Nov 17, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

I prefer customers/clients not to come to my office. It would take ages to make it presentable. It's my 'den', chaotic and disorganized just the way I like it. icon_biggrin.gif

My first office (in Brooklyn, NY) was chaotic in the way unread issues of The New York Times lay around (I'm a slow reader, ha).

Now my home office is quite presentable, but it's only because I learned to apply some order, I have much more space for my books (and issues of The Wall Street Journal)...and because I'm selling my condo.

My next place (a house) will have a roomier office, but I'm sure I'll manage to make it a den once I adopt a couple of dogs.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:39
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Internet Nov 17, 2013

Internet. It changed many work interactions around the world.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not for translation Nov 17, 2013

I've never had a translation client visit, but I've had several graphic design clients over. They like to watch us doodle.

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No Nov 18, 2013

I probably wouldn't want any of my clients to see me in my "work" clothes: pajamas, grotty t-shirt and slippersicon_smile.gif

Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:39
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
20 years ago... Nov 18, 2013

Before internet age: 20 years ago I have had a translation agency... -> Every kind of clients -mostly regional-.

Now, working from home office -> All my clients coming to me via internet icon_biggrin.gif.

Selamlar/Saludos

Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Only internet Nov 30, 2013

I started out with no more than an online profile and have sourced all of my work this way. I do talk to clients on the phone/skype/text, but all wok comes via the internet. Just like Neilmac above, I am very remote - 300 miles offshore. Most of my clients are based abroad. I wouldn't mind anyone coming to my home office, but I guess the travel involved would be difficult to justify...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you only work via the internet or do you have clients that come to your office as well?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search