https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/260005-poll_how_often_do_you_encourage_friends_or_family_members_to_become_freelance_translators.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you encourage friends or family members to become freelance translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 21, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you encourage friends or family members to become freelance translators?".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne-Sophie Cardinal. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:40
German to English
+ ...
Never Nov 21, 2013

Because those who approach me normally 'have done an A-level in French so thought they might give translation a go' or something similar. Pointing them at the postgraduate degree qualifications I had before embarking on the profession normally puts them off!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Nov 21, 2013

Generally, I don’t give advice unless I’m asked for it. Maybe I would if I thought the person had what is required to become a freelance translator, namely not only a suitable professional qualification and language skills but also stamina, determination, a thick skin, flexibility, patience, diplomacy, networking skills, research skills, an insatiable thirst for knowledge…

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:40
German to English
I try Nov 21, 2013

when I think someone has the capability, but I always make it clear they need to study hard and get the appropriate qualifications/experience
my worst failure is my hubby, he says he does not have the discipline required to work at home. Well, maybe he is right but when I think about him spending over 10 hours away from home in some rubbishy temping job, earning a third of what I earn, I feel like going out and getting a wh
... See more
when I think someone has the capability, but I always make it clear they need to study hard and get the appropriate qualifications/experience
my worst failure is my hubby, he says he does not have the discipline required to work at home. Well, maybe he is right but when I think about him spending over 10 hours away from home in some rubbishy temping job, earning a third of what I earn, I feel like going out and getting a whip. Discipline WILL be learnt
Collapse

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 23:40
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Rarely Nov 21, 2013

My answer should be closer to "Never", but I did encourage a friend once, he has an undergraduate degree in English literature, but it was other factors that held him back. People tend to greatly under-estimate the skills, time, commitment, and determination that taking this path requires.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rarely Nov 21, 2013

In fact, yesterday one friend, who has just walked out of a horrible job, asked me about becoming a translator, but I didn't encourage him. He see me working from home and getting up when I feel like it in the mornings and thinks it'll be easy going.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Never Nov 21, 2013

When my son was choosing his A level subjects, I discussed various career options with him. In fact, it was through researching on his behalf that I came across the Distance Learning MA Translation course, which I ended up doing myself. My son has many of the qualities that would make a great translator, and he has helped me many times when I've been struggling to find the right phrase. Unfortunately, he has abandoned modern languages in favour of Classics for his degree, and amuses himself by t... See more
When my son was choosing his A level subjects, I discussed various career options with him. In fact, it was through researching on his behalf that I came across the Distance Learning MA Translation course, which I ended up doing myself. My son has many of the qualities that would make a great translator, and he has helped me many times when I've been struggling to find the right phrase. Unfortunately, he has abandoned modern languages in favour of Classics for his degree, and amuses himself by translating the Aeneid into English verse.Collapse

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
Never, because freelance is a different kettle of fish for most people. Nov 21, 2013

I have a good few friends and family members whom I suspect would be more than decent translators, but it is the freelance aspect that would put them off: it is not for many, the life of a freelance entrepreneur, regardless of the underlying skill set (on this website, it is mainly translation). Most people I know value the cozy worry-free being employed situation too much, where a more or less guaranteed pay check rolls in every month and where they don't have to worry about where the revenue i... See more
I have a good few friends and family members whom I suspect would be more than decent translators, but it is the freelance aspect that would put them off: it is not for many, the life of a freelance entrepreneur, regardless of the underlying skill set (on this website, it is mainly translation). Most people I know value the cozy worry-free being employed situation too much, where a more or less guaranteed pay check rolls in every month and where they don't have to worry about where the revenue is gonna come from next month. I myself did not become freelance translator by choice and while I like the freedom, there are drawbacks to being self-employed, drawbacks that I would not wish on anybody, certainly not friends or family.Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Never Nov 21, 2013

First of all, I don't think there is any long-term future in it -I am too happy to be approaching my retirement... And most people asking me such advice say "my son/daughter is no good at numbers, so we thought he/she should study languages". This is a business, they must know how to count!

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
I think you really have to want to do it Nov 21, 2013

When people who speak several languages talk to me, they always mention that they could probably do "it" as well. I tell them a little about what to expect and I mention the upsides and downsides. But so far, it has remained an option for all of them, as far as I know.

Most people don't want to do this job, they only want the freedom, but not the responsibility.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
In one case, yes Nov 21, 2013

My son, who was raised speaking both Spanish and English, has an enormous talent for language and has decided to study Translation and Interpretation when he enters university next year. Not only has he been raised to be as perfectly bilingual as possible, he has the other qualities that Teresa mentioned and I think he will be a fine translator someday.

When his last English teacher found he could speak English better than the teacher himself, he first assigned him some books to re
... See more
My son, who was raised speaking both Spanish and English, has an enormous talent for language and has decided to study Translation and Interpretation when he enters university next year. Not only has he been raised to be as perfectly bilingual as possible, he has the other qualities that Teresa mentioned and I think he will be a fine translator someday.

When his last English teacher found he could speak English better than the teacher himself, he first assigned him some books to read in English, but my son read them so quickly that the teacher decided to give him some newspaper articles to translate...when he asked me to look over his first assignment, I found that (apart from a couple of references that he didn't understand, probably due his age) it was as good as some "professional" translations I have proofread.

He's the first, and quite possibly the last, person I have encouraged to enter this field.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:40
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Never give up Nov 21, 2013

Elizabeth T wrote:

Unfortunately, he has abandoned modern languages in favour of Classics for his degree, and amuses himself by translating the Aeneid into English verse.

@Elizabeth
Do not abandon hope.

I have a Classics background -- 7 years of Latin and 4 years of Greek at grammar school. In spite of 'all odds', I opted for Japanese -- which is as 'modern' as it gets -- at London University, ended up coming over here and am currently in my 31st year of translating.

You never know what the roll of the dice will bring you. Tell him that there's always the option of studying other weird and wonderful languages somewhere along the line.

I'd like to add that I recently decided to teach myself Welsh for the same reason that I studied Japanese -- to do something completely different just for the sheer hell of it!

Added last line

[Edited at 2013-11-21 14:38 GMT]

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not often ... Nov 21, 2013

Freelancing is not for everyone, neither is translation. I would encourage someone I thought it would suit, discourage others. But only people who have asked me for career advice lately are my sons, who are at least bi and probably tri-lingual, they might consider it one day I suppose, but right now one wants to be a private detective and the other wants to be a lego designer, I suggested he might need to learn Danish, he shrugged and said, "just like learning any other language that ends in 'is... See more
Freelancing is not for everyone, neither is translation. I would encourage someone I thought it would suit, discourage others. But only people who have asked me for career advice lately are my sons, who are at least bi and probably tri-lingual, they might consider it one day I suppose, but right now one wants to be a private detective and the other wants to be a lego designer, I suggested he might need to learn Danish, he shrugged and said, "just like learning any other language that ends in 'ish' I suppose". We'll see ....

[Edited at 2013-11-21 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not often Nov 21, 2013

As most people who ask me for their opinion about it have either language skills plus a degree, or other qualifications 'but I speak English, too'. I have met two people last year who are looking for more flexibility, could cope with an insecure income source, are disciplined and have useful qualifications and experience (an experienced solicitor with a degree in French and some years' work experience in France, and a biomedical professional who has lived and worked abroad with excellent languag... See more
As most people who ask me for their opinion about it have either language skills plus a degree, or other qualifications 'but I speak English, too'. I have met two people last year who are looking for more flexibility, could cope with an insecure income source, are disciplined and have useful qualifications and experience (an experienced solicitor with a degree in French and some years' work experience in France, and a biomedical professional who has lived and worked abroad with excellent language and researching skills).

I have actively discouraged others ("well, you know, it will take a while before you start earning enough to live off, you should really look into getting a language or translation qualification first, and to be honest, I don't think there is a lot of work in your particular area of interest/qualification").
Collapse

Simon Chiassai
Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Very rarely Nov 21, 2013

As it has been said, it's not for everybody. But I have friends who are unhappy working in-house as PMs or translators, and they are the ones I try to lure to the dark side, and that's because I think they have the ability and the discipline.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you encourage friends or family members to become freelance translators?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »