https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/260164-poll_in_terms_of_project_length_what_type_of_work_do_you_prefer.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In terms of project length, what type of work do you prefer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 24, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In terms of project length, what type of work do you prefer?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilakahuja. View the poll results »

Petro Ebersöhn (X)
Petro Ebersöhn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
Both Nov 24, 2013

...as the short term projects are necessary to survive until the long term one is finished and its payment arrives. If the long term project consists of ongoing short jobs, it depends on the amount of money every job brings in, and of course how regular the jobs are.

Vibeke Degn-P
Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Both, please Nov 24, 2013

I have two (soon three) "projects" that run in the background all the time, with predictable deadlines throughout the year. They are my bread and butter, the income I can plan my economy around. But hey, that would be boring without the short ones, with new topics, different customers and fresh stuff to learn. The fun of beeing self employed is to be able to plan my day between short and long. Wouldn't want it any other way.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 24, 2013

Work is work.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
How to eat an elephant? Nov 24, 2013

One chunk at a time.

An ominous project must be divided in smaller chunks, and milestones must be set. Otherwise there will be no way to tell whether the last piece of it will be delivered on time.

I like variety, anyway.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Nov 24, 2013

Both, please! Like José Henrique, I like variety and, like Neil, in my book work is work... It all boils up to one thing: being organised and methodical!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:56
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Long-term projects Nov 24, 2013

For the security

You know how much work -- and money -- is coming in and you can plan accordingly in advance. Very much like the automotive project I started 1 month ago that will keep yours truly busy and in clover until mid-February.
Small or medium-sized jobs in the mean time also are welcome as extra icing on the cake.

@Petro2
With big jobs, you are entitled to negotiate for payment in
... See more
For the security

You know how much work -- and money -- is coming in and you can plan accordingly in advance. Very much like the automotive project I started 1 month ago that will keep yours truly busy and in clover until mid-February.
Small or medium-sized jobs in the mean time also are welcome as extra icing on the cake.

@Petro2
With big jobs, you are entitled to negotiate for payment in equal instalments or payment for work delivered by a mutually agreed upon date each month. If a customer/client demands your full attention during a long-term project, monthly payments are expected as a retainer for your services. After all, you have a make a living.
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Short projects, but... Nov 24, 2013

... long-term co-operation.

Due to my main field, I usually work on short files (2000-7000 words), but they keep coming. I like it that way, maybe because I worked out my schedule for such projects and can be most productive when working this way.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
long term... Nov 24, 2013

... with a few short term projects for added spice.

It all boils up to one thing: being organised and methodical!

off topic: Thank you! Boiling up to something for me just makes so much more sense than boiling down to something!
Or maybe that is just my short term thinking versus being patient enough to watch anything boil down...

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Other Nov 24, 2013

My projects can be 2500 to 30K words and I am ok with any size. What I like is having the folders for the following months quite full of projects.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The perfect formular Nov 24, 2013

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

... long-term co-operation.

Due to my main field, I usually work on short files (2000-7000 words), but they keep coming. I like it that way, maybe because I worked out my schedule for such projects and can be most productive when working this way.

Projects of medium to short length, but long-term collaboration(s) are best. It's more interesting to have various shorter projects, even within the same speciality. The key point is to have plenty of work - either short, medium or long projects - for the months to come.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
It is so nice to see Nov 24, 2013

So nice to see that regular contributors here all like to have their cake and eat it too! That's the way it should be!

Both, for me, because a bit of variety is important.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Long projects as the main activity Nov 24, 2013

With long-term projects, you can fill in the gaps with smaller projects and plan ahead, like some have already said.

I'm living the ideal situation for me: a long-term contract that keeps me busy 40 hours a week, with smaller jobs. But the downside is that I haven't had a full-day break in a while.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
A good chunk Nov 24, 2013

I would say my ideal job is between 2,000 - 10,000 words. Big enough to be a decent chunk of cash - small enough not to see a month of your life fading away... it's all a balance between subsistence and existence, after all!

Steve K.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not really much more to add... Nov 24, 2013

Only that I prefer larger projects so that my wife and I can work together on the translation, so we finish in half the time but still get paid the full amount. It's not perfect though. I've taken on two large and rather boring projects this month, but she's been busy with several smaller projects. Let's just say that I've been spending a lot of long and lonely days in the office while she watches tv and translates exciting and fun texts on her laptop.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In terms of project length, what type of work do you prefer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »