https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/260908-poll_what_worries_you_most_in_your_trade.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What worries you most in your trade?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 7, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What worries you most in your trade?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Blanc. View the poll results »

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Low rates Dec 7, 2013

What worries me most is low rates and also having to pay one hundred and twenty taxes which crush the Brazilian economy to death. Brazil has the highest taxes in the world, and most goes into the pockets of politicians.

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nothing, really Dec 7, 2013

It's such a brilliant way to earn a living! There are annoyances, but no real worries.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:55
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Fluctuating workloads Dec 7, 2013

One week/month, you can be up to your eyeballs in work, and the next, you could be seeing the whites of your knuckles. This uncertainty is very unnerving, both financially and stresswise.

As Mike says, this is a brilliant way to earn a living, if only work was constant -- at my rates, of course -- so that I could plan ahead with more certainty.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
The Feast Famine Cycle Dec 7, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

One week/month, you can be up to your eyeballs in work, and the next, you could be seeing the whites of your knuckles. This uncertainty is very unnerving, both financially and stresswise.

As Mike says, this is a brilliant way to earn a living, if only work was constant -- at my rates, of course -- so that I could plan ahead with more certainty.

I agree with Julian. It is the uncertainty associated with the peaks and troughs in demand that is the most stressful part of the job. The pattern is unpredictable and makes it difficult to plan ahead with any degree of certainty. Accordingly, I often end up working unsociable hours when the peaks occur, which just adds to the stress.

Alexandranow
Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:55
Romanian to English
+ ...
low rates Dec 7, 2013

low rates and fluctuating workload

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other: getting it right Dec 7, 2013

Like Mike, I don't worry about any of the issues mentioned. The only thing I really worry about is getting my translation right.

From the questions I see posted on KudoZ, it's clear that a number of us are very concerned about capturing the precise meaning and expressing it appropriately in our target language. And from the variety of discussions I see posted, it's obvious finding the right solution can be quite challenging.

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:55
English to Indonesian
Machine translation and dropping rates Dec 7, 2013

To be honest technologies worry me the most. I'm not sure if in the next ten years machines won't take over some part of our trades. Also, dropping rates as some you are experiencing.

[Edited at 2013-12-07 09:47 GMT]

Cristiana Sima
Cristiana Sima  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:55
English to Romanian
+ ...
Show me the moneeeeey!! Dec 7, 2013

low rates, unpredictable workload etc. - it all translates into getting the (big) bucks

I like this activity, but I do it for the money, so, that is my concern and my purpose.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:55
English to Italian
other Dec 7, 2013

a bad combination: future/low rates due to a continuous lower offer/consideration of our profession/taxes (Italy)

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
An option is missing imo Dec 7, 2013

Where is the option all of the above?

Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Notorious feast or famine Dec 7, 2013

Having spent a week without work, I'd definitely say it's the uncertainty and lack of stability.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:55
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Perhaps a combination Dec 7, 2013

The impact of low rates and/or a disrupted work-flow can cause some concern. Stress caused by tight deadlines and high demands (the concern of delivering a high-quality translation), paired with hardware failure/problems and/or a bad Internet connectivity add to the "worries". As do the other "options", although on a lower level.

The main concern is, however, the persistent uncertainty in regard to what tomorrow might (or may not) bring. But every professional concerns are well wor
... See more
The impact of low rates and/or a disrupted work-flow can cause some concern. Stress caused by tight deadlines and high demands (the concern of delivering a high-quality translation), paired with hardware failure/problems and/or a bad Internet connectivity add to the "worries". As do the other "options", although on a lower level.

The main concern is, however, the persistent uncertainty in regard to what tomorrow might (or may not) bring. But every professional concerns are well worth it for as long as I love what I'm doing.
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Whether the work will keep on coming Dec 7, 2013

So far all has been well, but there is always a 'what if' in the back of my mind. What if I finish a project and then no new work comes in?

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Impersonal agencies? Dec 7, 2013

I think the current trend which disturbs me the most is large, impersonal, web-based agencies who simply treat translators like pawns in their game, rather than human beings. Which is why my best customers, who get first priority, are real people who recognise that I too have to make a living!

Steve K.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What worries you most in your trade?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »