Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is the typical length of one project you receive?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 10:21
SITE STAFF
Dec 13, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is the typical length of one project you receive?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
German to English
+ ...
I voted other ... Dec 13, 2013

Because the vast majority of projects are less than a day's work.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:21
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Me too... Dec 13, 2013

Because my projects don't fall into any particular pattern.

This week I delivered one project with a 3-day deadline which I slotted into a 3-month project that I'm delivering in instalments until the 1st week of February.
The longest project I've ever done took 5.5 months to complete. icon_rolleyes.gif

BTW, before you ask, I get payment arranged into equal amounts spread over the entire period or get paid for work delivered by the end of each month when I do long-run projects. Otherwise, I'll go looking for work from other customers.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 20:21
Turkish to English
+ ...
hours Dec 13, 2013

The work that I receive is more typically measurable in hours rather than days.

Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
1 - 3 days Dec 13, 2013

I answered 1 - 3 days, because most of my working time seems to be spent on projects of this length. However, my preference would be to work on projects in the 1 - 2 week brackets, since it enables my to plan further ahead without becoming stale or placing too much reliance on a single client.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other: <1 day Dec 13, 2013

30 jobs a month / 20 days = less than 1 day

But averages are misleading - I have a long tail (so to speak). Maybe 20 of those jobs will take under 2 hours, while 1 or 2 will take nearer a week. The odd job takes a whole month.

Generally I don't like jobs lasting more than a week. I seem to have a low boredom threshold.

[Edited at 2013-12-13 09:26 GMT]

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Variety is the spice of life Dec 13, 2013

One of the things I love about translating is that it could be 10 minutes or it could be 10 weeks.
I answered 1-3 days as that is closest to the majority of my jobs, but the long ones could never be a majority, if you are squeezing bits and bobs in as well, as you can't fit that many in.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:21
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Same here Dec 13, 2013

Typically for me, I have a deadline today to deliver a couple of days' work, around 4000 words (academic text, few repetitions).

In my in-tray I have one with 66 words and one with a couple of thousand minus lots of repetitions, and a promise of 'a page', all of which I can probably deliver on Monday, though the deadlines are later.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Dec 13, 2013

There is no such thing as a typical length: it varies from 5 minutes (the shortest) to 1 year (the longest)...

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
1-3 Dec 13, 2013

Most of my projects fit into this bracket. Personally, I don't like projects that stretch over 5 days.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It seems that... Dec 13, 2013

I thought the whole world ran on a 1-3 day schedule.icon_eek.gif

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No pattern whatsoever Dec 13, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

There is no such thing as a typical length: it varies from 5 minutes (the shortest) to 1 year (the longest)...

I've had projects that lasted nearly a year and quite a few that took more than 2 months. On the other hand, some of them take less than an hour.

That said, the majority of my jobs are between 2,000 and 10,000 words. I don't get too many short ones.

Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
With Teresa Dec 13, 2013

From 30 minutes (birth certificates) to 3 months (books).

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 13, 2013

I rarely get more than a few thousand words at a time from my regular (non-agency) clients these days.

I understand "project" as something larger than a "job". Lately I've mostly been getting "jobs" rather than projects. For example, one direct client sends me newsletters and blog articles a few times a week. They range from 300-400 words to 1500 words on average and so far this month I've translated roughly 3500 words for this client. December has been quiet this year so far, which is nice, as I have a lot of admin and things like dentist and doctor appointments to deal with.

I understand the texts I translate by the number of words they contain - the time taken for a translation will usually vary depending on how knowledgeable I happen to be in the subject and how much tweaking the drafts require.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
A mix Dec 13, 2013

50% are 2-4 week projects, and 50% are 1-3 day projects that I squeeze in.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the typical length of one project you receive?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search