Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you get annoyed if your clients misspell your name?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 01:13
SITE STAFF
Dec 15, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you get annoyed if your clients misspell your name?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Dec 15, 2013

I don't get annoyed about it - it makes me laugh. I have a client with whom I have a very good long term relationship. He always calls me Thérèsa instead of Teresa as if I couldn't quite figure out how to write my own name correctly…

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but I should be used to it by now Dec 15, 2013

I know my particular spelling isn't the most common, but when it's in my email address and signature, it's not hard to double check that it ends with an o. The constant teasing from my Spanish speaking friends and clients would lead you to think that they would spell it correctly, but most think that it's some kind of joke.

I would use my middle name, Michael, but my dad and cousin are both Mikes and I don't think we can handle another.

Edited x4: I really need to stop posting stuff at 2 am...

[Edited at 2013-12-16 00:57 GMT]

Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:13
English to French
+ ...
Depends Dec 15, 2013

I don't mind the occasional mistake here and there, but it gets on my nerve when the client doesn't learn. I mean, my name isn't that hard to spell, and it's in every single one of my emails.

Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, Dec 15, 2013

if that is intentional.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Hardly ever. Dec 15, 2013

Nor do I usually worry when people mispronounce it, But I wasn't pleased on one occasion at the lost property office in Reading Station, when I told the man my name, and he said "Oh, you mean Dirty".

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Dec 15, 2013

It doesn't bother me if they mispronounce it either.
Most Spanish speakers tend to pronounce my name to rhyme with "nail" (nay-eel) if they see it written, so I tell them my name is "nilo", a nickname some of my friends use. And my surname sounds a bit like a swear when read out phonetically in Spanish, which can be quite amusing, so it's chuckles all round

Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
I take it as a compliment Dec 15, 2013

Actually, I usually take it as a compliment when clients misspell my name.

Both my surname and forename are potentially interchangeable, so foreign clients often do not know which one to address me by. When they address me by my surname the mistake which they most commonly make is to spell my name with a "d" rather than a "t". I take this as a compliment, since in Scotland this is in fact the original spelling of the name and is prestigious on account of its connections with our royal family.

It is a rather fortuitous mistake, but it does add a little bit of colour to client relations and brightens up my day.

[Edited at 2013-12-15 09:34 GMT]

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
OOps Dec 15, 2013

I seem to have posted this twice...

[Edited at 2013-12-15 09:38 GMT]

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Not really Dec 15, 2013

An occasional typo or a mistake don't bother me (my surname was twisted beyond recognition by my countrymen so many times that I got used to it). Repetitive mistake is another matter - I find it a lack of respect that you can't even bother to make sure you write correctly the name of the person with whom you are in constant contact

I'm a lot more annoyed being called "Mrs."

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You've struck a chord with this question Dec 15, 2013

I too think it's a matter of respect to get someone's name right: I don't mind if the pronunciation is a bit off (the Spanish aren't great at the long English "o" in Noni), but I get annoyed by not bothering, and by the failure to observe how to to spell it, which is not, you have to admit, complicated!

My given name is actually Fiona, which I do not use except on official forms. One of the reasons my parents chose the name was that it would be easy for Spanish speakers to pronounce and spell it. I had to laugh a few years back when I appeared in an official Spanish publication as "Fabiola". Close?

Further comment: my children's surname is Hernanz, which is a common enough surname in the province of Segovia where their father comes from, but virtually unknown elsewhere, and it is always getting "corrected" to Herranz, or Hernández or similar. Like another contributor, I find it galling that others should think they know better than me, in this case about my sons' names, but they will often correct with a satisfied tone, and in writing, however much I stress the correct version, people get it wrong more often than not. I have less trouble with Gilbert here in Spain, despite it being confusable with Gilabert.

Slightly off topic, since it is about pronunciation rather than spelling: if you phone to make a doctor's appointment in the Comunitat de Valencia, the automatic system offers you the choice of doing this in English. I thought I'd try this out one day, but was almost stumped when I had to confirm date of birth by stating my surname, which the voice recognition on the system failed to recognise until I realised I had to pronounce it phonetically in Spanish!

[Edited at 2013-12-15 10:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-15 10:24 GMT]

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:13
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Dec 15, 2013

How on Earth could you misspell the name of the most famous detective on the plant. Blush!

The Japanese sometimes do leave the final 'n' off my first name, which makes me blush even more, especially when tellers call out my name loud at a bank for all to hear. Gasp!
I just tell them that, in fact, I am without doubt a hot-blooded male with powerful male hormones cursing through my viens, which makes the tellers blush. They soon get the message and tack the 'n' -- a very important 'n' for me, that is -- onto my emasculated name.

Added a few things to spice up my reply to what could be a very droll poll. Boy, do I feel wicked on weekends.

[Edited at 2013-12-15 12:38 GMT]

Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:13
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
No Dec 15, 2013

No. Contrary I enjoy it.

Some of misspells of my name (Adnan Özdemir):

Adlan
Ado
Adnen
Atlan
---
Ozdemir
Ösdemir
Ozudemir
----

And finally sometimes, some clients writing with irrelevant names

Funny too.

Selamlar/Saludos

[Edited at 2013-12-15 11:30 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Dec 15, 2013

Accidents happen, since we're all only human.

Sometimes it's even quite funny to read the results of such misspells.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:13
Russian to English
+ ...
I haven't known too many people who could spell my name correctly, and especially pronounce it. Dec 15, 2013

I sometimes spell it different ways, myself, depending on the purpose of the communication. Also, I use pen names, sometimes. Playing with names is fun. No, I would not be offended in the least, unless they purposely changed it into something unpleasant.

Some names freedom is allowed in the US -- I am not sure how it works in other countries.

[Edited at 2013-12-15 12:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you get annoyed if your clients misspell your name?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search