Poll: Do you have a backup computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:14
SITE STAFF
Dec 23, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a backup computer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Astrid Vallero. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:14
Member (2006)
German to English
No, not directly Dec 23, 2013

but I do have 3 laptops all configuredin the same manner which I use for different customers.
And I also have a couple of backup external HD´s

Al Arafat  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:14
Member (2014)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Dropbox- my solution Dec 23, 2013

I keep all my files in my Dropbox folder. Files sync online automatically.
Get free Dropbox here, https://db.tt/jmnviOL
You may feel benefited.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have backup parts Dec 23, 2013

... and keep an electric screwdriver handy. Most of all, I know how to fix a computer quickly.

First, I have some preventative maintenance routines in place. I use SpinRite to keep my hard drives healthy, as well as a few other apps to keep my system & software installation at top performance.

In a recent office cleanup I saw my spare complete motherboard, a bunch of spare hard disks and computer power supply units. Three spare printers (just plug in a new ink cartridge), two spare (CRT) monitors, etc. No need for an UPS; due to my peculiar location, if I have a power outage, the entire downtown area will be out of water, so they are VERY careful about it.

Fast scanners are no longer made/marketed for home users. I still have one such SCSI unit from the old times, however its last driver was made for Windows 98. One day I suddenly had a job requiring me to scan 400 pages. It took me less than 3 hours to assemble - from e-junk available - a Pentium MMX, install Win 98, AND scan all those pages. Of course, I moved the resulting file to my present computer, to work on it efficiently.

It always amazes me how many translators only use notebooks, built for portability, not for extended use.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:14
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Dec 23, 2013

My 3 computers (1 desktop in Lisbon, 1 desktop in Brussels + 1 PC) are all connected through GoToMyPC, I have been using it for the last 10 years and I am quite happy with it!

Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, one Dec 23, 2013

my old one, which is still functional and may be put back into service for emergencies.

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In the cloud Dec 23, 2013

I use Dropbox.

Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I wish I could buy a proper PC Dec 23, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
It always amazes me how many translators only use notebooks, built for portability, not for extended use.

I move every few month (typically 2 to 5 times a year) and do not own a car. Ideally I'd be working on a double-monitor warmachine that would serve a double purpose: work PC by day, music recording studio by night. Unfortunately in my situation, it is not possible.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 23, 2013

I have my monster desktop, which I built for gaming since I mostly translate video games, but it's amazingly fast and stable when running all my CAT tools, all my DTP software and blaring my youtube playlist in the back ground.

My wife is using our laptop for her translation and graphic design/photography work, but I hope to buy her a new one within the next few weeks (don't tell her, it's her birthday present! And it's a good thing she never reads these, haha). Once I get the new laptop, I'm going to wipe the old laptop and start playing more with Ubuntu.

Finally, I have the old tower that I back everything up to every night. It's not really remarkable, I bought it for $70 at a college auction, but it's very stable and has never failed me.

Because I am a little paranoid, I do backup my most recent files to the cloud (client permitting), just to be safe. I have hard copies of all my financial records as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a backup computer?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search