Poll: Do you still work during the holiday season?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:53
SITE STAFF
Dec 25, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you still work during the holiday season?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alexandra Villeminey. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Dec 25, 2013

But only for a few select customers and clients.

Merry Xmas to you all. Yo ho ho!

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:53
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Dec 25, 2013

of course, life does not stand still because of a few holidays.

I do limit mayself however so that I have more time for my family.

Merry Christmas to all as well

Agggghh Julian, Xmas??

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:53
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Holiday season? Dec 25, 2013

In a large part of the world, this is not holiday season.
Of course we work.
Enjoy your holidays!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 02:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Dec 25, 2013

I didn't work yesterday afternoon (too busy cooking Christmas dinner), I will not work today (I will be in the kitchen again in a few minutes...), but tomorrow everything goes back to normal, as I am expecting a big project announced last week. Anyway, most of my clients keep on working (with 1 or 2 exceptions) during the so-called holiday season and so do I!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:53
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Holidays Dec 25, 2013

Sandra & Ken wrote:

In a large part of the world, this is not holiday season.
Of course we work.
Enjoy your holidays!

Although Christmas is a holiday in Germany, not everybody living here is celebrating it. Some of my clients don't celebrate Christmas, and are expeting/hoping that I am available... which I am.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it.

[Edited at 2013-12-25 11:56 GMT]

dianaft  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Better times to take time off Dec 25, 2013

I guess it would be different, if I lived near my family or had a family myself.
As it is, going home is a 2-day, 3-flight effort each way. At Christmas time, this costs me 3 times as much as during the summer holidays, 5-6 times as much as during the rest of the year. So that's a grand that can easily be spend in other ways.
Since I am not with my family, I don't really see the point in taking the time off. I will have my holidays whenever I can actually do something with them.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Holiday season Dec 25, 2013

Hello, Michael. Yo ho ho!

Michael Harris wrote:

Agggghh Julian, Xmas??

Holiday seasons differ where you are based.
I'm in Japan, and, as far as I am concerned, Xmas has fallen only once or twice at the most on a Sunday in the 34 years I've been over here. And the result? Xmas is just another weekday or working day.

The Japanese New Year (Dec 30, 31, Jan 1, 2,3) feels so much more 'Xmasy' because people are getting silly drunk and celebrating. Yessss. I can relate to this!

Which is why I am still in front of a computer. 9:30 at night here in sunny 'ole Japan. But between you and me, sssh!, I have a gutfull of Xmas cheer inside me. Yoo hoo! And, Yo ho ho!

Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Yes, I do Dec 25, 2013

I'm a bit confused by the "still" word in the question. Is there any standard time one should stop?

Unless I have special plans for Christmas (which I rarely do, as I don't celebrate it), I treat those days as normal working days with the luxury of no interrupting emails from agencies, which do not work. The same goes for weekends

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Dec 25, 2013

I'm actually laying on the cold floor of my parent's cabin, missing my warm bed. This is the first time in years that I've taken any time off, holiday or no, so I'm enjoying it.

For those who do work, it may be worth the effort to charge extra

[Edited at 2013-12-25 13:48 GMT]

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:53
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 25, 2013

I tell some of my clients that I will be available during the holidays. I am more than happy to have work during the holidays! However, this year, so far, no one has contacted me. I'll probably have the whole holiday off, but right after new year's it gets back to normal.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Family is where the heart is Dec 25, 2013

dianaft wrote:

I guess it would be different, if I lived near my family or had a family myself.
As it is, going home is a 2-day, 3-flight effort each way. At Christmas time, this costs me 3 times as much as during the summer holidays, 5-6 times as much as during the rest of the year. So that's a grand that can easily be spend in other ways.
Since I am not with my family, I don't really see the point in taking the time off. I will have my holidays whenever I can actually do something with them.

Hear hear! I invited my baby sister (she's 38) and her toddler to spend X-mas with me, but she decided to make it a holiday for her own family (her husband and relatives in Utah). So, we talk on the phone to wish each other happy holidays.

Traveling in holiday time, in winter here in USA is a piece of stress that I can live without, plus the expense.

In addition, I adopted a tomcat with whom I'm spending the holidays.

Happy Holidays, Diana and everyone!

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sharp-eyed lady Dec 25, 2013

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

I'm a bit confused by the "still" word in the question. Is there any standard time one should stop?

Unless I have special plans for Christmas (which I rarely do, as I don't celebrate it), I treat those days as normal working days with the luxury of no interrupting emails from agencies, which do not work. The same goes for weekends

Good call, I didn't notice the still there.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:53
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still? Dec 25, 2013

It was the first thing I saw. I have always worked through the holidays and expect to continue to do so. I can't remember a day when I didn't have a pending assignment. If that were to happen, I'm not sure what I'd do with my time.

On Sunday I hosted a dinner, but I worked after everything was put away, and today I will be working in the evening, after dinner with friends.

I feel my heart opening up very wide today, which is what the holidays are about, and a little bit of work won't change that.

So I send happy wishes to everyone, whatever your spiritual persuasion, at this special time of the year!

Türker Türkbayrak  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nice biased poll Dec 26, 2013

If you are on a holiday you are less likely to open proz (at least notice poll section), so you do not answer the poll and vice versa.

I think the result of this poll shall be biased

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you still work during the holiday season?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search