Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If you have a project due in the afternoon of a certain date, do you usually deliver...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:22
SITE STAFF
Dec 27, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you have a project due in the afternoon of a certain date, do you usually deliver...".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne-Sophie Cardinal. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 14:22
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
It depends Dec 27, 2013

I voted 'right on time', but in retrospect, I should have chosen 'Other'.

Most of my clients are based in Europe or North America, which means they are 7 to 17 hours behind my time.

My afternoon is morning in Europe and either night time or early-morning hours in North America. My clients' afternoon is usually either my night time or my early-morning hours.

In any case, I try to deliver either more or less on the dot or one hour or so earlier. However, if the deadline is actually in my early-morning hours, I try to deliver on or before my midnight. I won't want to work beyond midnight unless it is really necessary.

So it really depends.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Other another option needed Dec 27, 2013

"As soon as I can" is the only answer I would want to give to this.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Other Dec 27, 2013

It varies. If it's a long project I've been working on over several days, I'll probably deliver it in the morning. But if it's a shorter-deadline job, I'll deliver closer to the deadline.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Dec 27, 2013

It varies a lot. I deliver when it's done and dusted! I’m known to deliver quite often ahead of time and I have found that this gives me an excellent argument when I need to negotiate a new deadline.

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Dec 27, 2013

I always try to deliver well in advance, but it is not always possible

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 08:22
Turkish to English
+ ...
I always attempt to ... Dec 27, 2013

finish the work as quickly as possible, and I deliver as soon as I have finished. Usually I deliver well before the deadline, but occasionally I only manage to deliver at the last minute.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:22
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
other/right on time Dec 27, 2013

I also have clients in the UK or Continental europe and their afternoon is my morning. So if I have a project due for their afternoon, I usually have it done by the evening, my time.
Although the same goes for local clients or clients in the same time zone...afternoon means the night before, usually.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:22
Member (2012)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Other Dec 27, 2013

I deliver a job as soon as I can.

I quote Tim Drayton when he writes

I always attempt to finish the work as quickly as possible, and I deliver as soon as I have finished. Usually I deliver well before the deadline, but occasionally I only manage to deliver at the last minute.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
In the morning Dec 27, 2013

or when it is finished, but geneally always on time.

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Other Dec 27, 2013

When it is finished.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Dec 27, 2013

Jack Doughty wrote:

"As soon as I can" is the only answer I would want to give to this.

A 100% agree to Jack's answer.

The only answer is: as soon as the translation and the proof-reading are completed. I always deliver on time; oftentimes hours, sometimes even a day before the deadline.

[Edited at 2013-12-27 11:47 GMT]

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 27, 2013

I'm with Jack on this one.

I always try to allow some space between deadlines to have room for unexepected jobs or unforeseen tricky elements in each particular job. But once I agree to a deadline, I comply with it, or deliver earlier if possible, or rather: when the job is done, I deliver, as this may help the client and it enables me tp close the job, tidy up folders and email communication and keep my order book neat and tidy, which I like.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Whenever it's finished Dec 27, 2013

...whether that is a day before the deadline, an hour or a minute.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It depends Dec 27, 2013

It depends on a lot of things, but a deadline like that usually means time is limited, and I deliver as early as possible.

If the job came in came in two hours before deadline, then probably right on the deadline.

There are all sorts of other situations, varying with the amount of leeway the client was able to give me and how busy I am, or where the text is sent after I deliver - to a proofreader, DTP etc. or straight to the end client.

However, I never hold jobs back, and most of my clients are in the same time zone as me or one hour behind, so there is usually someone waiting for my text if it has to be delivered in the afternoon instead of EOB or in the mail next morning.

Otherwise I prefer to take a break and check the text once more if there is time. The results are practically always better.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you have a project due in the afternoon of a certain date, do you usually deliver...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search