Poll: Do you enjoy your work as a translator/interpreter?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 14:52
SITE STAFF
Dec 28, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you enjoy your work as a translator/interpreter?".

This poll was originally submitted by Joanna Sobolewska-Kurpiel. View the poll results »

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 22:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, definitely! Dec 28, 2013

I wouldn't do it for so long (a few years part-time + over 30 years full-time), if I didn't enjoy it...

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 00:52
Turkish to English
+ ...
To an extent Dec 28, 2013

I find the actual process of translating to be akin to torture, but when I sit back and do the final review, if I feel that I have done a good job, I experience a glowing sense of satisfaction and achievement.

Danuta Loetz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:52
German to Polish
+ ...
separate! Dec 28, 2013

Translating good texts is about one of my favourite activities, so much that I don't consider it to be work at all.
In my early days I did also some interpreting lured by an employer, one of the major radio stations. They were so delighted that I was offered a job... as an apprentice anchor, but probably not because of my interpreting skills. icon_wink.gif
Well, I certainly didn't enjoy the stress and pressure of consecutive interpreting.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Absolutely Dec 28, 2013

If I didn't enjoy being a translator, I'd go find another job.icon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes it's a little stressful, but most of the time it's a genuine pleasure, especially when the projects are within my preferred fields.

I was once "recruited" as an interpreter (aside from helping out now and then during my employment as an in-house translator) at a convention of all non-German speakers. That day my respect for interpreters increased tremendously. It was fun, but it's not my cup of tea.icon_smile.gif

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Yes, definitely. Dec 28, 2013

I do not enjoy interruptions when translatiing.
Translating is definitely one of my favourite things.icon_smile.gif

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Dec 28, 2013

I have never had a more satisfying job.
And working via the Internet from home is also great!
- at least now at my age- might have been different 20 years ago.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:52
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Dec 28, 2013

Of course, I have met wonderful people from many countries, I have traveled and a wider culture now. Yes, translation is a wonderful profession. I hope automatic translation will never destroy our beloved profession.

Maria Johansson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
stimulating Dec 28, 2013

Translation work is fantastically stimulating, I would love to quit my other job and do only translation 100%, a dream I am hoping will come true next year.

[Edited at 2013-12-28 18:57 GMT]

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:52
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a must Dec 28, 2013

I also enjoy being a translator. My assigments must be enjoyable. Working with clients must be delightful. Recently, I have dropped off a couple of clients because work was stressful, not agreeable.

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
When it's good... Dec 28, 2013

"When it's good it's really good, and when it's bad, I go to pieces"

(David Bowie)

Steve K.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
I love it Dec 29, 2013

I'm curious to know about the .7% that said no, all 53.27 of themicon_smile.gif

I've been translating/interpreting full-time for the past seven years. I still like dusting off the chain saw and felling a tree or two (I used to work as a carpenter, I built from scratch), but I wouldn't change careers for anything.

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
"I put on women's clothing... Jan 2, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote: ... I still like dusting off the chain saw and felling a tree or two

..and hang around in bars!

Steve K. (who got a checked shirt for Christmas)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you enjoy your work as a translator/interpreter?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search