Poll: Which social media outlet has been most beneficial to your translation business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:24
SITE STAFF
Dec 29, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which social media outlet has been most beneficial to your translation business?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:24
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not beneficial Dec 29, 2013

I'm (sporadically) on XING and LinkedIn, but thus far neither has rendered any professional benefits. So 2014 won't find me there.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:24
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I don't use social media for my business Dec 29, 2013

It's for connecting with friends.

I use LinkedIn as my online profile that I refer people to when I get inquiries. And, more importantly, LinkedIn is not a "social media network." It's for business networking and meeting other professionals. I'd think twice or even longer if someone contacted me about business because they'd "seen my profile on Facebook."

"Outlet"? The only 'outlets' I know are the ones where I go shopping.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
100% with you there Dec 29, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

It's for connecting with friends.

I use LinkedIn as my online profile that I refer people to when I get inquiries. And, more importantly, LinkedIn is not a "social media network." It's for business networking and meeting other professionals. I'd think twice or even longer if someone contacted me about business because they'd "seen my profile on Facebook."

"Outlet"? The only 'outlets' I know are the ones where I go shopping.

appart from that, I do not even have accounts with anyone except LinkedIn which i use passively.

And a double for the outlet from me

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
LinkedIn and Twitter Dec 29, 2013

I've gained orders, leads and plenty of useful contacts and information from them.

Of course, you can't just sit back and wait for the jobs to roll in; you have to be a bit proactive.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:24
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
LinkedIn Dec 29, 2013

I use LinkedIn to stay connected with colleagues. I consider this a benefit. Once I posted a note asking about a very obscure reference, and a colleague found it for me within the hour. Some colleagues have given me written recommendations, which I also consider a benefit. I helped a LinkedIn colleague find a job, and I'm sure she would do the same for me.

Some colleagues have tried to hook up with me on Facebook, and I try to steer them to LinkedIn. I want to keep Facebook for close friends and family.

LinkedIn can be powerful. I've taken a couple of webinars on building my LinkedIn page, but I haven't gotten around to doing the work.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:24
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Exactly! Dec 29, 2013

Oliver Lawrence wrote:

Of course, you can't just sit back and wait for the jobs to roll in; you have to be a bit proactive.

Yes, completely agree with Oliver here.
How are you doing, Oliver? Long time no see! I hope you're doing well.

Yes, what you get out of all these sites depends entirely on your input. They do need maintenance, tweeking (read continual improvement) and updating. I think LinkedIn has served me well -- I now have a respectable online 'presence' where I can present myself in a favorable and professional manner.

And there is a SIG for introvert 'shy boys' such as myself, too.

Which reminds me that I have to post a few updates. Thanks for the nudge, Oliver.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
Hebrew to English
Key is in the word "social" Dec 29, 2013

...which is why for me social media is for my social life. (Facebook, Twitter)

I have LinkedIn (pretty neglected admittedly) and ProZ for business, neither of which I would consider a social network in the main sense of the phrase.

[Edited at 2013-12-29 11:07 GMT]

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Julian :) Dec 29, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

How are you doing, Oliver? Long time no see! I hope you're doing well.

Not bad, thanks, Julian, although a bit bunged up at the moment. Happy impending new year!

[Edited at 2013-12-29 13:01 GMT]

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:24
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
LinkedIn Dec 29, 2013

I don't generally rely on social media for my work, but I have made some connections via LinkedIn and found new clients or they have found me. Other social media, is just for socializing. I don't have Twitter, only Facebook.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
A combination... Dec 29, 2013

We have received a few projects through our facebook page, I think people like seeing that we have almost 200 fans. We don't receive as many inquiries through linkedin, but the forums and networking there has proved to be invaluable as well.

Benefits don't have to be monetary to be valuable ^_^ Even Pintrest has been beneficial.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:24
German to English
+ ...
Hard to tell Dec 29, 2013

While I cannot say that I have received any work as a direct result of the *professional, business* network LinkedIn, I do value the contact with fellow professionals.

The nebulous benefits to my business are derived from other people's ideas in translation-related group discussions, and keeping up with trends both in the translation field and in business generally.

On LinkedIn, I am still trying to figure out why people who have, say, read one blog of mine and liked it (but have not commented, so essentially have remained anonymous in that sphere), feel the need to send me a request to connect with me. My sense of ethics tells me that unless I have or have had some kind of business or professional relationship with you (either online or in real life), or intend to pursue one further, that I should keep you at arm's length. Having said that, if you are a ProZ member, and upon seeing your name I can recall your language pairs and at least one thing you have said on any forum discussion, then I am more likely to accept your request to be connected in this forum.

My Google+ is a like a public swimming pool: Mainly full of strangers. Some of those strangers have share-mania. This is annoying, because they do not necessarily add any value to the item they have so enthusiastically shared. I have had some beneficial business exchanges on a social level here, but nothing which has resulted in work either for me or the other party.

Facebook is for social interaction with friends, and relatives, and I am quite happy to keep it that way.

Apart from membership of ProZ, the most beneficial to my business has been my listing as an accredited translator on the website of the South African Translators' Institute (SATI/SAVI) of which I am a member.

Carlos A R de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:24
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How do you advertise yourselves? Dec 29, 2013

Hi, everyone.

As I see here, 50% of people who voted say social media has not been clearly beneficial, and 25% say they haven't been beneficial at all.

What do you consider effective for you to advertise yourselves?

Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:24
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Facebook Dec 30, 2013

Actually, I don't use social media for translation business, but some fellow translators some times contact me via facebook on translation jobs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which social media outlet has been most beneficial to your translation business?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search