Poll: Do you think the number of WWA entries you have can enhance your translation business prospects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 00:22
SITE STAFF
Dec 30, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think the number of WWA entries you have can enhance your translation business prospects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Naresh Advani. View the poll results »

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 08:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know! Maybe... Dec 30, 2013

I suppose that's the idea behind it, but no one has ever said that they were contacting me because of my WWA entries... In my book, repeat business is a better compliment than a WWA entry, though my ego seems to have an appetite for nice, laudatory comments!

Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:22
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
I guess they can Dec 30, 2013

Sometimes I outsource work and when I look for fellow translators on proz I do take WWAs into account (provided they strike me as a genuine feedback from reliable clients).

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I use them instead of references Dec 30, 2013

I used to hide the fact that I had no WWAs on my profile, but I changed my mind.

I have only once asked for a WWA - all the others have been given spontaneously.

On several occasions when prospective clients asked for references, I have told them I never ask other clients for references, but they can look at my WWAs. The clients have accepted them and sent me work, so yes, in that way WWAs have enhanced my prospects.

[Edited at 2013-12-30 15:34 GMT]

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:22
Member (2012)
English to Indonesian
Strange but... Dec 30, 2013

Strange but I received more offers when I had only one or two WWA entries. Possibly it doesn't mean that much for clients.

[Edited at 2013-12-30 11:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-30 11:56 GMT]

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:22
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I really hope not... Dec 30, 2013

I thought I had no WWAs and then I checked again. I found that the only one I have is from the monster customer I dumped this summer. (Remember the "Translator Nightmare" poll series?)
I hope you are reaading this -- I will never do business with the likes of you ever again! Do NOT come knocking on my door like you did a week ago offering me a "Long-term Bonded to Slavery Contract.' (ALL translation fees withheld if your work is judged to be less than 97.79% -- yes, 97.79% -- below your in-house translation quality index. 100% just doesn't seem good enough for people these days!)

With that off my chest, I feel much, much better. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, I can take a relaxing New Year (we don't celebrate Xmas in Japan). icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Have a nice evening, y'all.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Useful as references Dec 30, 2013

Christine Andersen wrote:

On several occasions when prospective clients asked for references, I have told them I never ask other clients for references, but they can look at my WWAs. The clients have accepted them and sent me work, so yes, in that way WWAs have enhanced my prospects.

Although I do have reference letters, I also ask potential clients to check out my WWA. This did get me some work.:)

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 30, 2013

I don't really know; perhaps it might. I think I have one WWA entry, but I don't think it's brought me any work. I rarely, if ever, get work through proz - I'm mainly here for the kudoz section and forums... and things like that.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Dec 30, 2013

I think the WWA function really helps to attract more potential clients to a translator's profile. Kudoz are another good tool too.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is a WWA entry again? Dec 30, 2013

Since I don't rely on Proz or its tools to get projects or clients, forgive my ignorance.

I suppose WWA stands for willing to work with again?

It's hilarious how certain sales types, software developers and assorted nerds think that quantifying everything an individual does will improve any chances of achieving anything.

In light of serious data gathering (for example, details on each interaction between translator and customer, and positive/negative results), those WWAs are meaningless.

But if Proz thinks that WWAs make it sound a serious website, well, let it go for it.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 01:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Use as references Dec 30, 2013

I never ask a client to make them but I have a few from people who have offered to make them. They come in handy when a potential client asks for references.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
References Dec 30, 2013

I really appreciate the WWAs that we've received. They're all from good clients and we enjoy working with each of them.

We use them as references as well, and the emotional boost from the positive feedback/vote of confidence is nice too.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZ ranking Dec 30, 2013

WWA entries are part of the formula that ranks us when prospective clients search the ProZ translator directory. Since it boosts our ranking in our language pair, it definitely enhances business prospects. I get a lot of Portuguese-English jobs from outsiders searching the directory for translators in that combination.

[Edited at 2013-12-30 20:47 GMT]

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
should I know what a WWA is? Dec 30, 2013

Whatever it is, I doubt it has had any effect on my business.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think the number of WWA entries you have can enhance your translation business prospects?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search