Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How quickly do you start working after you wake up?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 4, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How quickly do you start working after you wake up?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alexa Dubreuil. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Between 1 and 2 hours Jan 4, 2014

Unless you count checking e-mail. That's the first thing I do, in case a client has been trying to reach me. Then I do my exercises, mediate, take my dogs for a mile-long walk, fix breakfast, and take it back with me to my desk.

Nice question!

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:15
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, those dogs Jan 4, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Unless you count checking e-mail. That's the first thing I do, in case a client has been trying to reach me. Then I do my exercises, mediate, take my dogs for a mile-long walk, fix breakfast, and take it back with me to my desk.

Nice question!

Before I got my pups, I would just fix a coffee and get started.
Now I have a similar routine.
Dogs out, check e-mails, shower, breakfast, feed dogs, start work.
This takes about 2 hours.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Between 1 and 2 hours... Jan 4, 2014

dianaft wrote:

Nice question!

Similar routine in a different order: check e-mails, breakfast, shower, dog out, feed dog, start work.

[Edited at 2014-01-04 09:20 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Between 1 and 2 hours... Jan 4, 2014

dianaft wrote:

Nice question!

Similar routine in a diferente order: check e-mails, breakfast, shower, dog out, feed dog, start work.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:15
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Under 1 hour Jan 4, 2014

Preferably within 30 to 40 minutes

It takes a little while to remove the sleep from my eyes. A good cuppa tea -- every Brit wouldn't be without his or her morning cuppa -- and focusing my eyes on the mountains to the west while I'm hanging up the washing to dry generally gets me ready to take on another day.

Small addition

[Edited at 2014-01-05 03:13 GMT]

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:15
German to English
Depends Jan 4, 2014

Sometimes, I wake up, turn on the PC as I go past, make a coffee, sit down and start working.
Othertimes, I start after returning from the school run/dog walking.
so my answer is anytime between 6 and 9 am
If I haven't got much work on, I might take the morning off, which is nice

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
< 1 hour Jan 4, 2014

After all, first comes the shower, then the coffee and then I'm ready to work.

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
immediately Jan 4, 2014

I wrote "immediately" but on second thoughts it varies.

However, the very first thing I do is turn on the computer when I get out of bed. I also check for e-mails on my phone the minute I wake up while still in bed! If I have a lot on, I make an instant coffee, let the dog out to run around and do her "business" (I have a half acre) throw on some old (dog walking) clothes. I feed the dog and three cats and start work, and have breakfast later when I have enough work under my belt a
... See more
I wrote "immediately" but on second thoughts it varies.

However, the very first thing I do is turn on the computer when I get out of bed. I also check for e-mails on my phone the minute I wake up while still in bed! If I have a lot on, I make an instant coffee, let the dog out to run around and do her "business" (I have a half acre) throw on some old (dog walking) clothes. I feed the dog and three cats and start work, and have breakfast later when I have enough work under my belt and can take a break.

It depends on deadlines as to when the dog gets taken for her walk (which is going to take at least an hour) and it is usually later in the afternoon but sometimes I just throw a stick for her for five minutes to keep her happy! She's a Labrador so wants to go out in all weathers...

If I have nothing on, I take the dog for a long walk and have breakfast when I get back. Occasionally when out, I discover (via phone) that a job has come in so cut the walk short and head home...

[Edited at 2014-01-04 10:57 GMT]
Collapse

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 11:15
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
It varies Jan 4, 2014

The kids schedule controls mine. They're both under 9, so... the mom translators know what I mean
But ideally, it's 1-2 hours and I'm "in". However, I check my emails on my Android while my eyes are still closed.

[Edited at 2014-01-04 22:23 GMT]

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Work first, shower later! Jan 4, 2014

I find that as soon as I've breakfasted my brain is awake and efficient, so I tend to sit down to work in my pyjamas with my unfinished breakfast cup of tea and then work pretty steadily until my stomach starts rumbling, at which point I shower, get dressed and fix lunch.

(Well, you did ask...)

[Edited at 2014-01-04 13:34 GMT]

Luana B. S. Mandarà
Luana B. S. Mandarà  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
With kids... it varies Jan 4, 2014

Before I had my son, I turned my PC on as soon as I got out of bed and was sitting at it in 10 minutes, just the time to prepare a coffee.
Now it takes me 3 hours: prepare myself and the kid, bring him to kindergarten, do some shopping in the neighbourhood for the meals of the day and come home to start working.
But then, I go on until a least 2 in the night, or even later when I have tight deadlines.
Luana

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
1 - 2 hours Jan 4, 2014

And similar routines as most of you.
Isn't that nice we can relate so well as one global community of freelance translators?

Except, I have no dogs... hmm....have to think about that one.,

The thing about children I'm familiar with, but my daughter turns 21 in a couple weeks, so she is selfsufficient.

Happy New Year to everyone!
- and thanks for all the inspiration you all provided in 2013!

[Edited at 2014-01-04 16:33 GMT]

Augusta Habas
Augusta Habas
France
Italian to French
+ ...
It varies Jan 4, 2014

Noura Tawil wrote:

The kids schedule controls mine. They're both under 9, so... the translator moms know what I mean
But ideally, it's 1-2 hours and I'm "in". However, I check my emails on the Android while my eyes are still closed.

idem!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Less than an hour... Jan 4, 2014

My mornings usually start with Gaby waking me up to take the dog out. I make myself a cup of hot chocolate (we don't drink coffee) and then I stumble into my office. At that point, I try to say something witty here in the daily poll, but I usually end up doubting my ability to write in my target language and end up falling back to sleep on my couch (it's in my office, so it's still considered working... right?). Eventually I remember my hot chocolate and I'm ok after that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How quickly do you start working after you wake up?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »