Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How frequently do you update your CV?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:12
SITE STAFF
Jan 6, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How frequently do you update your CV?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariam Osmane. View the poll results »



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:12
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Jan 6, 2014

All of the above

I may add or delete items from my CV to suit the specific requirements of a new customer or client, or add sections if I have obtained a new accreditation or finished a particularly significant project that's worth adding to my portfolio to make me look even better.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
Hebrew to English
Not frequently enough Jan 6, 2014

It's on my list of things to do.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:12
Member (2006)
German to English
Almost never Jan 6, 2014

and why?

If new customers want my CV, I just have to change a few dates. I have been freelancing too long now for the companies in it to be a reference, and my education certificates are from ages ago.

My CV is just another piece of paper with writing on it.

When I was younger, I went to an interview and had to repeat everything what was on my CV because the HR manager said that almost all CV´s are lies and that people generally try to "pep" themselves up in it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:12
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Whenever needed Jan 6, 2014

When there is something worth updating (new experience, new credential, client needs different 'focus'...)

Direct link Reply with quote
 

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
English to Polish
Whenever needed Jan 6, 2014

Like Marjolein, I update it when there's something new worth adding.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Irregularly Jan 6, 2014

I have a couple of versions, and I always check them through before sending one or the other off to a client.

I rarely make adjustments these days - I used to, but with the slight variations in emphasis between the two versions, I don't adjust them much.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:12
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Hardly ever Jan 6, 2014

The 3 versions of my business brochure (one in each language) are hardly ever updated since they contain a basic overview of the most relevant projects, and not a detailed list of each and every project I've completed. I don't believe that outsourcers would be very delighted to read through a 10 or 11 page brochure (CV).

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
HR managers Jan 6, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

and why?

If new customers want my CV, I just have to change a few dates. I have been freelancing too long now for the companies in it to be a reference, and my education certificates are from ages ago.

My CV is just another piece of paper with writing on it.

When I was younger, I went to an interview and had to repeat everything what was on my CV because the HR manager said that almost all CV´s are lies and that people generally try to "pep" themselves up in it.


Wow, that HR manager is one difficult person to deal with, his/her head full of stereotypes.

Of course there are people hwo pad their CVs or pepper them with useless buzzwords (“Team player, successful salesman, etc.”). Don't let that stop you from making your CV a fine piece of writing.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Whenever it is necessary Jan 6, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

When there is something worth updating (new experience, new credential, client needs different 'focus'...)


Exactly the same for me.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here's a thought Jan 6, 2014

First, a CV or résume is not a brochure. They are two different pieces of writing with different aims.

Second, in today's business atmosphere where we see the buzzwords creativity, innovation and entrepreneur on an hourly basis, we are in a unique position to actually show some innovation in writing in a persuasive way.

Persuasive, you say? Well, that's one goal for everything I write, including translations, even the most technical translations.

Note to self: include persuasive writing as one of the goals in my translation courses.

In my case, I've turned the concept of CV on its head by making it infographic. Everything in it, a single page designed in InDesign, with Illustrator and a bit of Photoshop, is graphic, with pastel colors and some bold color details, nothing overwhelming.

I've been complimented by colleagues and prospective clients (some of whom became clients in the last 12 months) on the approach my CV takes.

And, yes, I have a conventional CV (all words, no pictures) that I keep updated on a yearly basis, more or less. I submit it every time a prospect requests it (after viewing my infographic CV, of course).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like it Jan 6, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

First, a CV or résume is not a brochure. They are two different pieces of writing with different aims.

Second, in today's business atmosphere where we see the buzzwords creativity, innovation and entrepreneur on an hourly basis, we are in a unique position to actually show some innovation in writing in a persuasive way.

Persuasive, you say? Well, that's one goal for everything I write, including translations, even the most technical translations.

Note to self: include persuasive writing as one of the goals in my translation courses.

In my case, I've turned the concept of CV on its head by making it infographic. Everything in it, a single page designed in InDesign, with Illustrator and a bit of Photoshop, is graphic, with pastel colors and some bold color details, nothing overwhelming.

I've been complimented by colleagues and prospective clients (some of whom became clients in the last 12 months) on the approach my CV takes.

And, yes, I have a conventional CV (all words, no pictures) that I keep updated on a yearly basis, more or less. I submit it every time a prospect requests it (after viewing my infographic CV, of course).



I really like the idea of an infograph, which we've been playing with too. I'm trying to figure out how I can use one of those whiteboard presentations.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 6, 2014

WYSIWYG...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
A couple links to get you started... Jan 6, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

First, a CV or résume is not a brochure. They are two different pieces of writing with different aims.

Second, in today's business atmosphere where we see the buzzwords creativity, innovation and entrepreneur on an hourly basis, we are in a unique position to actually show some innovation in writing in a persuasive way.

Persuasive, you say? Well, that's one goal for everything I write, including translations, even the most technical translations.

Note to self: include persuasive writing as one of the goals in my translation courses.

In my case, I've turned the concept of CV on its head by making it infographic. Everything in it, a single page designed in InDesign, with Illustrator and a bit of Photoshop, is graphic, with pastel colors and some bold color details, nothing overwhelming.

I've been complimented by colleagues and prospective clients (some of whom became clients in the last 12 months) on the approach my CV takes.

And, yes, I have a conventional CV (all words, no pictures) that I keep updated on a yearly basis, more or less. I submit it every time a prospect requests it (after viewing my infographic CV, of course).



I really like the idea of an infograph, which we've been playing with too. I'm trying to figure out how I can use one of those whiteboard presentations.


Triston, I used the following links as inspiration:

Vizualize: http://vizualize.me/ (you may use your LinkedIn profile for this one)
Some Pinterest infographic resumes: https://www.pinterest.com/rtkrum/infographic-visual-resumes/


Direct link Reply with quote
 

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 03:12
German to English
+ ...
CV? What cv? Jan 6, 2014

I can't update summat I haven't written yet, and it seems a bit of a waste of time at my age!

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How frequently do you update your CV?

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search