Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you share translation tips and advice with beginning translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 19:39
SITE STAFF
Feb 1, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you share translation tips and advice with beginning translators?".

This poll was originally submitted by Morano El-Kholy. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Feb 1, 2014

I would if I were asked and they were receptive. So 'other' I suppose.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:39
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other Feb 1, 2014

I don't go out of my way to share my 'wisdom' e.g. blogging etc.

But if I meet a newbie I gladly share my knowledge and experience.

I believe, if we view each other as colleaques (young or old) and not as competitors, we create a better working environment and we'll all win.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 03:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (not any more) Feb 1, 2014

I mentored some of our new colleagues during the last ten years that I worked in-house for the EU.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's a rolling debt Feb 1, 2014

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

I don't go out of my way to share my 'wisdom' e.g. blogging etc.

But if I meet a newbie I gladly share my knowledge and experience.

I believe, if we view each other as colleaques (young or old) and not as competitors, we create a better working environment and we'll all win.

Precisely.

So many people helped me when I started, and for various reasons I can never repay them. Knowing how much it meant to me, I am happy to pass on what I have received from others, and add my own contribution where I can.

The benefits go both ways - beginners still remember what they have learned in college, or elsewhere in life. They can help us in the older generation to understand things that did not exist or were very different when we were starting out!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Feb 1, 2014

Sharing tips is not only being done through my webinars here on ProZ, available both live and on-demand, but I am also available via my profile to answer any specific questions.

The "sometimes" refers to the times when I give the webinar (or when it's ordered on-demand). Basically I am willing do share my knowledge as often as the questions arrive.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 1, 2014

It would be churlish not to.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Feb 1, 2014

I taught translation technique at Georgetown University for 14 years, so I guess that counts as "sharing translation tips."

I, too, am very grateful for the senior translators who mentored me when I worked in-house. I haven't had much opportunity to keep the ball rolling, but I'm available and willing to spend time whenever a new translator approaches me.

Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:39
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
mutual benefits Feb 1, 2014

right, I don't think that we are helping potential competitors. Rather, we are sharing our knowledge and tips and advice with translators which one day can be thankful.
At the beginning of my career I received great assistance by senior translator, and now I always remember them for any collaboration and I am willing to give their contacts to customers.
I trust that the same will apply with newbie translators I am helping now. And someone is already doing this...

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
100% agree Feb 1, 2014

neilmac wrote:

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Feb 1, 2014

If I were asked to, why not?

Maxi Schwarz
Local time: 21:39
German to English
+ ...
Yes, for the sake of everyone Feb 1, 2014

If someone goes into the field without understanding or skills, then that person is the most likely to get exploited. They become fodder for the "cheaper and faster" agencies that are undermining our instrument and that's not good for anyone. They will believe what they are told, and reinforce the wrong relationship that makes these agencies employers without responsibilities. They also can't get out of it, even if they do figure it out. .... Or, they become the competitor who sells on the basis of ultra-cheap. A professional translation takes longer because we go through quality control steps.

Novices come in basically saying "I'm bilingual. Where do I get customers." They have to know what translation entails, and then make sure they can deliver. If you do have the skills so you can produce quality, then you can also make demands. If you have no skills, then you're a beggar on the street having to accept what you're given. Which then goes to point A.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nicely and briefly said Feb 1, 2014

neilmac wrote:

I love the word churlish, how it rolls off one's tongue.

Seriously, well said, neilmac. It's a way to pay it forward.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Potential competitors Feb 1, 2014

Vincenzo Di Maso wrote:

right, I don't think that we are helping potential competitors. Rather, we are sharing our knowledge and tips and advice with translators which one day can be thankful.
At the beginning of my career I received great assistance by senior translator, and now I always remember them for any collaboration and I am willing to give their contacts to customers.
I trust that the same will apply with newbie translators I am helping now. And someone is already doing this...

Vincenzo, well put. What you said reminds me of the prevailing climate in Córdoba (my hometown), Argentina in the 1980s.

Seasoned translators wouldn't tell translation students about their jobs or guide them in any way, even if asked. I know because I asked.

One of my English language professors had been a translator for a military airbase in Córdoba, but only mentioned it once in passing during the almost 3 years I took classes with her.

Another one, who founded a language school and was instrumental in creating the first association of translators, was reluctant to talk about the future for aspiring translators (like myself).

I had to move to New York City to find a different environment, a more welcoming one for new translators.

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Member (Apr 2018)
French to English
churlishness! Feb 1, 2014

Totally with neilmac on that.

In-house, I used to train newbies who would then man the fort while the employees went gallivanting off on holiday.

I often try to help out answering newbie questions in the fora here.

And when a young student I met through another channel told me she wanted to translate a particular book I put her in touch with the publisher and recommended her warmly.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you share translation tips and advice with beginning translators?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search