Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: After how many years do you typically purchase a new computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This time I upgraded to SSD Feb 3, 2014

Instead of buying a new laptop I exchanged only the hard drive with a SSD and added another 4 GB Ram. Otherwise all my laptops since 2002 are still in use somewhere, and I have always a second, older machine waiting for emergency use, that has not yet come. I stick to Windows 7 for the time being, perhaps eventually I will upgrade to 9 when I buy my next machine.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Upgrades Feb 3, 2014

I'm about to upgrade my video card for my desktop, since I work on a lot of video games

I am going to buy a new laptop for my wife though.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Bite the apple? Feb 3, 2014

I'm now in a painful dilemma: to Apple or not to Apple. Travel a lot so I need a super lightweight yet sturdy laptop. My 17" ASUS weighs 10 pounds, definitely not to lug around in a backpack. Its separate carrying case is too cumbersome, and it's already destroyed one backpack because of its weight (after I carried it around for 1.5 months all over Indonesia).

The MacBook still seems to be the best deal in terms of weight/computing power/price, although the refurbished one that I w
... See more
I'm now in a painful dilemma: to Apple or not to Apple. Travel a lot so I need a super lightweight yet sturdy laptop. My 17" ASUS weighs 10 pounds, definitely not to lug around in a backpack. Its separate carrying case is too cumbersome, and it's already destroyed one backpack because of its weight (after I carried it around for 1.5 months all over Indonesia).

The MacBook still seems to be the best deal in terms of weight/computing power/price, although the refurbished one that I want will cost just a little south of US$3000 (1 TB solid-state drive - no moving parts so less heat!). The problem is that I've heard horror stories about the much ballyhooed retina display, especially when coupled with a Windows OS installed through Boot Camp (or VMWare). But why, will you ask, buy an expensive Apple product and then use Windows on it? That's a long story...

This looks promising but it's ASUS again...

http://www.amazon.com/N550JV-DB71-i7-4700HQ-2-4GHz-FullHD-Laptop/dp/B00FJDE0HC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_8

[Edited at 2014-02-04 08:26 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
It depends Feb 3, 2014

I'm not in the habit of doing what everyone else does, but when everyone I work and communicate with moves on to a new version of Windows, it is best for me to do the same because it makes the work flow a lot smoother. That is a good time for me to get a new computer.

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 12:40
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
10.5 years!!! Feb 4, 2014

I don't think anybody waited for that long...

I purchased my very first laptop in the middle of 2003, one year before I completed my BA. I didn't have any computers before that one. It was a Fujitsu Siemens amilo D 7820, before Fujitsu and Siemens separated. It was a nice looking blue laptop, my favorite color (google it). Being good with fixing laptops (and later smartphones), I fixed/upgraded/replaced parts whenever needed. I replaced the screen, keyboard, rams, had a broken USB f
... See more
I don't think anybody waited for that long...

I purchased my very first laptop in the middle of 2003, one year before I completed my BA. I didn't have any computers before that one. It was a Fujitsu Siemens amilo D 7820, before Fujitsu and Siemens separated. It was a nice looking blue laptop, my favorite color (google it). Being good with fixing laptops (and later smartphones), I fixed/upgraded/replaced parts whenever needed. I replaced the screen, keyboard, rams, had a broken USB fixed and few months ago replaced the hard disk (even though it was running fine but just in case). I don't know why it lasted that long but I guess keeping it fixed in one place, blowing the dust away from the inside regularly, and keeping it cool with a cooler fan most of the time must have contributed to that.

I was working on Windows XP and and MS Office 2003 all that time. On January 2014, I finally purchased a new laptop, Asus N550JV, with Windows 8 and MS office 2013. It has a touch screen. My older laptop is still working btw and is in a very good cosmetic condition. I don't like the idea of throwing it in the garbage so I'll have it sold or donated.

I decided that from now on, I'll purchase laptops much more frequently...
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:40
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Every 3-4 yrs Feb 4, 2014

Mike Hunter wrote:

I find it scary that some people let their only computer die before buying a new one, (...) You risk losing all your TMs and previous work for clients, as well as the project(s) you are working on at the time.

Most people back up their data elsewhere, so it shouldn't be catastrophic.

Now I think everyone should have two computers running at the same time.

I always keep my old machine as a back-up. That's not quite the same as running two at the same time, but nearly.

I spent almost 3 days last week setting up a new laptop (SSD, Win 8.1, touchscreen - all sorts of exciting new stuff). One day was lost to video card / Win 8.1 issues actually. The other 2 to sorting out licenses and downloading and installing updated versions of programs. I'll be blogging about the experience - it's something most of us dread doing and I hope it may be useful to others.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: After how many years do you typically purchase a new computer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »