Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you want to work as an in-house translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In-house Feb 5, 2014

I already am an in-house translator of sorts. Isn't that where stay-at-home translators work?

JanaB
JanaB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:33
English to German
In-house Feb 5, 2014

writeaway wrote:

I already am an in-house translator of sorts. Isn't that where stay-at-home translators work?

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Options Feb 5, 2014

What's the difference between these options:
- No, definitely not
- No, not really

I think, they fragment the vote.

Ashish Kumar Jaiswal
Ashish Kumar Jaiswal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:03
Member (2013)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Both has their own merits and demerits Feb 5, 2014

Have done a stint with a leading e-learning company. Freelancer as of now.

Both have their own merits and demerits.

In full time employment, sometime your employer may or may not have work to keep you busy every minute, yet you shall be paid a fixed amount.

As in full time employment, you have a lot of colleagues to talk and discuss about various things and social issues. More over you are some sort of more disciplined, you know you have to reach the office
... See more
Have done a stint with a leading e-learning company. Freelancer as of now.

Both have their own merits and demerits.

In full time employment, sometime your employer may or may not have work to keep you busy every minute, yet you shall be paid a fixed amount.

As in full time employment, you have a lot of colleagues to talk and discuss about various things and social issues. More over you are some sort of more disciplined, you know you have to reach the office at a certain time, and you make schedule accordingly.

Whereas in freelance, you can arrange your time according to your choice.

But sometime it might become a bit monotonous, as not a lot of people to discuss and talk. Moreover schedules might not remain as disciplined as earlier.

And of-course if you have certain work on regular basis, often freelance is better than full time employment.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Transitioning back? Feb 5, 2014

I'm actually looking to rent out an office for our mini-agency. I guess I'm trying to go back to in-house work.

L. Clark Gillette
L. Clark Gillette  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
What Muriel wrote applies to me as well. Feb 5, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I spent half my career as an in-house translator. I loved the work and having colleagues around to talk with, but at this stage in my life I'm loving the flexibility of a freelance life even more.

I imagine many of us have had similar experiences.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Done both Feb 5, 2014

Right now, I prefer freelancing, but I spent most of my longish life working for other people. After a stint as an enlisted soldier in the early '60s, I never had a bad boss -- just some better than others. I have to say, though, that it was during my years as an in-house translator that I really learned the craft of translation. The standards were high, and I got daily feedback from my immediate supervisor, a translator with many years of experience. I doubt that I would ever have learned as mu... See more
Right now, I prefer freelancing, but I spent most of my longish life working for other people. After a stint as an enlisted soldier in the early '60s, I never had a bad boss -- just some better than others. I have to say, though, that it was during my years as an in-house translator that I really learned the craft of translation. The standards were high, and I got daily feedback from my immediate supervisor, a translator with many years of experience. I doubt that I would ever have learned as much if I had begun my career as a freelancer.Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:33
French to English
with James Feb 6, 2014

James McVay wrote:

it was during my years as an in-house translator that I really learned the craft of translation. The standards were high, and I got daily feedback from my immediate supervisor, a translator with many years of experience. I doubt that I would ever have learned as much if I had begun my career as a freelancer.

And I much prefer to have company. My colleague from the agency I first started working in is sitting opposite me right now, since we share an office with a couple of software developers. We rarely speak but we know we can sound the other out or have a sympathetic ear when needing to let off steam and we catch up with everything at lunch. We don't even see each other socially all that much but love working together!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you want to work as an in-house translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »