Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: My favorite piece of information in the subject line of an email from a regular client is:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:33
SITE STAFF
Feb 7, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My favorite piece of information in the subject line of an email from a regular client is:".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariam Osmane. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:33
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Feb 7, 2014

Favourite piece of information inan e-mail??

Lost there, sorry

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er... my what now? Feb 7, 2014

I don't really understand this poll either. Most of my email headers say something like"Docs to translate" or similar and I rarely/never give it any thought, much less grade them in terms of preference. I have bigger fish to fry (yes, today I'm translating an acuaculture text)...

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:33
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Feb 7, 2014

I'm kind of lost here, too.
I suppose something like 'Availability Inquiry' or 'Job Inquiry' would grab my attention.
'We would like to send buckets of easy well-paying work your way' also would be music to my ears. I might even go out and buy a bottle of champers to celebrate before even reading the e-mail. Hic!

I think I might just do that since I have a 2-month industrial automation project starting as soon as I get back from my Hokkaido ski trip and another 3-month long automotive manual project starting mid-May. Spondoolicks, ahoy!

Edited small type. Too much champers...

[Edited at 2014-02-07 09:26 GMT]

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
area Feb 7, 2014

I quite like emails which say something like 'medical document' or 'equipment manual'. No very strong preferences - I do have my least preferred subject lines though (mostly used by one particular client) which reads URGENT!!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!! or SUPER URGENT!!!! AVAILABILITY?!!

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wordcount Feb 7, 2014

Most emails just say "Can you do this for Tuesday?" and then expect you to open the attached file, or maybe even log into the client's site to download a file, and work out for yourself how much there is. When you're busy, a wordcount in the email is very welcome as it saves precious time.

Gilla Evans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most of the suggested answers don't usually appear in the subject line Feb 7, 2014

It's not so much what's in the subject line, which in many cases is just a job number, but being addressed by name either by a regular or new client seems to push the right buttons for me.

I am put off by group emailings or those that just say Hello [blank] because although they've sought out my email address they can't be bothered to address me directly. This leads me to think they are probably not looking for my particular skills or subject areas. I often scent a scam, but sometimes the culprits are legitimate clients. Still annoys me.

Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Just got a new job enquiry Feb 7, 2014

It starts:

"Hi, translator"

I'm put off already!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 7, 2014

My favorite piece of information in the subject line of an email from a regular client is: MORE WORK!

B. D. Laux  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Order number / PO number Feb 7, 2014

Order number / PO number - it's very convenient when I write the invoice later

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Feb 7, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

It starts:

"Hi, translator"

I'm put off already!

I would be too. Those "Hi" emails from unknown persons or entities go directly to the wastebasket.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Two, equally Feb 7, 2014

Specialty field AND service requested

If the specialty field is e.g. "human resources" or "management training & development", most likely I'm in. If it's e.g. "medicine", I stop reading right there.

If the service requested (other than translation, of couse) includes "video" or "DTP", I can outsource the translation part - if I don't cover that subject area - to a specialized colleague. On the other hand, if it mentions "MUST use Trados" or "PEMT", I stop reading right there.

The above are primary screening factors; the others are secondary... at least on Proz jobs. Most job notifications from TD use a boilerplate subject "we'll pay EUR 5 cents per word", and get deleted unread.

Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Ditto, too Feb 7, 2014

John Cutler wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

It starts:

"Hi, translator"

I'm put off already!

I would be too. Those "Hi" emails from unknown persons or entities go directly to the wastebasket.

@John
Unfortunately, this was from one of my existing customers -- so I am quite pee'd off as well as put off.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Considering the email etiquette these days... Feb 7, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

It starts:

"Hi, translator"

I'm put off already!

So, I'm not alone in feeling surprise at this poll. Trust me, a better question would be What's the most off-putting piece of information you can find in the subject line of an email from a regular client?

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Others, because... Feb 7, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

It starts:

"Hi, translator"

I'm put off already!

So, I'm not alone in feeling surprise at this poll. Trust me, a better question would be What's the most off-putting piece of information you can find in the subject line of an email from a regular client?

I couldn't agree more.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My favorite piece of information in the subject line of an email from a regular client is:

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search