Poll: Yearly average: How much of your normal translation-related (only) production capacity is used?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:12
SITE STAFF
Feb 8, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Yearly average: How much of your normal translation-related (only) production capacity is used?".

This poll was originally submitted by José Henrique Lamensdorf. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 11:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
61/% - 80% Feb 8, 2014

I have a very stable client base built over 30 years. I'm proud to say that some of my original clients have stayed with me all these years. On a yearly average, I’m probably around the 61%-80% mark, with several overloaded months (like the current one) here and there…

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Over 100% Feb 8, 2014

Last year I didn't have a break all year long. I did have about a week off in January this year, but neither of my main clients had their 2014 contracts ready until the third week of the year. Once the contracts were issued, the work started pouring in.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:12
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
61/% - 80% Feb 8, 2014

I have a pretty stable client base. Most of my clients have been with me for a long time.
And then there are new clients, who eventually become long-term customers. Or who provide me with "a ton" of work. Like right now, I'm only taking a short break after having worked non-stop for a week now. Literally. But I love it.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:12
English to French
230/250 working days in a year Feb 8, 2014

...make about 500 kwords in a normal, stress-free year at my pace. Over the past years, I've been doing about 400k. So overall, I think I am busy about 80% of my working time, with ups and downs.
If I worked at my 2003 rate, I'd be flooded with work, so price very much determines where you want to be burden-wise, as well as how much you value your work.

Philippe

Cristiana Sima  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:12
English to Romanian
+ ...
40-60% Feb 8, 2014

Excellent question, congratulations to Jose Henrique!

I voted to 40-60% in light of the last 2 months, when my schedule was full. But full for me means 4-5 hours per day, because of my toddlers.

Overall, I think that was the percentage. I can do more, but not right now.

* missed 1 word

[Edited at 2014-02-08 17:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Yearly average: How much of your normal translation-related (only) production capacity is used?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search