Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What do you use to plan big translation projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 17:09
SITE STAFF
Feb 25, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you use to plan big translation projects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sandrine Zérouali. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Feb 25, 2014

Nothing, really

Generally, my customers do all that troublesome project management stuff - which takes a big burden off me.
They present me with a delivery schedule and we both work to see if it is viable. If it isn't, we both adjust it as we go along and pass through the various stages of the project. This worked just fine in my last 4-month automobile repair manual project.

Otherwise, I'll just make an enlarged copy of a calendar, write in lines and arrows leading up to significant milestones and mark off each day with a 2B pencil. Simple, isn't it! icon_smile.gif

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
German to English
+ ...
Nothing Feb 25, 2014

Maybe I've never had a project big enough to require planning, but I've never seen the need for a planning tool. Having said that, projects can, to a certain extent, be managed in Trados anyway, so it's easy to track progress and see what still needs to be done, etc.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:09
Member (2006)
German to English
Nothing Feb 25, 2014

all a case of time management. I do jot down deadlines if I have a lot going on, but otherwise I keep a pretty much good overview of what I am doing

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Nothing Feb 25, 2014

I've just completed a big project without planning anything. I figured out roughly how long it would take me, the deadline was 2 weeks, and set out to work. I mean, the time I might have spent planning this project would definately be put to a better use starting to translate right away.icon_wink.gif

Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
In fact Feb 25, 2014

Hello everybody,

In fact, my question was changed a little bit by Proz. They added "big" whereas I wanted to know "How do you manage your projects day-to-to not to forget any job to deliver; where you put the client name, the type of project (translation, editing), volume, deadline?" For example, I use a diary (paper way) in which I put all my projects. I have a friend that writes her weekly programm on sheets of paper, some people use also a software like TO 3000. And you?

Sandrine

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
same here Feb 25, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

all a case of time management. I do jot down deadlines if I have a lot going on, but otherwise I keep a pretty much good overview of what I am doing

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Member (Apr 2018)
French to English
Excel file! Feb 25, 2014

I keep an Excel table for each week where I jot down the job number, number of words or whatever info I might need for billing, the name of the person/company I must deliver to, and some other info to remind myself of what it's about (e.g. press release new collection), all in chronological order according to deadline.

It starts out as a "to-do" list and then turns into a record of what was done. It gives me a good idea of the work in hand and I plan accordingly.

When I receive a mail with a job, I open it and keep it open until it has been logged into thisExcel file (while I'm still negotiating for example).

For big projects, I simply work out the number of words I have to do each day (leaving time to tie up odds and ends of course) and stick to it no matter what, trying to keep a little bit ahead of schedule just in case something crops up.

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pen and paper Feb 25, 2014

Pen and paper for me, in a little notebook.

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Diary Feb 25, 2014

The projects I work on tend to be long term ones which take several months to complete, so I don't have lots of smaller jobs to keep track of. However, I do have an old-fashioned diary on my desk which I use to organise myself. I use it to keep a note of how many words I plan to translate each week, and how many I have actually done so that I can keep the customer informed of my progress, as well as any scheduled phone 'meetings' with the customer or anything else I need to remember.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Spreadsheet Feb 25, 2014

Re the original question:
We enter the basic info for all jobs in a simple homemade Excel spreadsheet which works out the cost of each job and adds it all up each month/year. This has worked for us completely unmodified since 1995!

Re the modified question:
We don't do translation projects that are too big for our brains alone to handle

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
All info is stored in an Excel file Feb 25, 2014

Client name, PO number, deadline, invoice number, due date, etc, etc. Colour coding helps me a lot as well!

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
In this case... Feb 25, 2014

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:

Hello everybody,

In fact, my question was changed a little bit by Proz. They added "big" whereas I wanted to know "How do you manage your projects day-to-to not to forget any job to deliver; where you put the client name, the type of project (translation, editing), volume, deadline?" For example, I use a diary (paper way) in which I put all my projects. I have a friend that writes her weekly programm on sheets of paper, some people use also a software like TO 3000. And you?

Sandrine

I do a folder in my desktop with client name and deadline, when completed I move it in "document" in a folder named with the month, I divide projects month by month

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
In both cases, pen or pencil and paper Feb 25, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Pen and paper for me, in a little notebook.

I keep track of incoming jobs and deadlines etc. on an A4 sheet which I normally keep under the keyboard - to slip out instantly when a mail arrives or the phone rings.

In my case 'big' translation projects often mean big files, whhich do not necessarily contain many thousands of words.

I only have a single screen on my PC and often print the source, and but I use my laptop as an extra screen if the source text is a PDF with graphics that eat up too much ink paper or don't print well for other reasons.

To keep consistency long-term - whether it is in one big job or a series over time for the same client, I enter all sorts of notes and 'terminology' in tables in Word (I hate Excel!!) or as glossaries in Multiterm, if there are not too many notes.

But while I am working or making preliminary plans, I write everything down on paper. Then if I want to keep it, I edit it into searchable electronic form afterwards.

I also add entries to Multiterm 'on the fly' if they come up frequently in the text or can save me some typing!

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2014

[Edited at 2014-02-25 10:18 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you use to plan big translation projects?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search