Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you consider 2014 a tough or an easy business year so far?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 14:53
SITE STAFF
Mar 14, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you consider 2014 a tough or an easy business year so far?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:53
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
just started... Mar 14, 2014

I have had one tough month (hardly any work coming in) and one easy month (just the right amount of work) so I voted 'neither' but the year has only just started...

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Both... Mar 14, 2014

It's been easy in that the work has been flooding in, and tough because all that work has then needed doing!

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 00:53
Turkish to English
+ ...
Tough Mar 14, 2014

I was really optimistic at the beginning of this year, given that most economists were forecasting a global upturn. However, I see that so far this year I have had about half of the turnover I had in the corresponding period last year, so my optimism is waning. I see that I have only had seven hours' work so far this month - despite being available full time - and the month is nearly half over! At least it can hardly get much worse.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:53
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
neither Mar 14, 2014

the year really only started, but february was very slow. January average, march so far has been quite busy. Hopefully, the rest of the year will be like March has been so far.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Mar 14, 2014

Really busy, but only because I take on the work though. Fortunately there is a steady workflow in my field

I have to share my daily dosis of Dilbert with you today, especially the comment from one the readers

www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2014-03-14

"A colleague of mine in tech support always tells me that he types his explanations in mails extra slowly so that the sales people are able to understand"

[Edited at 2014-03-14 12:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-03-14 21:18 GMT]

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 14, 2014

Last year I unexpectedly had to pay about 4K in back taxes and fines because I didn't keep track of enough invoice receipts to justify money I'd claimed back on VAT over the preceding 3 years, so I'm starting off this year trying to make up for this sizable hole in my resources.
However, apart from this, workwise "business" is about the same as most other years and if all the clients who owed me money were to stump up today, I'd be a happy chappy once again.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 22:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
So far so good! Mar 14, 2014

January and February were excellent months and March is doing quite well... But we all know that the translation world is completely unpredictable, full of ups and downs!

Patricia Prevost  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
A bit tough Mar 14, 2014

After a promising and busy January, February was quite slow and March is not doing that well so far, although I might get confirmation for a couple of large translations next week.

JanaB  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Not too bad so far Mar 14, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

I have to share my daily dosis of Dilbert with you today, especially the comment from one the readers

www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2014-03-14

"A colleague of mine in tech support always tells me that he types his explanations in mails extra slowly so that the sales people are able to understand"

[Edited at 2014-03-14 10:25 GMT]

LOL

[Bearbeitet am 2014-03-14 12:18 GMT]

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:53
German to English
+ ...
Ever hopeful Mar 14, 2014

Neither. Both.
February was a very slow month, which will make living in April more than frugal.

It is definitely a year to be generally more communicative - with a view to getting a couple more regular clients, and getting the work I most like to do. I can see a positive change in that regard already.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Both or neither Mar 14, 2014

January was a little slow in regards to translations, but there was the presentation of my webinar, so all was good financially.

February was extremely busy on the translation front, while March has been somewhat slow in regards to translation assignments. However, on the writing fron things have picked up tremendously. If this year continuous like this, I'd be one happy translator/writer.

Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Good start Mar 14, 2014

Steady work so far.

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
The last 4 months Mar 14, 2014

have been very good for me.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
A bit tough Part Deux Mar 14, 2014

Patricia Prevost wrote:

After a promising and busy January, February was quite slow and March is not doing that well so far, although I might get confirmation for a couple of large translations next week.

Same here. Actually, January started very promising for me with a steady income thanks to a lucrative contract...but the contract ended in mid February. So, back to brass tacks and smaller projects for a while.

Fortunately, an IRB (a committee here in USA that handles clinical trials) has kept me more or less busy and the relationship is flourishing. Then I might have a 1-week onsite software testing assignment in late April.

I love doing contracts, but I'm mulling over a phone conversation for a 9-month contract that I had yesterday because the end client expects the candidate to be already in Houston, Texas (I'm in Ohio). I keep wondering why did the headhunter contact me in the first place. Oh, well.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you consider 2014 a tough or an easy business year so far?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search