Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: I learned my acquired language(s) primarily through...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 18, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I learned my acquired language(s) primarily through...".

View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:28
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Formal and informal studies Mar 18, 2014

Formal -- 4 years at the School of Oriental & African Stuidies, London University
Informal -- 35 or so years over here in Japan

Would love to go back to SOAS and teach a J>E technical translation undergraduate course while earning an M.A.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:28
English to Italian
other Mar 18, 2014

formal study at first, then self-study, then I moved to England....

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A combination Mar 18, 2014

Mainly through self-study, formal education and nearly 20 years as an in-house translator. So the actual answer would be, a combination.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:28
Turkish to English
+ ...
self study + immersion Mar 18, 2014

I have acquired fluency in six foreign languages in my life, in some cases through formal study, and in others through self study or lengthy residence in a country where the language is spoken.

I am entirely self-taught in my main source language of Turkish, and I lived in Turkey for 12 years. When I later returned to my own country of the UK, I was able to pass the IoL Diploma in Translation from Turkish to English, so I must have succeeded.

peter jackson
peter jackson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English

I have a degree in Hispanic Studies and have been living in Spain for 29 years and have been married to my Spanish wife for 23 years. So, yes, a combination of formal studies and immersion, like so many translators and teachers.

I lived in Italy for three years back in the 80's and was fairly fluent by the time I left but I think having no formal studies means I would find it difficult to slip back into the language.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Robert Ludlum Mar 18, 2014

I originally picked up most of my Swedish/Norwegian/Danish by reading translations of American thrillers

This was followed by formal study and immersion

But the thrillers were the best bit

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER

Formal study, travels and in regard to Spanish the members of my family Spanish mother tongue.

Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:28
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
Immersion & self-study Mar 18, 2014

I picked up Dutch (I was born and lived in the Netherlands up to the age of 11) and Indonesian (have been living in Indonesia for 27 years) by way of immersion, and English through self-study (mainly through reading).

[Edited at 2014-03-18 09:21 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Different languages, different methods Mar 18, 2014

I learned the languages I don't use professionally through formal study, reading and listening to radio and TV when I could access programmes. (Largely before the days of the Internet and satellites...) I have never spent any length of time in France of Germany. I suppose I do make use of my Latin in the background.

I spent a total of seven months, spaced over a year, on an intensive language course in Danish, whi
... See more
I learned the languages I don't use professionally through formal study, reading and listening to radio and TV when I could access programmes. (Largely before the days of the Internet and satellites...) I have never spent any length of time in France of Germany. I suppose I do make use of my Latin in the background.

I spent a total of seven months, spaced over a year, on an intensive language course in Danish, which was to become my language of habitual usage. (When I started, I could barely put a sentence together.)

Otherwise it was immersion, self study, and taking night classes, basically an office training followed by business French and German at university level, for ordinary native speakers of Danish.

I have never really acquired my other two working languages! (Norwegian and Swedish)
I don't speak them and have never studied them formally, but study is a way of life, and you don't always need teachers or exams.

[Edited at 2014-03-18 13:05 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Immersion Mar 18, 2014

I studied German, French and Russian formally and have a degree in the latter. However, my working language nowadays is Castilian Spanish, which I acquired after relocating here in the 80s. Prior to this, I had little formal training in Spanish, only a "half-class" at beginner level which I took as a "filler" class in my final year at uni.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Roald Dahl Mar 18, 2014

Chris S wrote:

I originally picked up most of my Swedish/Norwegian/Danish by reading translations of American thrillers

This was followed by formal study and immersion

But the thrillers were the best bit

Very similar here - picked up English mainly from Roald Dahl, then moved on to other books, then school chipped in and then I moved to the UK.

For Portuguese I picked up the basics through a course before really learning the language by way of immersion. And books. Of course.

Davide Grillo
Davide Grillo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Other Mar 18, 2014

16 years of formal study and self-study and travels and experience...
With the actual Educational system (in Italy, don't know elsewhere) it is hard to gain all the necessary resources only through formal study, I'm afraid...

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 20:28
Japanese to English
A mix Mar 18, 2014

A combination of self-study, formal study (3 years at college) and an immersion lifestyle. I'm pretty good at self-study, but I haven't had the motivation since. If I did I'd probably know about 3 more languages by now.

kittilina
kittilina  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
One answer is not enough! Mar 18, 2014

A complete mix. Firstly through immersion, combined with self-study, then formal studies and then more ongoing self-study. It's not simple to answer this with just one option!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I learned my acquired language(s) primarily through...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »