Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: At what age do you plan to retire from work as a full-time freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:29
SITE STAFF
Mar 20, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "At what age do you plan to retire from work as a full-time freelance translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by cmgrimm. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Best laid Mar 20, 2014

Having no pension entitlements to speak of AFAIK, I hope to be able to keep working for as long as my faculties permit, though perhaps slowing down a bit eventually. This month's been comparatively quiet, which is nice.

dasein_wm  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
When I win the lottery Mar 20, 2014

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Not yet, if ever Mar 20, 2014

At 82, it's too early to be thinking about retirement.

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Never Mar 20, 2014

Until my brain will allow me to work

Texte Style
French to English
Never Mar 20, 2014

Old translators never die, they just keep going!

I recently translated a book on how to keep your brain alert.

My parents used to do the crossword and sudoku. But quite frankly, if you can be paid to have fun exercising your brain, why should you have to resort to other techniques? It would be tantamount to driving to the gym to run on the treadmill.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 06:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't plan on retiring! Mar 20, 2014

My long-term retirement plan is that I don't plan to retire, assuming health and physical condition cooperate, and my plan hasn't changed so far.
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/239254-poll:_at_what_age_do_you_plan_on_retiring-page2.html
I'm afraid three months is too short a time to have any relevance on this...

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:29
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
As far as Mar 20, 2014

I still have my whatsit together and am enjoying it.

But (pssst) between you and me, I might slow down to a complete halt if I were to win the pools or lottery -- too old and sluggish to be a bank robber. Would get caught right away during the getaway!

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhere around 70 Mar 20, 2014

Since retirement doesn't imply that the bills stop coming, I'm not sure I'll ever stop working.

Since I'm saving for retirement (although probably too little), I'm sort of thinking that by about 70 I'll be able to work just part-time, which will give me time for hobbies and, hopefully, spoiling the grandkids. (Fingers crossed)

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Mar 20, 2014

As soon as I can afford it

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
What if you're not as lucky as Jack? Mar 20, 2014

Most people will not be able to work effectively at Jack's age.

Some of them won't be working at all, because they'll be dead - in that case, funding their retirement is not an issue.

A lot of people will still be alive, but will suffer from arthritis, a bad back, severe illnesses, diminished mental powers, dementia, extreme crotchetiness, etc. - they should be funding their retirement so that the rest of us won't have to.

I would actually like to retire early, because my wife and I earn reasonably good money and live fairly simply and because not having to work seems like the only thing in life really worth working for.

I probably won't quit translating (although I might), but it would be great to quit running a business.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 08:29
Turkish to English
+ ...
As soon as I can ... Mar 20, 2014

... which with rates and demand in a seemingly endless downward spiral and the cost of living ever rising, probably means never. However, I can't help feeling that better days are coming, so perhaps one day I will be able to afford this luxury.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
On paper, 67 Mar 20, 2014

The question is when you plan to retire from work as a full time freelance translator, and I might start taking things a little easier when I am 65. I am in the lucky position that I can draw a full pension after I am 67, but may carry on for a while after that. The pension is not princely by local standards, although after the equivalent of six weeks or so each year, tax and deductions from my pension will effectively be something like 70% of my earnings!!! So much for the official policy of encouraging people to work as long as they can.

One thing is when you want to retire, another is when you can afford it, and a very different issue is whether you can or not.

I hope I can keep on working for a couple of non-profit organisations for a long time.

Old translators don't die, they move into the Tower of Babel...

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
65 is the legal age Mar 20, 2014

in my country, and I will certainly také it!

Josef Šoltes  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2013)
English to Czech
Never Mar 20, 2014

Until arthritis in my hands gets to stage of complete disability and alzheimer in my brain fryes it to mush.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At what age do you plan to retire from work as a full-time freelance translator?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search