Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever abandoned a project after you accepted it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:42
SITE STAFF
Mar 26, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever abandoned a project after you accepted it?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilakahuja. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Mar 26, 2014

At least, not that I recall. I have a vague feeling that I must have had to abandon a "project" at some point, but I can't for the life of me think when. So if it did ever happen, it can't have been serious...

I'm not sure if this counts: one time, a client asked me to do an "urgent" translation over the weekend so I agreed and refused a couple of offers from other clients... and in the end I sat and waited for it and it didn't appear and the client didn't even email me to say it had been cancelled/postponed. When they blithely turned up about a month later with the same job, I told them where to stick their custom (explaining why) and haven't worked for them since. As far as I'm concerned, it's their loss.

[Edited at 2014-03-26 08:18 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 02:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, never! Mar 26, 2014

Though in one case I should have abandoned the project when later on I discovered the "quality" of some parts of the text...

(same answer as last year: http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/256267-poll:_have_you_ever_abandoned_a_project_after_you_accepted_it.html)

Tunde Sele  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No Mar 26, 2014

I probably wouldn't even dare, as it ruins reputation. Before accepting a project, a professional translator verifies the text, its difficulty and length. Once I accept a job, I am dedicated to it, no matter what. If something personal comes in, than I don't sleep at nights but I will still finish job!

Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:42
Member (2013)
Finnish to English
+ ...
Once or twice Mar 26, 2014

When I have realized that the client is actually a potential scammer or non-payer.

Does it count if a client sends you a file, stating a deadline that is well past by the time you wake up and read the email, and doesn't even ask whether you can do it but assumes so? That has happened a couple of times... (without prior agreement that I would automatically accept projects while I'm sleeping).

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Absolutely not Mar 26, 2014

I would never take on a project that I did not think I was capable of finishing.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:42
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Mar 26, 2014

Til death us do part, I'm afraid.

Unless the customer has i) deliberately misled me about job requirements, ii) held back vital or other pertinent information about the project before the actual order or iii) continuously tacks on this 'n that after issuing a PO which forces me to go back to square one and renegotiate (but bill for work done).

There are, of course, extraordinary circumstances such as sudden illness, accidents and other Acts of God beyond anyone's control.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
A couple of times Mar 26, 2014

I've had to abandon projects a couple of times as a result of ill health. I've also 'handed back' sections of projects which are far too technical and which I hadn't picked up on my initial appraisal of the document.

I have found that, far from it being damaging to my reputation, customers respect honesty and would rather have a job given back to them than one completed with less than optimum results.

Gretel Schoukens  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
twice Mar 26, 2014

... because of really personal circumstances: once the dead of my father-in-law, where I had to arrange a lot of things, and once because I was unexpected 3 days with my daughter in the hospital - without computer, internet, empty phone... But if you have a good and even personal relationship with your agencies, if you always deliver perfect and on-time work, they know you do this only in circumstances beyond one’s control and accept it.

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Mar 26, 2014

Although I was tempted on a couple of occasions! I agree that if at all possible, it would be bad practice not to finish a project once it has been accepted, but extraordinary circumstances can occur, both at the client's side and at the translator's side. Most of us will have been called in at some point to help a client fix an unforeseen situation, so a good client will appreciate the reverse can happen too.

neilmac wrote:

I'm not sure if this counts: one time, a client asked me to do an "urgent" translation over the weekend so I agreed and refused a couple of offers from other clients... and in the end I sat and waited for it and it didn't appear and the client didn't even email me to say it had been cancelled/postponed. When they blithely turned up about a month later with the same job, I told them where to stick their custom (explaining why) and haven't worked for them since. As far as I'm concerned, it's their loss.

[Edited at 2014-03-26 08:18 GMT]

I know just what you mean! I wonder if it was the same company...

Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Once or twice Mar 26, 2014

I have had to do this once or twice - once I had to only submit half a job and ask the client to place the rest elsewhere as I became too ill to work in the middle of a job. I've also had to say I couldn't do a job after all once or twice after agreeing to it, but only in the case of proofreading jobs that were meant to come in at a certain time and were delayed to a point that I physically couldn't fit them in.

Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Only once Mar 26, 2014

Because I incurred water damage in my office and my hardware and Internet connection don't like water !!!

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
French to English
Yes Mar 26, 2014

When my son was seriously ill last year, I had to be at his hospital bedside, so I had to abandon a piece of work I was doing. There was no other option.

Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
once or twice Mar 26, 2014

It happened with a long term client, professor and dean at a local university, for whom I used to translate very difficult texts, books. He used to pay a low rate, but I valued the volume. But after a while he started to count the pages in an more unfair manner, and while working at the most difficult book I realized I am not going to get almost nothing for that work. So tried to have a discussion first nicely with that client, explaining why he should consider to pay a different rate for that book. But he said for him was the same work (even if in reality he paid less than when I started to work for him, about 3 years before the event), and that if I do not want to continue, I may stop. So, maybe it was his choice. Just to mention that in the manner he counted the pages, 2 and a half, or 3 pages he counted as one....Not to mention again the lowest rate. In that manner working seven days a week 10, 11 hours a day, I less that the wage of a maid. Thank you very much

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Mar 26, 2014

Fortunately, I was never in a situation that forced me to abandon a project. Even when my hard drive crashed, I just continued on my laptop via USB.

If the question had been, have you ever felt like abandoning a project? the answer would have been, once or twice.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever abandoned a project after you accepted it?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search