Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Does your approach to the text and attention to details change based on the fee you are being paid?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 04:04
SITE STAFF
Apr 7, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does your approach to the text and attention to details change based on the fee you are being paid?".

This poll was originally submitted by texjax DDS PhD. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Gilla Evans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Apr 7, 2014

The fee only affects whether or not I accept the job, not the quality of my approach to it.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:04
Member (2008)
English to Italian
I voted other because... Apr 7, 2014

I accept a job and its fee, so my approach does not depend on the fee.
Said that, here is what happened once: at the beginning of my career I found a new client, and I started working at a certain fee. After about 1 year, I received a phone call from this client, and after a long discussion, it came out that my usual fee was going to be reduced (details are too long to be explained here). Anyway I accepted, I was at the beginning and I wanted to keep the client. Well I realized that the time spent on the translations was too much in respect to the money earned, so I decided to "cut my service" and I started delivering translations without even reading it before delivery. I was pretty sure that someone was going to complain for a sudden change in quality, and it happened. I went to the client office and explained the reason. The person in charge to coordinate translations was on my side, unfortunately her boss was not, and I decided not to work with that client anymore.

Lesson learned anyway, you take the full package, and once you do, you give 100%.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 7, 2014

If you offered me twice my usual rate to "pay more attention to details" (???), then I suppose I might. But it never happens.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:04
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Not at all Apr 7, 2014

Because it would be just too much hard work to 'dumb down' the translation.
However, if a customer offered me double my regular rate, that would definitely get my attention.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
A big fat no Apr 7, 2014

I'm a professional

And all my customers pay through the nose anyway

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
No Apr 7, 2014

Over time I have gradually developed my own ways of working and I follow them whatever the job. Regardless of how much a customer has paid, once I have released the translation into the ether it becomes evidence of my abilities and professionalism as a translator. Just as I would not like to be seen in public in my old pyjamas and fluffy bed socks, I would not like to think there was a poor quality translation out there with my name on it!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Couldn't say it better! Apr 7, 2014

Gilla Evans wrote:

The fee only affects whether or not I accept the job, not the quality of my approach to it.

Texte Style
French to English
depends on the type of job Apr 7, 2014

I would say that it depends on the type of job rather than on the rate, but that the rate usually reflects the type of job. For example, I have a stiff fee for jobs requiring extensive research and endless polishing, with the clients coming back with questions as to why I used a particular term and explaining why they prefer another, and a lower rate for mundane stuff. After all, the announcement that the CEO is due to retire and will be replaced by the current Sales Director will not need the same care as a presentation on new fashion trends.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly Apr 7, 2014

Gilla Evans wrote:

And once I accept the job (and, note, I can accept for reasons other than fee), it means I chose to pay all my attention to it.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Just what Iwas going to say Apr 7, 2014

Gilla Evans wrote:

Sometimes the deadline inevitably affects the amount of time I spend proofreading, but I always try to work on the 'get it right first time' principle, especially if the results are going into my TM! I do make an effort to keep my TMs correct and up to date, as I need to be able to rely on them later. But getting it right first time is actually the quickest approach too.

Another reason is to save hassle.
As TS Eliot put it:
"The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the right deed for the wrong reason."

The lowest-paying clients can be the least understanding and most troublesome if they do raise an issue - I have to be sure I can dismiss any complaints...

But of course, I deliver my best translation every time to keep my best clients coming back happily too!

raptisi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:04
English to Greek
+ ...
EXACTLY RIGHT! Apr 7, 2014

Gilla Evans wrote:

Nothing more to be said on this (and it applies to any kind of professional activity, I think)!

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 14:04
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not at all Apr 7, 2014

I only do good quality work.

macimovic
Netherlands
English to Serbian
+ ...
Right there Apr 7, 2014

Gilla Evans wrote:

Exactly my thought!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Of course not Apr 7, 2014

The fee might be only one reason for accepting a project.

However, once I have accepted a project, it will receive the treatment as any other text, regardless of the rate I will be paid. Accepted is accepted. Period.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your approach to the text and attention to details change based on the fee you are being paid?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search