Poll: I see other translators in my language pair(s) as...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 20:18
SITE STAFF
Apr 8, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I see other translators in my language pair(s) as...".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

dianaft  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:18
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Market is big enough... Apr 8, 2014

I guess, if a translator tried to poach existing good clients, I would feel competitive. Other than that - I can't exactly scale up and I only have my own schedule to fill. I have no ambitions to start an agency. I can't serve the entire market, I just want my little slice of it. There is enough work to go around and much more to be gained from collaboration than competition.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 8, 2014

I don't really think much about stuff like this.

Georgia Morgan  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:18
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Couldn't agree more Apr 8, 2014

dianaft wrote:

I guess, if a translator tried to poach existing good clients, I would feel competitive. Other than that - I can't exactly scale up and I only have my own schedule to fill. I have no ambitions to start an agency. I can't serve the entire market, I just want my little slice of it. There is enough work to go around and much more to be gained from collaboration than competition.

My feelings exactly - but then I am the most "uncompetitive" (polite), "unambitious" (neutral), person you're likely to meet! I renew my subscription to ProZ more because I like the feeling of being part of a community of fellow-translators than for any tangible benefits, I think.

Texte Style
French to English
What an uncompetitive lot we are! Apr 8, 2014

Georgia Morgan wrote:

dianaft wrote:

My feelings exactly - but then I am the most "uncompetitive" (polite), "unambitious" (neutral), person you're likely to meet! I renew my subscription to ProZ more because I like the feeling of being part of a community of fellow-translators than for any tangible benefits, I think.

I'll be competing for the honour of that title

Unless we're actually both doing a test for the same market, quite honestly I prefer to cooperate with other translators, provided they're on the same wavelength as me. Being nice to other translators has led to being recommended by them when they can't fit something in.

I must admit to sometimes having been a shade sarcastic when proofing lamentable work, but then, the "translator" who produced same wouldn't fit into the "same wavelength" category. And mostly the client gets my point of view

dasein_wm  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
My answer exactly Apr 8, 2014

John Cutler wrote:

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Other Apr 8, 2014

Fellow sufferers

Alberto Montpellier  Identity Verified
Cuba
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...

I see 'em as both... Apr 8, 2014

More as colleagues than competitors. I've gotten a lot of help from fellow translators at Proz and I'm glad there are so many colleagues around who are good at what they do, even if it implies competition. I've been contacted by fellow translators whom I barely know and they've given me some work, so competition is not all that bad. I makes you keep improving, there's no excellence without pressure.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 8, 2014

Good can only come from having a cooperative attitude toward your colleagues.

I have always been helping and sharing with translators in my pair. I have been amply rewarded with new jobs and clients through their recommendations. I have also returned the favor.

If you see them as competitors, and act accordingly, I think you will be left behind in this growing market.

Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:18
English to Indonesian
+ ...
This a good question Apr 8, 2014

I consider them colleagues. Sometimes some of them help me by giving me some jobs. Interacting with them is a happy experience.

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Other Apr 8, 2014

John Cutler wrote:

I've got nothing to add to this.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Colleagues Apr 8, 2014

Usually. Circumstances alter cases, but in general I prefer not to compete, even to the extent of rarely, if ever, bidding for jobs.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Honestly... Apr 8, 2014

You folk are the best friends I have, haha.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:18
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Brothers Apr 8, 2014

As brothers and sisters in art, because translation is an art.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I see other translators in my language pair(s) as...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search