https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/268723-poll_how_often_do_you_check_your_email.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you check your email?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 5, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you check your email?".

This poll was originally submitted by Andrea Strada. View the poll results »

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:44
English to Russian
+ ...
it depends May 5, 2014

It depends on where I am. When I am at my desk, it is always opened and I see immediately if a new email arrives. But when I am out, I check it only in a free wi-fi zone, if any.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:44
Member (2006)
German to English
Other May 5, 2014

Whenever I get the notification in a small window, and if it is "worth looking at", then I look at it, otherwise I just leave it running in the background

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
At least every hour May 5, 2014

At least every hour because I’m either at my desk and check out of habit, or if I‘m out and about my mobile notifies me when I have a new message.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - it shows up automatically May 5, 2014

Like Michael, I glance at the source and subject in the window that pops up, and if I'm not interested I let it ride until later.

That said, I'm trying to discipline myself to look at it less often, so lately I've been closing the program for a couple of hours at a stretch, especially in the evening.

Of course, I always start the next day by checking everything that has come in.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I voted other ... May 5, 2014

Because I don't 'check' my e-mail as such, it comes to me. If I'm at my desk, I'm permanently connected so the e-mail pings into the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. If I'm out and about, the phone chirrups to herald the arrival of new messages. So no need to check at all.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Every two hours, when I am not too busy. May 5, 2014

Twice a day when I am very busy, or out--you cannot be a slave to your mail after all. What else could you do, if you were checking mail every five minutes?

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Every 5 minutes May 5, 2014

because it is always open in my browser.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other May 5, 2014

It depends, If I am not too busy I check it every 5 minutes.
But I read only the important messages.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Exactly May 5, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

Whenever I get the notification in a small window, and if it is "worth looking at", then I look at it, otherwise I just leave it running in the background

Same here, I use an email notifier, when I am not at my desk I have my smartphone.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Precisely May 5, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

If it is from a client or otherwise important, I check it straight away.

If it is not urgent, I carry on working and check it out at the next coffee break.

My computer is set to collect mails every 15 minutes.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Email alert May 5, 2014

Same here - my email program is always active (usually minimized) and set up to put out a sound alert when a new email hits my inbox. In addition, a small window showing the sender and subject pops up (and then disappears after a few seconds), so I can check at a glance to see if it's from an existing or potential client. If not, then I can safely ignore it until I have more time to deal with it, usually at the end of the day.

Nicola Wood
Nicola Wood  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
German to English
Ditto May 5, 2014

Just like most people here my e-mail is constantly running, either on my computer when working or my phone when not, except on Sundays and holidays when both are off unless I decide to check, or the outlook app decides to ignore my quiet time settings

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 5, 2014

I have several e-mail accounts. Like many people, when I first opened an e-mail account, it was with Hotmail and I used my full name. I soon realised this was not a good idea and my initial account soon filled up with spam. To minimise this and avoid mixing more business-related mails with e-mails sent by friends with jokes, fun and nonsense, I started to use dedicated e-mail accounts for different purposes. For example, when visiting websites you are often invited to register, or obliged to do... See more
I have several e-mail accounts. Like many people, when I first opened an e-mail account, it was with Hotmail and I used my full name. I soon realised this was not a good idea and my initial account soon filled up with spam. To minimise this and avoid mixing more business-related mails with e-mails sent by friends with jokes, fun and nonsense, I started to use dedicated e-mail accounts for different purposes. For example, when visiting websites you are often invited to register, or obliged to do so before being able to view the page, giving an e-mail address. Assuming that this e-mail address would later be used to bombard me with spam, I tended to use certain accounts for this purpose and for little else.

I have one dedicated e-mail account for proz correspondence, but I rarely look at it, in fact I had better do so today, because it's been a couple of weeks since I last checked it. I have another account which I use for software registrations and similar transactions. I also have another one which is my “main” business-related account... and so on and so on. Assuming that the poll query refers to my work-related e-mail account, I check it several times a day, probably at least once an hour, although I don't really keep tabs on that kind of detail.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:44
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Same here. May 5, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you check your email?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »