Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you name well-known end customers you've indirectly worked for in your profile, CV, etc.?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 20:37
SITE STAFF
Jun 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you name well-known end customers you've indirectly worked for in your profile, CV, etc.?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:37
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Jun 24, 2014

I am a legal translator and many of the texts I deal with are highly confidential. As such, my policy is never to reveal anything about my work to third parties, including who I work for.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Jun 24, 2014

for similar confidentiality reasons as Tim.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 05:37
German to English
+ ...
what profile? Jun 24, 2014

and what cv? I did one cv for an "eu massive amount of work, we need your cv top prove we can do the job" sort of thing and decided it was an utter waste of time. All my customers have come to me through word of mouth.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 04:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jun 24, 2014

They are not my customers; they are somebody else's customers! Like Tim and Diane my policy, for ethical and confidentiality reasons, is not to name them on any circumstance.

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Jun 24, 2014

Some clients ask for end clients to be kept confidential; some don't, but I would undoubtedly start getting confused if I started putting these on my CV or profile. I prefer treating everything I do as confidential.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends Jun 24, 2014

My main clients are international organizations, and sometimes they send me documents from other international organizations. There's no confidentiality about the provenance of the documents.

I have worked as staff and on-site for several international organizations. I mention them in my c.v.; I don't see a big difference between doing their translations on site and at home.

[Edited at 2014-06-25 04:42 GMT]

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
I list no clients of any kind Jun 24, 2014

I consider it a breach of professional ethics (and usually also a breach of contract) to identify agencies' end clients.

As for my direct clients: my client list is one of my business's most valuable assets. I built it up over the course of a decade and certainly don't plan to reveal it, in whole or in part.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Jun 24, 2014

But it depends.

I wait for at least 2 or 3 years for the documents I translate to lose currency and immediate relevance before I use them as part of my online portfolio or CV. If I need to drop names to prove that I can handle certain technology to get new projects, I'll just say "a major Japanese automobile or machine tool manufacturer" or something along those lines. How else can I prove to potential customers that I am capable?

I really don't see how an NDA can restrict me from disclosing the fact that I did an important project for a particular top-name client 5 years ago when the translation has already been disclosed and available for everyone to see in the public domain for a long time, and has lost all relevance.

Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No. Jun 24, 2014

David Wright wrote:

I did one cv for an "eu massive amount of work, we need your cv top prove we can do the job" sort of thing and decided it was an utter waste of time.

They also ask for references from my clients, in their specific forms, with the instruction that my clients must fill in what type of work I did, how many words, etc.
Isn't this confidential?

This reminds me of past cases discussed on various translators' sites when some Asian agencies asked for references and this type of information, and then sent their own offers to those clients - with extremely low rates.
I don't want to disclose this kind of information.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Jun 24, 2014

what for?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
No Jun 24, 2014

Confidentiality.

Furthermore, I see no reason to blab about who you work for. I've seen some poor quality work done for some big name companies. Size is no guarantee of quality!

Finally, it still amazes me to see how many clients fiddle about with the final result beofre it "goes public". When the non-native secretary has had the bright idea to make alterations before publication, sprinkling my work with serious grammar mistakes, false friends and mistranslations, the last thing I want is to have my name attached to it is any public way.

Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
No, for the same reasons as everybody else Jun 24, 2014

It is nobody's business but mine and my respective clients what I have done for each client. I list in the most generic terms on my website what I have done over the years, but providing names of end clients or even of translation agencies is a no-go area for me, as is outlined in my own non-disclosure principle. And, as David says, what CV? Granted, I am looking for employment, so I keep my CV up to date, but that CV shows little about my translation activities, which I plan to continue on the side. If people want to learn more about my translation activities, my website and the various profiles I maintain are the prime sources of information, not my CV.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I don't but I don't see why not Jun 24, 2014

Interesting response!

How is it a breach of professional ethics?

Why would you want to keep your own client list secret?

Some agencies get arsey about these things and insist on confidentiality, but why?

The Danes are particularly manic about this. Can't even tell people I work for their agency, let alone their clients.

So for many years I've worked indirectly for the best brewery in the world... probably

I just don't get this need for secrecy.

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Not manic, it's the law here (Denmark) Jun 24, 2014

Chris S wrote:

The Danes are particularly manic about this. Can't even tell people I work for their agency, let alone their clients.

I just don't get this need for secrecy.

In Denmark, if you are a state-authorised translator and interpreter, or an agency trading as such, you are bound to observe absolute secrecy about your work, on a par with doctors and lawyers. This makes it quite simple: you could lose your license to practice if you mention your clients and the specific work you have done for them.

In my business info, I choose to mention the type of work I have done in more general terms, without mentioning clients or client types. The only acceptable excpeption I can think of is material that appears in print with my name on as translator.

One great benefit is that we have a very good argument for not bothering with NDAs, as our legislation prevents us from 'spilling the beans' on clients.

However, even if I could, I wouldn't dream of listing my clients, especially not in any online forum. It's a jungle out there - why would I reveal to other translators where I earn my money?

[Edited at 2014-06-24 11:52 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you name well-known end customers you've indirectly worked for in your profile, CV, etc.?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search