Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many computers do you own that are ready to be used for translation assignments?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 25, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many computers do you own that are ready to be used for translation assignments?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:46
Member (2006)
German to English
5 Jun 25, 2014

One main computer with 3 monitors, one main laptop 17", one backup laptop 18" and 2 customer specific laptops 17" due to setup and inter-company connection reasons.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 22:46
Turkish to English
+ ...
2 Jun 25, 2014

I've got an old one in a cupboard somewhere that I could use if my main one crashes until I get a new one.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:46
Portuguese to English
+ ...
2 Jun 25, 2014

My PC and laptop. But we have 4 more PCs in the house - what can I say, my boyfriend is a geek

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
3, but that is cheating a bit Jun 25, 2014

Normally two, one desktop, one laptop.

As XP was phased out, I have had my laptop completely updated - my husband knows the details, but we both had the same model and they were too good to scrap.

The elderly desktop is still usable as far as Trados is concerned, and I still use it for large printing jobs, as the printer is too old to link up to the household's new system. There are quite a lot of odds and ends that I have not actually given up on, but don't use either.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No option for 4? Jun 25, 2014

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
3 (2 PCs + 1 laptop) Jun 25, 2014

in working order and ready to go... + 2 old PCs and 1 laptop in the basement collecting dust!

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
1 PC + 1 notebook Jun 25, 2014

just in case...

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
3 Jun 25, 2014

2 desktop PCs + 1 laptop. One of the PCs I seldom use, its keyboard is a little inconvenient and I keep putting off finding another one to replace it. My girlfriend uses it sometimes.
I've seen this question before in Proz

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 25, 2014

I have a total of four computers that are "good to go" - 2 PCs and 2 laptops.

One of the laptops has everything installed in Spanish - Dragon NS, Wordfast, Windows OS... because I bought it mainly so that my colleague didn't have to bring her computer with all the way from the city and to avoid any compatibility problems (she's a Mac user), as well as to have one for backup in case anything happens to the other one.

One of the PCs has been having problems connecting to
... See more
I have a total of four computers that are "good to go" - 2 PCs and 2 laptops.

One of the laptops has everything installed in Spanish - Dragon NS, Wordfast, Windows OS... because I bought it mainly so that my colleague didn't have to bring her computer with all the way from the city and to avoid any compatibility problems (she's a Mac user), as well as to have one for backup in case anything happens to the other one.

One of the PCs has been having problems connecting to Internet since I had it upgraded to Windows 2010 a month or two ago. I think it's a problem that needs to be looked at in situ, so I hope to get that done over the summer if my tech guy is available.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
2 Jun 25, 2014

1 PC and a laptop. There is a slight chance that, if need be, I could also use my old desktop again. But I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
German to English
+ ...
2 - not assignments Jun 25, 2014

I respond to translation requests. As a freelancer, nobody assigns me work. I have my main computer (PC), and there is a laptop available for emergencies.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 Jun 25, 2014

My dog Caralato doesn't use a computer, so I just have 2: the PC and the laptop. No more needed.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
2+ Jun 25, 2014

I have my desktop and my laptop. I'm pretty handy with these things, so if anything breaks, I'm able to fix it myself. I do have a couple of tablets that I translate on, so I guess that would make four.

Now, if my internet goes out...

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
3 Jun 25, 2014

but I just happened to buy a new laptop today.

I always used to work with one stationary and one laptop (+an iPad for the road),
but yesterday I had big computer problems, because my stationary PC, which is only 3 months old (Windows8) crashed, and here is the reason:

I was happily working away when a window popped up prompting me to update to 8.1 (for free), I clicked ok, it started to download (this took about 1½ hours), but after that I could not restart my c
... See more
but I just happened to buy a new laptop today.

I always used to work with one stationary and one laptop (+an iPad for the road),
but yesterday I had big computer problems, because my stationary PC, which is only 3 months old (Windows8) crashed, and here is the reason:

I was happily working away when a window popped up prompting me to update to 8.1 (for free), I clicked ok, it started to download (this took about 1½ hours), but after that I could not restart my computer again.

I called Microsoft, who told me to contact the manufacturer (PB).
I called Packard Bell, who told me that lots of people have had that problem, because their machines are only made for Windows8 and don't support 8.1. - I would have to reinstall it to factory settings.

Only, it refused to do that.

So now I had to give it to the repair shop.

Has anyone else experienced this? And/or do you have a solutions?

PS: On top of that, the old laptop had its own problem, so I decided I need one more backup.

[Edited at 2014-06-25 17:56 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many computers do you own that are ready to be used for translation assignments?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »