Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a website to showcase your language services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:15
SITE STAFF
Jul 27, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a website to showcase your language services?".

This poll was originally submitted by ArtefactHT. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 27, 2014

www.murieltranslations.com

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 10:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jul 27, 2014

www.bpt.com.pt

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:15
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Jul 27, 2014

http://www.asterix.co.jp

I hover between being both a corporate entity and an independent professional translator - the perfect setup for bringing out the Jekyll and Hyde in me.

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:15
French to German
+ ...
No Jul 27, 2014

And I don't plan to have one.
I've been doing well enough without one for nearly 7 years now so I just don't see the need to have one.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jul 27, 2014

http://www.lamensdorf.com.br

... and it has been a major source of new clients.

It began as a compilation of all information/explanations/answers I had to give translation prospects over and over again.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:15
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Good idea Jul 27, 2014

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

It began as a compilation of all information/explanations/answers I had to give translation prospects over and over again.

Yes, this is a wise approach.

Preempting and presenting the answers to possible questions in a clear and easily accessible format saves both the potential customer's and your time and prevents a long, spread out string of unnecessary correspondence.
This is how I organized my CV, too, with a 'little bit' (ahem) of self-promotion thrown in for good measure.

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
No. I use my ProZ profile as a website. Jul 27, 2014

And like José I provide information to prospective clients about the differences between editing and proofreading, the various types or levels of editing, and my approach to translating.

[Edited at 2014-07-27 13:13 GMT]

ArtefactHT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:15
English to French
+ ...
Thank you! Jul 27, 2014

I'm the one who suggested this poll, and I'm happy to see all your answers

I have a website as well, www.artefactcom.com. I still have work to do in terms of SEO, but I got tons of visits already and people have told me over and over how useful they found it to be to learn more about my services and fields of expertise.

Hélène (ArtefactHT)

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
No, but I am itchcing to get one up and running Jul 27, 2014

I did have one, but I decided to ditch my host and was stuck with just a URL, which I have transferred to ProZ hosting but so far have not been able to use as I am just not very technical and completely un-creative when it comes to web design.

In my view, and in Denmark at least, it is essential to have a website as a virtual business card, and the Proz profile just isn't where I want to send potential end clients. Agencies, fine, they don't seem to bother to read it anyway (considering the amount of questions they always ask when approaching me - most of which are clearly answered on my Proz profile).

But when it comes to end clients, I want to appear as professional as I feel, and Proz does not give me that image, sadly. Or maybe I am just not good enough at utilising the promotion facility that is available here.

I am about to have the graphic designer who did my printed business cards and my letterhead etc. do a simple, but professional-looking website, no fuss, no nonsense, just the way we like things in Scandinavia. Hopefully, it will be up and running soon...

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but.. Jul 27, 2014

Due to technical (website/server) problems it's not ready yet. What a waste.

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 27, 2014

www.jwstrans.net

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
But of course! Jul 27, 2014

Just the other day, a private client found me through my website, www.dianacoada.com , and mentioned how difficult it was for her to find an interpreter. Well, now I'll be interpreting at her wedding! I do not understand how relying solely on a profile in a directory can ever be enough for a professional. Just my 2c

[Edited at 2014-07-27 15:53 GMT]

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Jul 27, 2014

I made one myself on vistaprint a couple of years ago and it only costs me about 20 dollars a month to run it.

However, it does not look as professional as I would like it to. So in light of the fact that I had quite a few visitors - more than 5,000 in 2 years - I decided to get a professional company to (help me) make a new website.

And here is where you should be careful: They charge quite a bit of money, but they don't seem to get what I want. In fact, I regret I did not shop around more before I chose this particular outfit (a team of newly-educated young people).

My advice to you: If you get 'professionals' with 'professional charges' to make you a website make sure they are individuals that understand what you want.

This second website is not yet published, we are still working on it.

[Edited at 2014-07-27 16:31 GMT]

Zuzana Novotná  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes Jul 27, 2014

www.zuzana-novotna.cz
I´m happy to have my husband look after the technical stuff of the website so I can just add/edit the content. Although ProZ has proven to be a better tool for finding new clients, I believe that a personal website is a must for every freelance translator - a kind of detailed virtual business card.

[Edited at 2014-07-27 16:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a website to showcase your language services?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search