Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever volunteered your services as a mentor?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 11:47
SITE STAFF
Aug 12, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever volunteered your services as a mentor?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 19:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2014

I mentored several colleagues in the past, but I did not volunteer, I worked in-house and I was “invited”…

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:47
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Aug 12, 2014

But, like Teresa, I should have answered 'other' since I was politely asked by a graduate of Japanese from SOAS, my old college in London University. And, it was quite sweet being treated with respect like a Kung Fu master by someone 35 years or so my junior.

She is still here in Kyoto and shares a love for the city as strong as mine. I sometimes have to pinch myself to see if all that is around me is real and not a dream.

Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:47
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not directly Aug 12, 2014

I am in several forums and translation groups and I try to help others as much as I can. Sometimes I spend more time with "newbies" if they need it. But people also help me when I have a question, so I wouldn't consider it mentoring.

Texte Style
Local time: 20:47
French to English
Yes Aug 12, 2014

And when you see the person you mentor blossoming and flourishing and sticking up for quality it is the most satisfactory of situations.
I am forever indebted towards those who gave me a helping hand when I was starting out and so I think it's the least I can do to similarly help newcomers.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2014

Not really. I suppose I have "mentored" other translators occasionally, by giving them pointers, or helping them out with translation, revision, terminology.... etc. Or passing on texts for translation... But nothing formal.

[Edited at 2014-08-12 09:12 GMT]

Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes Aug 12, 2014

During my 6 years assignment with the UN as a translator and medical doctor for UNV (United Nations Volunteer) abroad I also helped as a mentor for my fellow junior translators.

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
French to English
Yes Aug 12, 2014

I am a mentor for volunteer proofreaders at Distributed Proofreaders, preparing texts for Project Gutenberg.

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Forced into the situation Aug 12, 2014

When working in-house I was in charge of checking and helping a fresh graduate. Ended up being a rather tricky situation; I checked her work objectively and pointed out only clear areas for improvement, but she thought she didn't need the help. I wouldn't want to be put in that situation again!

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
No directly Aug 12, 2014

I never volunteered, but I did encourage and then mentored a friend, who is now also a translator.

María González, M.A. ForLang
Spain
English to Spanish
I love it Aug 12, 2014

I occasionally mentor undergraduates or recent graduates who want to learn the ropes by giving them insider tips, advice and encouragement. I don't focus that much on how beautifully they translate or not, but on the specifics of building a translation career/business instead. Some orientation may save them a lot of trial and error on basic everyday stuff -- dealing with prospective employers or clients, goal-setting and so on.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2014

I taught translation at Georgetown University for 14 years - and the pay I received barely paid for my transportation to and from the campus.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No thank you Aug 12, 2014

I try not to give people advice, solicited or otherwise

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Article I wrote in ATA Chronicle Aug 12, 2014

Wow. This post reminded me of an article I wrote that was published in the ATA Chronicle in 1994 about the creation of an ATA Mentor program.

I no longer have the issue, but it's listed in the 1994 index at the bottom under NEWCOMERS' COLUMN:
https://www.atanet.org/chronicle/index1994.htm

Perhaps a collector has a copy...

Off topic: I also wrote another article that was published around the same time frame about this marvelous new invention - a CD containing multiple foreign language dictionaries. Ha!

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Aug 12, 2014

But I'd love to have a mentee

Sounds like one of those virtual pets from Japan you have to look after

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever volunteered your services as a mentor?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search