Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever receive job requests with very flexible deadlines?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 19:00
SITE STAFF
Aug 19, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever receive job requests with very flexible deadlines?".

View the poll results »

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 19, 2014

In theory, "as soon as possible" is a very flexible deadline

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes, often, Aug 19, 2014

because I'm working with direct clients a lot more than with agencies. icon_smile.gif

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rarely Aug 19, 2014

Most of my jobs come with non-negotiable deadlines. On rare occasions I've been able to ask for more time. But I doubt I've ever been told there was no hurry whatsoever.

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lucky lady Aug 19, 2014

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

because I'm working with direct clients a lot more than with agencies. icon_smile.gif

Permission to envy you fiercely, madam!

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Flexible deadlines Aug 19, 2014

As consulting translators, independent linguists, etc., we often forget that we have the power to dictate our own conditions.

I always try to push back when a client has a “tight” deadline. I recently received a 13,000-word request (on which I'm working) about which the project manager asked to let her know if I needed more time.

Priceless.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but rarely Aug 19, 2014

I have one client I translated a book for a couple of years ago. Last month he sent me some short stories to translate and there is no deadline, so theoretically I can take as long as I like.
However, I'm finding it so time consuming compared to the material I usually translate that I've recruited a couple of colleagues to help out - otherwise I would probably never get it done!
On the other hand, the rest of my clients usually need their material translated quickly and some of them seem to always be in a terrible rush, no matter how hard they try to organise themselves better.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, quite often! Aug 19, 2014

One of my regular clients (a high-paying direct client) has two types of deadlines: hard (urgent) and soft (whenever you can). Curiously enough I get more of the second category than of the first, though from time to time it happens that one job gets “promoted” and suddenly turns urgent…

Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, but not automatically Aug 19, 2014

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

I also focus on working with direct clients and find them a lot more flexible in general.

However, in most cases, this is the result of some careful explanations of my workflow - that I'm not sitting around, anxiously awaiting the next project, but am almost always booked a week ahead and that rush jobs mean night shift work for me and are therefore more expensive.

Most of them got organised very quickly to allow for generous deadlines wherever possible. One client has even made a habit of sending me all texts a full month in advance.

Naturally, if these considerate clients face an actual urgency, I will pull out all stops.

Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Only once Aug 19, 2014

Once a client told me there is no rush for my translation. It was a real pleasure to work on that assignment. And yes, it was a direct client.

Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes Aug 19, 2014

Yes, I have 5 years experience in a medical textbook translation project from several medical publishers which usually have a very flexible deadline.

[Edited at 2014-08-19 10:47 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Others Aug 19, 2014

Not so much with a flexible but rather with a generous deadline that provides me with a comfortable working environment.

Most of the jobs have a non-negotiable dealine, but only a few of those have a very tight deadline.

[Edited at 2014-08-19 15:47 GMT]

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:00
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Aug 19, 2014

In recent years, especially, I've been educating my customers about the need and advantages of flexibility in deadlines.

Translation speed is affected by a variety of factors, primarily dependent on the difficulty of the source text. I tell them, "I know what I'm capable of and I can give you what you want. If you want a decent translation, let me translate at my speed." The smart customers have listened. Others that don't have become part of the natural food chain and fallen by the wayside. They still can't understand why translators leave them when subjected to unnecessary pressure and they have to recruit yet again.

Regarding non-negotiable deadlines. Well, if I have nothing on my plate and I'm motivated, then working to that deadline is no big deal. You either accept or decline.

I must add that I am quite fast anyway in my areas of expertise and will do favours for special customers. But, ssshhhh! Don't tell anyone. icon_smile.gif

Small edit

[Edited at 2014-08-20 00:28 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 19, 2014

Several of my clients regularly ask 'when can you deliver?' when asking me about a possible job.

Most of the regular ones organise reasonable deadlines when they can, even if they are not actually negotiable. They allow me the leeway to organise my time comfortably, and that is just as good.

I am in the lucky position that I have ditched the clients who are always in a hurry. It is a sign of bad planning and organisation.

I still get my share of rushed jobs, and I am willing to help if I can, but I insist on negotiating the best possible deadlines even then. Clients have to be educated, but they are human and understand that we are human, so it is well worth the effort.

You can be good, cheap or fast in translation, but not all three at once.
I concentrate first and foremost on being as good as possible, and that means I have to take my time. And I have to make a living...

[Edited at 2014-08-19 17:28 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm used to being asked when I can do it Aug 19, 2014

The idea of the client's deadline only really comes into play when it's hyper-urgent or I'm very busy - in the latter case we work out whether they can wait until I have time to do it, or whether they'd like to pay more to jump the queue (other deadlines permitting, of course).

My experience of "whenever you have time" is that the client isn't actually giving you the right to take weeks over a couple of thousand wordsicon_wink.gif.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever receive job requests with very flexible deadlines?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search